What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 64GB WiFi problems (cannot connect)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not been able to download any apps for 3-4 days now. This is not a problem with my routers. I believe that something is wrong at the Apple end of the chain.

Are you trying to download them directly to your iPad or to your PC and then sync them with the iPad? I'm presuming that other Internet applications are working fine - i.e. you can get email or visit other websites.

When you say that you've been unable to download apps, how far do you get in the process? Are you able to choose an app but it doesn't download or perhaps you can't even visit the App Store?

Tim

tecwritr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was trying to download through my iPad. I finally went to my laptop, it's also on my wifi network, and synced through iTunes. That fixed the problem and I can download on my iPad now too.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tecwritr said:
I was trying to download through my iPad. I finally went to my laptop, it's also on my wifi network, and synced through iTunes. That fixed the problem and I can download on my iPad now too.

Great, we always like to hear about success.

clayg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an ipad 2 last week and everything was great til today when I tried to use a hotspot for internet. the connection was showing up but safari or itunes "could not make a an internet connection". I've used the hotspot several times in the past few days. When I got home I tried the linksys connection and got the same results. After several reboots I finally got a connection. Not a good start to my first apple purchase.

after reviewing most of the posts here, I think there is definately a software issue with the wifi connections.

salmonli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the way to fix

I register this forums just want to share my experience to fix this problem.
I have exactly same problem as bikerthomas the first day I bought ipad2.
By my case, I have a router connecting with internet, and one bridge which can provide wireless connection for any wireless facilities. (laptop, iphone, ipad).
Router’s ip is 192.168.1.1. All ip get from router will be between 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.255. One point is my bridge’s default ip is 192.168.0.200. My subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. I think when bridge works in this network, it will be allocated to a 192.168.1.XXX ip address instead of its default one. My laptop and iphone work fine in this net work. But my ipad2 could not. Same problem as you guys.
What I did is:
1. updated latest firmware to bridge.
By this step, ipad2 still could not connect to internet.
2. set router’s ip address to 192.168.0.1. (before it was 192.168.1.1) so bridge started to use its default ip 192.168.0.200. After that, I shut down all facilities using wireless connection. Then, deleted existing wifi setting from ipad and requested new ip from router (DHCP).
This time ipad2 could get 192.168.XXX.XXX.
Btw, my router is Buffalo AG54.
Hope the information above could give you some help for this problem.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I register this forums just want to share my experience to fix this problem.
I have exactly same problem as bikerthomas the first day I bought ipad2.
By my case, I have a router connecting with internet, and one bridge which can provide wireless connection for any wireless facilities. (laptop, iphone, ipad).
Router’s ip is 192.168.1.1. All ip get from router will be between 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.255. One point is my bridge’s default ip is 192.168.0.200. My subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. I think when bridge works in this network, it will be allocated to a 192.168.1.XXX ip address instead of its default one. My laptop and iphone work fine in this net work. But my ipad2 could not. Same problem as you guys.
What I did is:
1. updated latest firmware to bridge.
By this step, ipad2 still could not connect to internet.
2. set router’s ip address to 192.168.0.1. (before it was 192.168.1.1) so bridge started to use its default ip 192.168.0.200. After that, I shut down all facilities using wireless connection. Then, deleted existing wifi setting from ipad and requested new ip from router (DHCP).
This time ipad2 could get 192.168.XXX.XXX.
Btw, my router is Buffalo AG54.
Hope the information above could give you some help for this problem.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post this - it will be a great help to other Members with the same problem. Much appreciated.

Tim

BrettsCronje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all.

I am a brand new Apple client, with a new ipad2, version 4.3.3 Just tried the wifi out at a hot spot. It was slow (even slower than 3G), Safari and mail could connect but not the apple store ( got the infamous "could not connect message") Then it also dropped after 20 minutes. (The hotspot is rated as very good by the way!)

I think an earlier post hit the nail on the head. This is a thin client mobile device. It has to work in any wifi space, at home, at the office, in a store, in a cafe.

It is just ridiculous that it is this hard. It defeats the whole point. It should plug and play without any interference.

So as a very disillusioned microsoft client, who was looking forward to the wonderful world of Apple, I am now doubly disillusioned.

PS lets not even mention some of the other software disapointments, like most of my web sites dont run.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all.

I am a brand new Apple client, with a new ipad2, version 4.3.3 Just tried the wifi out at a hot spot. It was slow (even slower than 3G), Safari and mail could connect but not the apple store ( got the infamous "could not connect message") Then it also dropped after 20 minutes. (The hotspot is rated as very good by the way!)

I think an earlier post hit the nail on the head. This is a thin client mobile device. It has to work in any wifi space, at home, at the office, in a store, in a cafe.

It is just ridiculous that it is this hard. It defeats the whole point. It should plug and play without any interference.

So as a very disillusioned microsoft client, who was looking forward to the wonderful world of Apple, I am now doubly disillusioned.

PS lets not even mention some of the other software disapointments, like most of my web sites dont run.

I am sorry to hear this. I'm not sure why some iPad users have such problems and others - myself included - have never had a single problem since the first day I had my iPad. It connects to any WiFi hotspot I've ever visited - friend's houses, Starbucks, trains and buses too and the download speed is lightening fast. I wish we could identify what it is that makes such a distinction between one iPad and another and help iron out some of the problems that people face.

Tim

dpippel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The router "solutions" presented so far may be options for home users, but aren't relevant to public WiFi access at all. As someone else already mentioned, you can't very well tweak the router or WAPs at Starbucks. There's a wider issue at work here and I think it lies squarely in Apple's lap.

I've owned my 64GB iPad2 for 6 weeks now and have NEVER been able to successfully connect it to a single public WiFi hotspot. Airports? Nope. Coffee shops? Nope. Libraries? Nope. It seems that any wireless network using browser redirection to register your MAC address in order to gain access is confusing Safari. That's my theory anyway, and of course we're stuck with Safari and only Safari unless we jailbreak (thanks Apple).

My iPad2 can connect to my router at home and at work with no problems whatsoever and it does so every time. On the other hand, both my HTC smartphone and my Windows 7 laptop can connect just fine to several of the public wireless networks that choke my iPad2. To my mind this is clearly an iPad and/or iOS problem; one I'd like to find a solution for quickly. IMO the iPad is pretty useless without trouble-free and reliable wireless.

So, it's my first post here. I'm sure I'll get bashed. I don't mind. I'm more interested in getting to the bottom of this problem. Anyone?

Last edited:

BrettsCronje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, i went back to my istore today where I had purchased my ipad. (it is in fact the head office here in South Africa). The wifi worked even worse than at the coffee shop. Slow, settings changed (mail inbox synchronised, but not the sent folder), not a chance any apps would download.

The execuse was that all of their shop computers were also running slow.

So i left without learning anything.

At a friend's business (IT shop), it connected ok, but again seemed to be slower than 3G. Surely this is wrong.

Matt_Jess

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can try these solutions

[FONT=&quot]You may find out technical solutions or ask for online tech support according to your concrete conditions by Google "How to fix Wi-Fi cannot connect to Internet Tee Support" [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Honehatesme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, this is exactly what I've been seeing, I've had iPad browsing fine with no issues until..... I changed the broadband plan with my provider (more data). Since then I get the 169 IP address. I've reset the router, reset the configuration from scratch, tried no security, with security and was still getting the 169.n.n.n address on the iPad. I even tried renewing the lease, using different DNS and static IP addresses and still nothing worked. What is weird is that my MacBook Pro and Windows laptop all work fine wireless just my iPad not able to get DHCP. (yes my DHCP scope is large enough).
WHAT FIXED IT IN THE END IS.... I switched off WIFI which I had already done before but left it for the duration of the the lease configured on the router. Switched it back on and hey presto. All I gotta get working now is my Apple Tv which can't register a dhcp address now.

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[I'll leave my 'ranty' post here rather than delete it... BUT...note a few posts further down that I resolved my [personal] situation by: 1) powering off the iPad, 2) rebooting my wireless router, then 3) powering up iPad. Both then shook hands again gracefully...]

Today I find myself running into this same blasted 169 DHCP issue :(. I have tried *nearly everything* suggested down through this thread (did someone suggest whipping the iPad out the window?...I don't recall, but I'm feeling it!). I didn't try buying a 'ban Apple airport extreme router'??? And I did not download latest router drivers. But...c'mon...this flaky issue as you'll read below all the sudden happens against ALL wireless routers I'm encountering. THAT is not a fault of a specific router. It has to be that the iPad is at fault somehow.

I first experienced it at my corporate office, where when we identified the mis-assignment of the 169 IP addy, we manually entered all the goodies. While that proved fine for the iPad while at work...as soon as I got home I discovered it was flaking out the same way mis-assigning a 169 IP to my home wireless as well. Note: since one of the suggestions on this thread was to dump/reset all network settings, obviously the manually keyed items for the work network are chucked now (I'll deal with that in the am back at the office I suppose...)

I can't understand why folks keep pointing to it being a problem with a specific router (when time and again through this thread / folks' reported troubles), its evident that the iPad is faultily assigning an IP address for the routers.

GOD, but this is frustrating. I googled the problem on my home PC (which works peeeeeeerfectly fine on my wireless router btw), to see that this was apparently a somewhat heavy issue back around April & May...but I'm not coming across many current posts/threads covering this same turf.

I just purchased this iPad new from BB last Thursday. Its wireless has been working FLAWLESSLY...at work...at home...and visiting a family member's home/wireless network. I *can* report that yesterday afternoon it was extreeeeeeeeeemely slow to connect to web pages while at the office (perhaps a precursor to the results of today?). But when I left work, I don't recall having connected the iPad to the internet for anything at the house. I do recall that, having removed some unwanted apps from the iPad and from iTunes...I'd opted to sync before going to bed. And once the sync completed, I connected it to power to charge up overnight. That was that...then this am the no-go IP 169 reassignment ceeerap at work. Seriously...is there no dead-on known solution for this???

Any additional / newly known solutions are MOST welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Dave

I know this is an old thread, but it seems to still be an issue with the iPad2 which is extraordinarily frustrating given the cost of the thing. Both my iPod Touch, my wife's Touch, my laptop, and her netbook can connect w/o any issues or ever losing the settings to my wireless network. I'll add that I've never had an issue connecting at public hotspots either. Today in work the iPad refused to connect to an open connection, while my Touch happily connected right away.

There absolutely is something wrong with the iPad if it can't keep a wi-fi connection. It may be a QC issue with a component, I don't know - but given the number of posts I've found in less than 24 hours there does seem to be an issue that Apple needs to address. I wish I had done some more reading here before buying. I've never had any problems with the iPod Touch, but wanted something bigger. Sure I can use the 3G connection, but that's downright silly when I have a wi-fi connection at home.

Sorry, just venting. Hopefully I can resolve the issue with mine when I get home - I'll try everything I've found in the forums. If I'm not satisfied it goes back for an exchange.

Mark

Last edited:

flick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None of these solutions work. I am so sick of apple and it's connectivity issues. Whether it's my time capsule on my iMac, my iPhone or my iPad - they are all the same - none of them hold a reliable internet connection using wi-fi. I am going back to blackberry - a much more reliable product that works and doesn't have me wanting to pitch it out the window every day. :mad:

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None of these solutions work. I am so sick of apple and it's connectivity issues. Whether it's my time capsule on my iMac, my iPhone or my iPad - they are all the same - none of them hold a reliable internet connection using wi-fi. I am going back to blackberry - a much more reliable product that works and doesn't have me wanting to pitch it out the window every day. :mad:

In your case it sounds like it's something other than an Apple problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts