What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Data Service Explained before Friday's 3G iPad Launch

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope one of the cell phone companies here offers a 3G unlimited data plan for around 3000yen (~$30). If they do, I'll consider replacing my standard iPad with a 3G.

JMK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My plan is to get the unlimited for a couple of months and use the Ipad normally. At that point I will see if I can get away with the $15 plan.

I'll probably have a lot of data usage the first month while setting up and testing apps. Probably drop off in month 2.

I'll see about moving to limited after that but I don't think I can get by on the 250 Mb per month.

I work in a datacenter with 18" concrete walls. (like a bunker) No Wifi getting in or out but 3G is good.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even on the months I was out of town and using my data on my iphone all the time I just barely hit the 250 MB mark, so I seriously doubt I'll go over on ipad. Especially since I'll just use my wifi network when at home.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Orcapal said:
What about International Roaming?
Personally I think it would be expensive if you used it say over a month or more. 2 days may be ok we have 3g in aus and as the ipad is unlocked you could by a pre paid plan which should work out cheaper. This also applys to other countries as well. Best thing to do is check what the charges are and what your options are
Col downunder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll get the unlimited plan at first and see my data usage after that. I know my first month is going to be big!

socalpimp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont understand why people just wont pay the 30 bucks a month....250mb is barely a evening of streaming videos.

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll get the unlimited plan at first and see my data usage after that. I know my first month is going to be big!

May is going to be a severe WX month here in the SE USA. I will go with the UNLIMITED 3G just to incorporate this as a tool in public safety work.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont understand why people just wont pay the 30 bucks a month....250mb is barely a evening of streaming videos.
Some just save the $15, as they have a wifi connection available most of the time. The 3G can be used as a backup(the $15 plan), so no need to shell out a extra $15 (for unlimited) if you do not need to. I would just use the 250MB for checking email, surfing, chatting, etc... Any data that comes in large chunks (streaming, downloading apps), I would save for wifi.

But I am keeping my wifi model, and just tethering with my iPhone. I see no need to pay for two data plans.

Last edited:

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My plan is to get the 250mb plan and see how long it lasts me. You have to use more than 500mb of data a month to make the unlimited worth while since that is the break even point. Another way of looking at it is that as long as the 250mb lasts more than 15 days it is the better choice.

I have access to WiFi at home and at work which are the two places I will be using my iPad the most. I suspect my 3G usage will be pretty reasonable and mostly for browsing the web, reading RSS feeds, reading this forum, and keeping up with email and such. I believe that I can wait until I get home or to a hot spot to stream video and download apps and data intensive tasks. I am pretty sure that 250mb a month will work for me.

With the ease of turning on and off my subscription I am thinking that I may cancel my subscription each time I purchase so it does not automatically renew. I assume the data that I have paid for will still function until the time period runs out. This way if there is a gap between the day it runs out and the next time I need it I will not be paying for it. I'm not sure if this will end up making sense or not. It may be too annoying to bother with...

It will be very interesting to see what our usage patterns are and how we take advantage of the contract free billing.

-Greg

Last edited:
OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My plan is to get the 250mb plan and see how long it lasts me. You have to use more than 500mb of data a month to make the unlimited worth while since that is the break even point. Another way of looking at it is that as long as the 250mb lasts more than 15 days it is the better choice.

I have access to WiFi at home and at work which are the two places I will be using my iPad the most. I suspect my 3G usage will be pretty reasonable and mostly for browsing the web, reading RSS feeds, reading this forum, and keeping up with email and such. I believe that I can wait until I get home or to a hot spot to stream video and download apps and data intensive tasks. I am pretty sure that 250mb a month will work for me.

With the ease of turning on and off my subscription I am thinking that I may cancel my subscription each time I purchase so it does not automatically renew. I assume the data that I have paid for will still function until the time period runs out. This way if there is a gap between the day it runs out and the next time I need it I will not be paying for it. I'm not sure if this will end up making sense or not. It may be too annoying to bother with...

It will be very interesting to see what our usage patterns are and how we take advantage of the contract free billing.

-Greg

Very interesting strategy that makes a lot of sense. i wonder if it will work for others too.

One reason for turning on 3G right away is to make sure that part of the iPad works correctly.
I also love the freedom of not being tied to hotspots so 3G is a big plus in my book.

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very interesting strategy that makes a lot of sense. i wonder if it will work for others too.

One reason for turning on 3G right away is to make sure that part of the iPad works correctly.
I also love the freedom of not being tied to hotspots so 3G is a big plus in my book.

Don't get me wrong. I will turn on the 250mb plan the moment I get my hands on my 3G and try it out and will use it "normally" when outside of WiFi range. I didn't wait this long for 3G not to use it. I just think that my usage will not be extreme.

Does anyone know how it will work when you have 3G and WiFi on at the same time? Will the iPad use WiFi automatically when it can but then switch to 3G or do I have to turn 3G on when I want to use it?

-Greg

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using the the Sprint 3G/4G overdrive for close to 4 weeks. Last week i reached the 5Gig limit. At 5 cents a min beyond the 5Gig limit I stopped using the overdrive until another month refresh,, four more days to go... My point to you future 3G users,, DONT opt for the 250 mb option.. you will reach the max faster then you can say WTF.... You may think,, "im just going to use if for email only" but once you down load a couple picture someone sent you BINGO,, You maxed... Please take my word,, don't mess with 250MB option, go for the unlimited.. AT&T's unlimited offer is a screamer deal and i dont think it will last forever... Just my 2 cents here.... one more day... have fun... :p

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Don't get me wrong. I will turn on the 250mb plan the moment I get my hands on my 3G and try it out and will use it "normally" when outside of WiFi range. I didn't wait this long for 3G not to use it. I just think that my usage will not be extreme.

Does anyone know how it will work when you have 3G and WiFi on at the same time? Will the iPad use WiFi automatically when it can but then switch to 3G or do I have to turn 3G on when I want to use it?

-Greg

I have the WiFi and I'm using a Sprint Overdrive, So far i have noticed WiFi will log first if available. I'm not sure how the iPad 3G will work, but i would think the priority would be WiFi then 3G if not and this would auto sense... One more day and we will find the mystery answer..

Most reactions

Latest posts