What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 64GB WiFi problems (cannot connect)

OP
B

BikerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not his router settings, he's already stated he tried other open WiFi networks and hotspots and resetting his network settings on the iPad also setting static IP. (however was not clear if he used the proper subnet and or separate DNS than his networks default)

There is something else amiss here.

Thomas, try the static again this time use dns from another source like dns 2go, or some similar other than one from Norway.

OK, I'll try that tonight. What's the dns2go DNS address?

I guess I could try Google's public DNS as well Using Google Public DNS

QUOTE:

The Google Public DNS IP addresses are as follows:
You can use either number as your primary or secondary DNS server. You can specify both numbers, but do not specify one number as both primary and secondary

/QUOTE

I'll let ya know if it works or not.

benty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't know if you fixed your problem or not since the last post was over a week ago. But I just came across this post after mine started doing the exact same thing.

I fixed mine by just doing Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. Soon as I did that I was able to connect to the internet. BTW mine had been connecting to my wifi no problem for a couple weeks and then just suddenly stopped.

iDude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Issue with 169.x.x.x IP Addresses.

When I setup my iPad, I could connect to my wireless access point, however, I couldn't browser to the web. I was receiving an IP address from the WAP, and, from other devices on the same subnet, I could ping the iPad's IP address. As it turns out, my internal IP address scheme was using a 169.x.x.x address, and it appears the iPad will not communicate when this address space is used. The 169 IP address space is often used as an IP address a system will use if it can't pull a real DHCP IP address. Once I changed my internal IP address scheme from the 169 space, the iPad connected. Like the OP, I was seeing the following error from Safari.

"Cannot Open Page: Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the Internet"

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

SpenceOC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem with WiFi and iPad

This problem has been determined to be a bug in Safari.

On some networks (like home network) you have a WEP code or something similar to get connected.

Very often when you go to an airport or office and try to log in, especially to an open network, the iPad may have worked the day before but now it won't work.

The Problem was determined to be a setting in Safari for iPad that will be fixed in an update at some time in the future.

Go to Settings
Select Safari
Look at the AutoFill option.
Click on Autofill
Turn off Names & Passwords (It will automatically clear what's in there)

Close Settings

ReOpen Settings
Select Network
Select your network
And it will work fine!

Good Luck!

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just wanted to let you know because I haven't seen it discussed yet: Apple has confirmed that on some iPads, turning the brightness down and/or turning on auto adjust will cause connection problems.

On my iPad, I can confirm that this fixed my problem 100%

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just wanted to let you know because I haven't seen it discussed yet: Apple has confirmed that on some iPads, turning the brightness down and/or turning on auto adjust will cause connection problems.

On my iPad, I can confirm that this fixed my problem 100%.

My iPad was not re-acquiring my wifi access point anytime I used the sleep button. Turning off "autosense" in brightness fixed that for good. Since the sleep button just turns off the display, it appears that wifi is closely connected to the LED backlighting - which is just weird.

OP
B

BikerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score

On my iPad, I can confirm that this fixed my problem 100%.

My iPad was not re-acquiring my wifi access point anytime I used the sleep button. Turning off "autosense" in brightness fixed that for good. Since the sleep button just turns off the display, it appears that wifi is closely connected to the LED backlighting - which is just weird.

Thanks for the tip guys, but this doesn't apply to my problem. I've already tried turning the brightness to max. I know some people lose their network when the iPad goes into sleep mode, but mine connects just fine but doesn't get a proper IP-address. I've tried several different networks. I've also tried resetting my entire iPad.

RaveD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip guys, but this doesn't apply to my problem. I've already tried turning the brightness to max. I know some people lose their network when the iPad goes into sleep mode, but mine connects just fine but doesn't get a proper IP-address. I've tried several different networks. I've also tried resetting my entire iPad.
Let me know if you resolve this; I have the same issue. iPad connects to my network but DHCP fails to get an address.

I can connect if I specify a Static IP. However, the iPad then forgets this Static IP and I have to re-enter it every time. This is especially annoying since the iPad loses connectivity to the WiFi network frequently.

I'm using an ActionTec router from Verizon FiOS which I've read has some connectivity problems with the iPad, but nothing specific to DHCP.

SpenceOC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Won't Log Onto Wifi - Safari Bug

Hi all,

This problem is a known bug in Safari on the iPad. Select SETTINGS and then SAFARI.

Turn OFF the autofill function until the problem is fixed.

You might find that it works when you connect at a normal WEP network, then you go to work or an airport where you have an OPEN Wifi, and it won't work. Or it will work one day at the airport/open network but after you use the iPad at the WEP network and go back to the airport or open network suddenly it won't work again.

Just turn off the function and you will be fine. It will be fixed in iOS4 and in any future Safari for iPad that comes out.

Hope this helps.

Spence

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
BikerThomas From looking at your screenshot, your iPad is not being assigned a proper IP and DNS info from your routers DHCP server.

You may want to check your routers settings and make sure DHCP server is enabled.
If that fails, you can try and manualy set the IP settings.

If you have a windows computer open up the command prompt (start>run> type cmd)
Type ipconfig /all

it will then list your PC's IP info like the ip address, subnet, DNS...
in your ipads IP settings change it to manual and set everything to be the same as what is listed for your PC except for the IP address. if it says your computers IP address is 192.168.1.5 set your IP to a higher number like 192.168.1.15.

If you do that and its still not working with a manually assigned IP and the auto brightness/autofill changes dont work. I would take it in to apple for an exchange.

thompson03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just started experiencing this problem. Was able to fix by reseting network settings (as opposed to all settings)

Prior to the ipad officially quiting accessing the wifi, I was having to re-enter my pin number for secure network like every 5 minutes. This was going on most of the day, then it finally said "interned not connected" until I read this thread and tried the reset.

Renshi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cannot connect to server

We had this issue about 3months after purchase, would intermittently not connect. My son, the rocket scientist, could not fix. Then one day our power went out. Our iMac now would not connect to comcast when power came back on. We called comcast, they told us to unplug everything, wait a few minutes, and try again. Now my iPad, iMac and wires netbook all connect faster and better then ever... Hope that this helps....

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We had this issue about 3months after purchase, would intermittently not connect. My son, the rocket scientist, could not fix. Then one day our power went out. Our iMac now would not connect to comcast when power came back on. We called comcast, they told us to unplug everything, wait a few minutes, and try again. Now my iPad, iMac and wires netbook all connect faster and better then ever... Hope that this helps....

Thats kind of like a full reboot. When u cut the power off n leave it off for a few mins then cut back on. You will notice u have alot more ram. I do that with my htc tilt2 every once in a while when runnin slow. Ill take out the battery for a lil, put back in and im good to go.
I sorta had similar issue that ipad was connected then suddenly stopped. Actually, it said i was still connected and everything but i wasnt getting any data coming into the ipad when i checked the different browsers. So i just cut off my ipad and phone for a min. Then cut back on. Afterwards, no problems. Plus i figure with all the jailbraking and modding, its good to power off n on once in a while.

m_photo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"
Issue with 169.x.x.x IP Addresses.
When I setup my iPad, I could connect to my wireless access point, however, I couldn't browser to the web. I was receiving an IP address from the WAP, and, from other devices on the same subnet, I could ping the iPad's IP address. As it turns out, my internal IP address scheme was using a 169.x.x.x address, and it appears the iPad will not communicate when this address space is used. The 169 IP address space is often used as an IP address a system will use if it can't pull a real DHCP IP address. Once I changed my internal IP address scheme from the 169 space, the iPad connected. Like the OP, I was seeing the following error from Safari."

I am having this exact problem. My IP address is a 169.xxx one and my subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 It shows no more info for router, DNS, etc. How do you change the internal IP address scheme as the poster I quoted did? Thanks so much! My ipad has always worked everywhere and just stopped today.

Most reactions

Latest posts