What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Support Group Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9xKQm5d1uU&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Craig Ferguson 4/9/10C Late Late Show sketch #1[/ame]

Craig's Spanish Word of the Day and Apple Genius Betty White stops by to chat about the iPad

latinnftl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why does everyone have "20 days to ship" on their posts? Wouldn't that be April 33rd?

I've read a lot of speculation in this thread - and the best guess that I have is the speculation about waiting for Saturday to pass (2 week return policy) and then firing up the process. I can't see how they can wait much longer without a date before they seriously start pi$$ing off their most loyal customers.

I think because originally the 3G was supposed to ship a month after the wifi, so... May 3rd.

And yeah, the theory about waiting til the 2-week return period is over does make sense from a business stand point. So maybe we're getting close.

The 2-week return period theory only makes sense to me if the 3Gs went on sale within the 2-week period from the launch day, presumably because those who had bought the WiFi would run out and return the WiFi one for the 3G. That to me does not explain why they have not announced the date of the 3G. The date of sale has no affect on the return policy unless they plan to surprise everyone and say they go on sale the 17th, which would overlap with the starting point of the 14-day return (again using the launch date as when the clock started). Regardless of when the 3G goes on sale, there are always going to be folks who return to trade-up or for other reasons (hence the re-stocking fee). I would also imagine that most folks who purchased the WiFi as a transition between B.iPad (that's Before-iPad) to the 3G know that they have to return within 2 weeks and that is the 17th (if they purchased it on the 3rd). Lastly, let's keep in mind that it is very unlikely that Apple is going to loose money on WiFi returns--between the re-stocking fee, what they will sell the "used" WiFi for, the additional cost of the 3G, and the differential between the cost to manufacture and the retail price I am sure they will end-up ahead (or at worst break even).

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ouch - Sorry to all of our friends on foreign soil!

Apple has released a statement delaying the international launch of the Apple iPad until late May. Read the entire press release below:

Although we have delivered more than 500,000 iPads during its first week, demand is far higher than we predicted and will likely continue to exceed our supply over the next several weeks as more people see and touch an iPad™. We have also taken a large number of pre-orders for iPad 3G models for delivery by the end of April.

Faced with this surprisingly strong US demand, we have made the difficult decision to postpone the international launch of iPad by one month, until the end of May. We will announce international pricing and begin taking online pre-orders on Monday, May 10. We know that many international customers waiting to buy an iPad will be disappointed by this news, but we hope they will be pleased to learn the reason—the iPad is a runaway success in the US thus far.

[Source: Apple.com]

frank

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i went to best buy and got a 16 gig ipad to test out . i will return it saturday 4/17 i know i,ll pay 10 per cent 50 .00 buck .but hay i got to download stuff and try the thing out. now when my fully load one comes i,ll be ready! frank

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ouch - Sorry to all of our friends on foreign soil!

Apple has released a statement delaying the international launch of the Apple iPad until late May. Read the entire press release below:

Although we have delivered more than 500,000 iPads during its first week, demand is far higher than we predicted and will likely continue to exceed our supply over the next several weeks as more people see and touch an iPadâ„¢. We have also taken a large number of pre-orders for iPad 3G models for delivery by the end of April.

Faced with this surprisingly strong US demand, we have made the difficult decision to postpone the international launch of iPad by one month, until the end of May. We will announce international pricing and begin taking online pre-orders on Monday, May 10. We know that many international customers waiting to buy an iPad will be disappointed by this news, but we hope they will be pleased to learn the reason—the iPad is a runaway success in the US thus far.

Just saw that too! Great news that they have not changed their tune on the 3G orders!

-Greg

OP
G

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i went to best buy and got a 16 gig ipad to test out . i will return it saturday 4/17 i know i,ll pay 10 per cent 50 .00 buck .but hay i got to download stuff and try the thing out. now when my fully load one comes i,ll be ready! frank

The sales guy at Best Buy told me that they don't have a restocking fee. I purchased one with the idea that I might be able to do without 3G and wanted to give it a shot to see if I really would miss the additional connectivity. I was up front about it and told him that I may want to bring it back if I can't do without 3G. I found myself in a number of situations where I wished I had 3G so it will be going back.

-Greg

rtking

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Bummer for our international friends. But for those ofvyou thinking of returning you WiFi iPads for the 3G model,you now have an international market that may buy your iPad via eBay or some other online marketplace...

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The initial surveys on this board indicated that almost 47% of the people said they would buy a 3G. Does anyone have an idea how many pre-orders Apple has for the 3G models.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The initial surveys on this board indicated that almost 47% of the people said they would buy a 3G. Does anyone have an idea how many pre-orders Apple has for the 3G models.

We probably won't hear those numbers until after the 3G launches. But by their statement regarding the international launch date it seems it's much more substantial than was originally expected or speculated.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sell that sucker on eBay

Don't return it sell it and make money.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVRMsF_o4tg"]YouTube - iPad Review[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVRMsF_o4tg"][/ame]

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why the IPad Has Inspired Me to Give Up My Toaster, My Coffeemaker, My Pants

Why the IPad Has Inspired Me to Give Up My Toaster, My Coffeemaker, My Pants

Want to Be a Pathetic, Passive, Compliant Consumer? There's an App for That

by Simon Dumenco
Published: April 12, 2010

I feel like such an idiot. Here I thought I understood consumer satisfaction -- especially my own consumer satisfaction -- but I was wrong.
It all started with the iPad. On April 3, I bought one and fell in love with it. Or thought I fell in love with it.
Among the iPad's cruel seductions: It's incredibly easy to use. The 10-plus-hour battery life and the fact that there's no boot-up lag from its idle mode make a huge difference. And though it's primarily a media-consumption device (as advertised), I've had no trouble sending the same sort of basic content out of my iPad (e.g., e-mails, tweets and documents) that I pump out of my lumpen laptop.
But it turns out I was duped. Last week, iPad in hand, I got around to reading an essay by Boing Boing's Cory Doctorow titled "Why I Won't Buy An iPad (and Think You Shouldn't, Either)," which was actually published the day before the iPad's release. Doctorow, in slamming the iPad's "infantilizing hardware" and tightly controlled apps ecosystem, wrote that "The model of interaction with the iPad is to be a 'consumer,' what William Gibson memorably described as 'something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide. ... It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth ... no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote.'"
Doctorow's anti-iPad manifesto was a throwing down of the gauntlet -- which plenty of other media types have since picked up. Like Jeff "BuzzMachine" Jarvis, who, in a Business Insider post titled "I'm Really Worried About What Apple Is Trying To Do With The iPad," wrote, "I see danger in moving from the web to apps. The iPad is retrograde. It tries to turn us back into an audience again." And he hates that the iPad has no USB ports. (To get stuff in or out of an iPad, you have to do it wirelessly or via cable.)
Reading more and more criticism of the iPad, tears began to drip out of my eyes. I looked around my double-wide (OK, actually my fifth-floor walk-up in Manhattan's East Village) with disgust -- mostly directed at myself. What a pathetic, passive, compliant consumer I've become! Like, over there, in the kitchen: my incredibly easy-to-use Senseo coffeemaker, which I thought I loved. But it only accepts certain kinds of coffee pods. How devious! And my sleek Braun toaster: Sure, it can accommodate sliced bread and bagels, but could I cook a pot roast with it? No! Does it have a camera? No!
I knew I would have to continue inventorying all the other sad little self-defeating choices I've made as a consumer, but I was so filled with rage that I resolved to first get my toaster and coffeemaker out of my life immediately. So, with the intent of bringing them, along with my iPad, down to the trash, I reached to pull some clothes onto my dickless, boiled-potato body. But then, jeans in hand, it struck me: only two ports for limbs! How ridiculously limiting!
Death to Levi's! Death to Senseo! Death to Braun! Death to Apple!
And don't get me started on the whole indoor-plumbing racket, what with those fixed pipe sizes and condescendingly simple handles and faucets and such.
Death to Kohler, too!
~ ~ ~
Simon Dumenco is the "Media Guy" media columnist for Advertising Age. You can follow him on Twitter @simondumenco. The latest Ad Age Insights white paper -- "Dumenco's State of the Media Report: From Social Media to Search, Print, Broadcast and Beyond, Where Ad-Supported Media Stands Now and Where It's Going" -- is available right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts