What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Support Group Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do need some help ripping dvd's though. I use handbrake on my pc and The avatar DVD (not bluray version) came out terribly pixelated and at over 9GB's! I tried the appletv preset. Anyone know how to get this to work?

Edlex, try this. I copied avatar with these settings. Copied as 9 g but image was flawless.

Follow the optimal settings to get excellent playback quality.
Video:
Codec: h264
Size: 640*480
Bitrate: 2500kbps
Frame rate: 30fps
Audio:
Codec: aac
Sample rate: 48khz
Bitrate: 160kbps
Channels: Stereo

Thank you brhon, I'll try it today and report back.

Gmunford

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 quick points.

1. Are we glad we waited for the 3g???

2. I dont understand the chatter that the iPad is good for consumption but not that good for creation. That's ridiculous. I've already found it one of the most productive work tools I own. (Did, of course, enjoy watching a couple of Dick Van Dyke reruns sitting on the sofa with my wife last night). What an awesome little machine!

cctiger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that I've had it for a few days, I'm still totally in awe of this new gadget. I've decided that I can go ahead and sell my MacBook (unless my daughter or grandson whine a whole lot first...) as I really don't need it anymore. I used the laptop mainly for on-the-road internet access, emails, approving proofs, etc. Using the laptop to show clients stuff was clumsy, and I have to admit much slower than the iPad. I haven't missed Flash at all on my iPhone and don't miss with the iPad either, so time to dump the MacBook!

Biggest surprise was related to public use. Initially I looked forward to taking it to meetings, coffee shop, etc., to show off but now I find it hard to actually get things done with all the oohs and ahhs, questions, "can I try it?" requests and such that now I'm looking for a nice, smaller carrying device to help keep it a bit more, . . . discreet, etc.

Maybe I can find a folio disguised as a MacBook???? :):D

I don't know about disguised as a Macbook, but Incase makes a travel case thats pretty impressive, looks kinda like a netbook back. Has a fleece lined compartment for the Ipad, and storage compartments for your charger and any accessories.

icepulse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's an app caled "Mover+" that costs $2.

If you run it on both iPhone and iPad, you can add pics and vids to a virtual tabletop on the iPhone, and when you flick the pictures up, the slide onto the iPad tabletop.... automatically saved to your Photos app. It's a quick, cheap way to transfer pics from phone to Pad. Works over Bluetooth or Wifi.

Just a quick tip!!

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's an app caled "Mover+" that costs $2.

If you run it on both iPhone and iPad, you can add pics and vids to a virtual tabletop on the iPhone, and when you flick the pictures up, the slide onto the iPad tabletop.... automatically saved to your Photos app. It's a quick, cheap way to transfer pics from phone to Pad. Works over Bluetooth or Wifi.

Just a quick tip!!

I really wish sprint would hurry up and get the iphone already. I love my palm pre but the synergy between the iphone and ipad is awesome.

Fisherman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a question and I think this may be the place to ask it but if not then please feel free to re-direct me.

I got my 3G on Friday like everyone else and I must say it's pretty cool and that is coming from an old retired PC IT guy. Since I am so used to the way a PC operates it is a real learning experience for me to discover all the new ways of doing things on the iPad and that brings me to my question. I've found a way to do RDP that seems to work just fine but for those times when I don't need or can't get to my PC but yet still want to go out to some specific sites on the web does anyone know of a way to bring my "favorites" over from internet explorer? If I could do that then the iPad would be such a tool it might even get me away from the desktop. Anyway thanks in advance for any help.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another here who wishes there were arrow keys available. The nice thing about it is that it is a software fix, so maybe we will get them later. When Jobs first introduced the mouse, they deleted the arrow keys to force programmers to adopt it properly, then after everyone got familar with it, brought the arrows back.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another here who wishes there were arrow keys available. The nice thing about it is that it is a software fix, so maybe we will get them later. When Jobs first introduced the mouse, they deleted the arrow keys to force programmers to adopt it properly, then after everyone got familar with it, brought the arrows back.

Arrow keys would be great. Sometimes it's hard move within a document without them.

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greg,

You can turn off capitalize in settings - general - keyboard - auto-capitalization

I also found that you can turn on caps lock on this same screen.

Oh yea! Very nice. How crazy -The configuration is in the configuration screen... :p

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do need some help ripping dvd's though. I use handbrake on my pc and The avatar DVD (not bluray version) came out terribly pixelated and at over 9GB's! I tried the appletv preset. Anyone know how to get this to work?

Edlex, try this. I copied avatar with these settings. Copied as 9 g but image was flawless.

Follow the optimal settings to get excellent playback quality.
Video:
Codec: h264
Size: 640*480
Bitrate: 2500kbps
Frame rate: 30fps
Audio:
Codec: aac
Sample rate: 48khz
Bitrate: 160kbps
Channels: Stereo

Thank you brhon, I'll try it today and report back.

Well another bust. I have to be doing something wrong but I don't know what. This time the file was 12GB! Totally pixelated with choppy audio. I need some serious step by step advice here.:eek:

Celeste

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad keeps asking me to log into iTunes even when I'm not using iTunes. Does anyone know why?

DanaTheEwok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 quick points.

1. Are we glad we waited for the 3g???

2. I dont understand the chatter that the iPad is good for consumption but not that good for creation. That's ridiculous. I've already found it one of the most productive work tools I own. (Did, of course, enjoy watching a couple of Dick Van Dyke reruns sitting on the sofa with my wife last night). What an awesome little machine!

I totally agree. My husband and I watched the movie Blind Side in bed on the IPAD.

Today we went for a tutoring class at the Apple store. Lauren was great. My husband is beginning to appreciate is IPAD WiFi and I love my 3G. Movies, maps, email, games, and much more. AWESOME!!!!!

Dana

3G
WiFi
Touch

jamstefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So.... I got back from my vacation trip, and my iPad was waiting for me in my studio.

I just downloaded the new iTunes, updated all apps, and I'm ready to open the box and get my baby going.

I had to wait -had a blast during my vacation, so it made up for the hipoipadsitis... But now I will experience what you guys experienced last week.

Wish me luck!

sickpup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a question and I think this may be the place to ask it but if not then please feel free to re-direct me.

I got my 3G on Friday like everyone else and I must say it's pretty cool and that is coming from an old retired PC IT guy. Since I am so used to the way a PC operates it is a real learning experience for me to discover all the new ways of doing things on the iPad and that brings me to my question. I've found a way to do RDP that seems to work just fine but for those times when I don't need or can't get to my PC but yet still want to go out to some specific sites on the web does anyone know of a way to bring my "favorites" over from internet explorer? If I could do that then the iPad would be such a tool it might even get me away from the desktop. Anyway thanks in advance for any help.

Sync your iPad to your computer and when iTunes starts, on the left click on your iPad name and you will see tabs. They will start with summary, info, apps, etc. click on info and move to the bottom and you will see Other. Click on the box next to "Sync bookmarks with", and chose Internet explorer. The very bottom of page to the right click on apply and it will sync your favorites to Safari. In Safari they are called Bookmarks instead of Favorites. Hope this it what you needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts