What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Data Service Explained before Friday's 3G iPad Launch

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I go back and forth when it comes to deciding which 3G data plan to use. I'm usually within WiFi range and if I make it past 15 days then I'm ahead of the game (good point Greg G). I have a few family members that use Verizon's 3G; I think I'll bug them about their data usage.

Last edited:

Droid Washington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 2 cents: if you can afford it, spoil yourself on the first month and spring for the unlimited unless you're going to be using it at a Wifi enabled home 100% of the time and not taking it anywhere.

Then after the first month of hardcore using it (you know you will, it's new!) check your usage and see if it was below or close to 250MB.

tigerbait1953

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got my shipment notification. Arrives by April 30th

Shipped
Shipped on: Apr 29, 2010 via FEDERAL EXPRESS
Tracking #: 453123821XXX (Pre-sign for this shipment)
Product / Part No.
Unit Price

Qty

Ext. Price
IPAD WI-FI + 3G 64GB-USA
MC497LL/A

$829.00

$829.00

Last edited:
OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score

nzahr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going straight for the unlimited.....only makes sense and then there are no worries....

dks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got 3G to use when I travel & I plan to use my home wifi the rest of the time to save on costs... (though I will use unlimited for at least 1st month to start off)

So, besides costing more... is there an advantage to using 3G over using your home’s wifi?... is 3G faster or more reliable... or is it about the same?

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We don't have a home network. I'm going for the unlimited plan.

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T Micro Simm Card

If you’ve never seen a micro-SIM before, you’ll probably be pretty shocked to learn that it’s simply just a smaller SIM card… just like the name implies. What’s interesting, however, is that the SIM isn’t actually different as the chip is exactly the same, the only difference is that the plastic surrounding it is minimized. In any case, just in time for the Apple iPad 3G launch and upcoming next generation iPhone launch, AT&T stores have started receiving new SIM cards which have cutouts for both the regular SIM standard, and the new micro-SIM all in one.

A pretty cleaver move, don’t you say?​

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The above information raises the question, can you take a T-Mobile sim and make a micro sim out of it for the iPad on T-Mobile?

Just use a Xacto knife.

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to get unlimited. I figure I'm going to test the cr@p out of my iPad and I don't want any surprises. If I find that I don't need unlimited then I can always switch to the $15 plan next month.

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greg:

I have a router at home. If I get the $15.00 plan just for when I am out, would that work?

It depends how much data you pull down when you are out. The iPad will have a place you can go and check usage so you will be able to see exactly what you are using. I assume that it shows for unlimited as well so I can see the appeal of going unlimited the first month and then deciding what to next based on usage.

-Greg

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2ipadatt.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts