What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Support Group Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple does that as a test charge to make sure you are good for the money. They will reverse the tansatcion within three days.

Interesting! Thanks.

I don't understand the rationale behind placing a hold, then releasing it, and then charging again 1 or 2 weeks later...

Maybe you can explain?

From a business perspective, each transaction has a cost. I don't think Apple needs to see if you're "good for the money," hence incurring in additional costs. With an average of 300,000 iPads ordered online, I don't think Apple will swallow $30,000 just to see if their customers are "good for their money." They will just grab an iPad from the lot -based on a pre-printed packing slip, place an order fulfillment sticker in the package, and when scanned on its way out to the FedEx/UPS holding area, it will process the card on file. If you're "not good for your money," your iPad will stay there until you solve the issue (new credit card, etc.).

Again, if people are seeing posted transactions for the full amount of their iPad, shipment is imminent, at least based on common sense.

Look over past posts, Apple did it the day they started taking pre orders. Google is your friend in this case.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I placed an order for the 16 gig 3G yesterday at 6 pm PST and it was charged right away and was standard shipping. Just checked it and now it says priority shipping. Fingers crossed!!!

Edited: I mean the funds were taken out immediately!

Apple does that as a test charge to make sure you are good for the money. They will reverse the transaction within three days.
I can not see the last 24 hours on my AMEX so I don't know if they are charging cards this weekend yet. I just looked.

I ordered on March 29th. They checked my card, but didn't put a charge on it. I just checked and there isn't any charges on it from them. BTW, I set my card up so that it will automatically email me when the balance goes over a certain amount (the amount for an iPad) and I have received a notification.

I don't know what to make of the "priority" and "standard" shipping. It seems to have switch from standard to priority for some people over the last day or so, while some people are still reporting it as standard. What's up with that? If you still have standard shipping, can you post when you ordered and the state that you live in? Maybe it's geographical?

I still say we should ask everyone and anyone at Apple about when they will ship, and any other questions we can think up. Some people are going to get pissed at us, but we are still customers. They aren't going to hold back our iPads because we kept hounding them. We are the cream of the crop as far as customers. Once we get our iPads, were going to tell everyone how great they are. You can't buy marketing like that!

jamstefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting! Thanks.

I don't understand the rationale behind placing a hold, then releasing it, and then charging again 1 or 2 weeks later...

Maybe you can explain?

From a business perspective, each transaction has a cost. I don't think Apple needs to see if you're "good for the money," hence incurring in additional costs. With an average of 300,000 iPads ordered online, I don't think Apple will swallow $30,000 just to see if their customers are "good for their money." They will just grab an iPad from the lot -based on a pre-printed packing slip, place an order fulfillment sticker in the package, and when scanned on its way out to the FedEx/UPS holding area, it will process the card on file. If you're "not good for your money," your iPad will stay there until you solve the issue (new credit card, etc.).

Again, if people are seeing posted transactions for the full amount of their iPad, shipment is imminent, at least based on common sense.

Look over past posts, Apple did it the day they started taking pre orders. Google is your friend in this case.

Still... It is weird! I don't get it.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Maybe you can explain?

If you figure it out tell us why.

I sort of thought that was strange too, but I realize we are dealing with a generation of people whom you can not trust.

Wasn't it Regan, "Trust, but verify."

Did I get that right? Is it whom or who when matched with generation?

Last edited:

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the latest news on the release date for 3G?

Don't know, why not do a Google Search for "avatar 100 x 100", find one you like then the go to 'USER CP' here and edit your signature by uploading your favorite one. That willl help you pass, what five minutes?

:)

:D

paul65k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am embarrassed to report that I cracked and bought the WiFi iPad at Best Buy today. I went to take a look and touch one while I wait for my 3G and they had one more 64g in stock. They have a 2 week return policy (don't get 30 days on computer equipment) and while I love it I am pretty sure that it will go back in favor of the 3G version. I know it will mean having no iPad for a period of time while I wait but I think it was worth it to get the edge off. I wish everyone in the support thread the best and will be back with you in two weeks.

-Greg
Not that I'd ever do this but..............you could take it back in 14 days and then buy another one on the way out of the store and take it back in 14 days if the 3G still isn't shipping etc, etc, etc.

Too bad Costco isn't selling iPads....then you could get a new one every 90 days :D

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am embarrassed to report that I cracked and bought the WiFi iPad at Best Buy today. I went to take a look and touch one while I wait for my 3G and they had one more 64g in stock. They have a 2 week return policy (don't get 30 days on computer equipment) and while I love it I am pretty sure that it will go back in favor of the 3G version. I know it will mean having no iPad for a period of time while I wait but I think it was worth it to get the edge off. I wish everyone in the support thread the best and will be back with you in two weeks.

-Greg
Not that I'd ever do this but..............you could take it back in 14 days and then buy another one on the way out of the store and take it back in 14 days if the 3G still isn't shipping etc, etc, etc.

Too bad Costco isn't selling iPads....then you could get a new one every 90 days :D

I'm getting dangerously close to doing the same damned thing. My therapist suggested that I buy one and then sell internationally - but I think there will be a glut after tomorrow. Yep - that's right. I had to start going to a therapist over this whole iPad thing. She says she's seeing 8 other patients with the same condition.

paul65k

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I sort of thought that was strange too, but I realize we are dealing with a generation of people whom you can not trust.

I seem to recall that there is actually a federal interstate commerce regulation about just this issue. While I don't know all the details, I do remember when I was setting up the Toshiba Direct web sales about 10 years ago that there was a regulation about how soon you have to ship a product after you charge someone's CC. In a mail order or Internet transaction I seem to remember that if you can't ship the product within 10 days after collecting funds you are required by law to refund the charges and not charge again until you are within 24 hours of expected shipping. Checking to make sure you have the credit available likely does not constitute a charge and expemt from this regulation, but at the same time allows Apple to make sure you can pay and hold your place in the queue???

Please don't flame me on the exact details as this was a long time ago and I was not the expert only the recepient of the data, but I am guessing this is why they are acting this way....or something like that.:confused:

jamstefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ok...

I think I might have a theory.

When pre-ordering, Apple takes the credit card as good, as any other merchant would when accepting credit cards as form of payment. Prior to shipping, they place a hold, and settle the charge upon actual shipping. Here's when they can tell if your card is iPad friendly or not -read: has enough cushion to take the hit. People who pre-ordered the WiFi iPad started experiencing pre-authorizations in their cards as early as March 25, a week before their iPads were shipped. Now, some news outlets reported that many 3G pre-orders experienced these charges as well, even though the 3G iPads were not being shipped for another 30+ days. I attribute this to a "oops" moment, just another MobileMe f-up.

Fast forward until today. Some people are experiencing holds/pre-authorizations on their cards. The way these holds are detected by the buyer will vary depending on the bank that issues the card; some will see a lower available credit, or pending transactions, or a combination of both. As far as I know, indefinite holds are allowed in certain merchant categories (hotels, car rentals, etc.) where the fulfillment is delivered upon physical presence of the card holder, which is not the case here.

My take is that we will see movement sooner than we think, based on the above and when you add the shipment method upgrade experienced across the board on iPad 3G orders, and the Q2 2010 report to be made public on 04/20.

I might be wrong, but at this point...

And yes, it was Ronald Reagan who said that... But it is also known that it is a Russian proverb, and he used it a lot when dealing with Gorbachev, so I think it was Gorbi who told Ronnie that in the first place ;)

And I'm not so sure about the who/whom thing... Subject is I (who) [realize we are dealing...]. I think in this case, the proper use should be "I sort of thought that was strange too, but I realize we are dealing with a generation of people who cannot be trusted.

paul65k

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ok...

When pre-ordering, Apple takes the credit card as good, as any other merchant would when accepting credit cards as form of payment. Prior to shipping, they place a hold, and settle the charge upon actual shipping. Here's when they can tell if your card is iPad friendly or not -read: has enough cushion to take the hit. People who pre-ordered the WiFi iPad started experiencing pre-authorizations in their cards as early as March 25, a week before their iPads were shipped. Now, some news outlets reported that many 3G pre-orders experienced these charges as well, even though the 3G iPads were not being shipped for another 30+ days. I attribute this to a "oops" moment, just another MobileMe f-up.

Fast forward until today. Some people are experiencing holds/pre-authorizations on their cards. The way these holds are detected by the buyer will vary depending on the bank that issues the card; some will see a lower available credit, or pending transactions, or a combination of both. As far as I know, indefinite holds are allowed in certain merchant categories (hotels, car rentals, etc.) where the fulfillment is delivered upon physical presence of the card holder, which is not the case here.

My take is that we will see movement sooner than we think, based on the above and when you add the shipment method upgrade experienced across the board on iPad 3G orders, and the Q2 2010 report to be made public on 04/20.

And yes, it was Ronald Reagan who said that... But it is also known that it is a Russian proverb, and he used it a lot when dealing with Gorbachev, so I think it was Gorbi who told Ronnie that in the first place ;)

And I'm not so sure about the who/whom thing... Subject is I (who) [realize we are dealing...]. I think in this case, the proper use should be "I sort of thought that was strange too, but I realize we are dealing with a generation of people who cannot be trusted.
So........based on a previous post maybe this means that we are within 14 days of the 1st 3G units actually shipping.......I ordered mine on 3/12, maybe this is good news:rolleyes:

jamstefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just out!!!!

"UPDATE: Add this gem to the list, in response to an (admittedly overboard) customer complaint from Switzerland that accused Steve Jobs of “deliberately pulling the wool over the rest of the worlds [sic] eyes.â€
Are you nuts? We are doing the best we can. We need enough units to have a responsible and great launch.
ORIGINAL: We’re running out of clever things to say about Steve Jobs’ recent passion for taking over customer support at Apple, so we’ll just pass along his latest missives about the iPad 3G and its shipping status, US and international. The first one is fairly clear:
will there also be 3G models of the iPad released worldwide on the end of may or only the wifi models. Would be nice to know. Can’t wait.
Job’s answer:
Both models will be released at the end of May. Sorry for the delay
A question from iCuckoo Push [$0.99 - iTunes link] developer Manuel is where it gets trickier:
will the iPad 3G models still ship on time as planned (end of April) in the US, if I order one today? Or will the 3G US orders be postponed as well?
The response:
Yes.
Sent from my iPhone
Um, yes to the on time or yes to the postponed? Need. More. Words!"

UPDATED: Steve Jobs confirms iPad 3G to ship alongside International iPad Wi-Fi in May | TiPb

jamstefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ok...

So........based on a previous post maybe this means that we are within 14 days of the 1st 3G units actually shipping.......I ordered mine on 3/12, maybe this is good news:rolleyes:

Actually, I'm optimistic; I think we will see the first 3G shipping next week at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts