What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 vs iPad 4?

caverman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm just getting serious about researching iPad and just joined the Forum. I thought the iPad 3 was the latest and gratest. I knew about the iPad mini but didn't know they actually changed the iPad. When I look at the Apple store it just shows iPad with Retina Display. Is that any different than the iPad 3? I thought the 3 had Retina Display?

I've been looking at the refurbished iPads at Apple and they have an iPad 3 for $379. I'm assuming then that's basically going to be an outdated version? I thought that was going to be the latest/gratest but just refurbished.

What are the main differnces in iPad 3 vs iPad 4?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been looking at the refurbished iPads at Apple and they have an iPad 3 for $379. I'm assuming then that's basically going to be an outdated version? I thought that was going to be the latest/gratest but just refurbished.

They haven't started delivering the iPad 4 to buyers, so there's zero chance you'll find a refurbed iPad 4 at Apple.com now. You probably won't see them for months.

OP
C

caverman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm....ok so basically a better front camera and faster CPU and the new style connector.

Anyone think the price of new iPad 2 and iPad 3 will drop any? You would think that would.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm....ok so basically a better front camera and faster CPU and the new style connector.

Anyone think the price of new iPad 2 and iPad 3 will drop any? You would think that would.

FYI...
The article above doesn't mention the increased WiFI capabilities or the increased charging capabilities (12W) on the new iPad 4.

Apple is discounting the iPad 3 by $50 (some places like Best Buy are still charging the regular price).
IMHO if purchasing a new iPad the $50 discount would not be enough to make me opt out of the recent iPad 4 offering.

Last edited:
OP
C

caverman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are the increased WiFi capabilities?

cyndy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the pricing from the Apple Store website.
iPad 3
$379 for 16
$469 for 32
those are listed as refurbished but some have mentioned their refurbished iPad 3 were being shipped from China (from their order) That's a pretty good discount. And still the great Apple backing.

iPad 3 were available @ Apple Stores on Nov. 8th. Or can be shipped out now. You are going to have to wait for the 4, some have preordered and may get them on November 2nd, or you could wait in line at the Apple Store. Best Buy told me this morning they didn't know when they would get the iPad 4 (but will get the Mini Friday(

iPad 4

$499 for 16
$599 for 32

So we are looking at $130 discount on the 16 iPad, and $120 discount on the 32, not bad at all. And, really not a whole lot more then the iPad 2 they are selling on the Apple Store.

Now that discount really looked good to me, but with the more I hear about how good that 4 is going to be, I think I am going for it after returning my 3 ( which I loved) under the return time frame. Still the 3 is a good price, and you can double your memory or make your $$$ go more on it.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What are the increased WiFi capabilities?
From Apple...

Advanced Wi-Fi technology. Built in.

The new Wi-Fi capabilities built into iPad keep you connected faster than ever — up to twice as fast as any previous-generation iPad. With dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 802.11n Wi-Fi and support for channel bonding, download speeds can reach up to 150 Mbps.[SUP]5[/SUP] Translation: Many of the things you do every day may start to feel a whole lot faster.

kulit_12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From Apple...

Advanced Wi-Fi technology. Built in.

The new Wi-Fi capabilities built into iPad keep you connected faster than ever — up to twice as fast as any previous-generation iPad. With dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 802.11n Wi-Fi and support for channel bonding, download speeds can reach up to 150 Mbps.[SUP]5[/SUP] Translation: Many of the things you do every day may start to feel a whole lot faster.

Wifi connections still depend in the speed of you internet connection! No matter how fast your wifi built in or whatever it is your talking about! As far as i know, it all depend in your INTERNET CONNECTION!

OP
C

caverman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Correct....I have a fast FIOS connect at 75 mbps so that's going to be the max I'll get for now.

I'm putting off my purchase for another week or two in hopes that once the iPad 4 actually hits the floors it will drop the iPad 3 (even the refurbished ones) down just a little.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried reading up on iPad 4's wifi speeds before I decided to order. From my layman's understanding, it's not just the speed of your Internet connection that determines the speeds you get on various hardware, including iPad. Basically, hardware limitations also can limit the speeds you achieve, which is why you can use an iPad and still get slower speeds than using a typical late-model laptop or PC on the same Internet connection.

iPad 4 offers something called channel bonding, which from my layman's understanding means the hardware itself moves data more efficiently, so that you get faster speeds on iPad 4 vs. all previous iPads, even on the same Internet connection.

If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear someone knowledgeable explain it to me better. But I doubt that Apple is selling an imaginary feature and falsely touting faster speeds, because those kind of results are easily tested and they probably aren't stupidly opening themselves up to false advertising claims.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried reading up on iPad 4's wifi speeds before I decided to order. From my layman's understanding, it's not just the speed of your Internet connection that determines the speeds you get on various hardware, including iPad. Basically, hardware limitations also can limit the speeds you achieve, which is why you can use an iPad and still get slower speeds than using a typical late-model laptop or PC on the same Internet connection.

iPad 4 offers something called channel bonding, which from my layman's understanding means the hardware itself moves data more efficiently, so that you get faster speeds on iPad 4 vs. all previous iPads, even on the same Internet connection.

If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear someone knowledgeable explain it to me better. But I doubt that Apple is selling an imaginary feature and falsely touting faster speeds, because those kind of results are easily tested and they probably aren't stupidly opening themselves up to false advertising claims.

Dang wish I can find a lady that can speak tech like that :D

OP
C

caverman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually what would we really need to find out is what download speeds the iPad 3 capable of. If for some reason it can download say 75 mbps and yet you're home/work/public connection is only serving up say 25 mbps then I don't think it will really matter if the iPad 4 can download up to 150 mpbs. The network connection is only 25 mbps big and the iPad 3 would be more than capable of that. Just because the iPad 4 can handle up to 150 mpbs you wouldn't have any advantage because only 25 is coming down.

Now, on the other hand, if the iPad 4 can make two 25 mbps connections and combine those channels together to give you 50 mbps then I can see where that would definately be an advantange. However, I don't think it can make multiple connections like that. I'm not a network expert though so I could be wrong.

With that being said, unless you are streaming video directly to your iPad or maybe when downloading an app, you'll probably never notice a differnce between say 25 mbps or 150 mbps right now. 25 mbps is really fast.

Where a true test would come in to play is if someone took an iPad 3 beside an iPad 4, browsed the web or steamed video, could you see a difference side by side. I'm betting not.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you search it seems to me I read the iPad 3 is limited to around 25 - 30 mbps..........that's all users could get regardless of their service speed.

I have a wireless router with 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz capability so I might try channel bonding with my iPad 4 just to see how well it works.
Granted my service is only capable of about 30mbps but it should still help if other devices are chewing up available bandwidth on one network or the other.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually what would we really need to find out is what download speeds the iPad 3 capable of. If for some reason it can download say 75 mbps and yet you're home/work/public connection is only serving up say 25 mbps then I don't think it will really matter if the iPad 4 can download up to 150 mpbs. The network connection is only 25 mbps big and the iPad 3 would be more than capable of that. Just because the iPad 4 can handle up to 150 mpbs you wouldn't have any advantage because only 25 is coming down.

Now, on the other hand, if the iPad 4 can make two 25 mbps connections and combine those channels together to give you 50 mbps then I can see where that would definately be an advantange. However, I don't think it can make multiple connections like that. I'm not a network expert though so I could be wrong.

With that being said, unless you are streaming video directly to your iPad or maybe when downloading an app, you'll probably never notice a differnce between say 25 mbps or 150 mbps right now. 25 mbps is really fast.

Where a true test would come in to play is if someone took an iPad 3 beside an iPad 4, browsed the web or steamed video, could you see a difference side by side. I'm betting not.

Checking the speed of your iPad should be straightforward -- run a speed test. Then use the same wifi connection and run a speed test on your PC, Mac or laptop. You'll probably see lower speeds on iPad unless your computer is ancient or lame. The same can be done with all iPad models, including 4. And if those kind of tests prove that Apple is lying about faster wifi speeds, you can bet there will be plenty of talk of a class-action lawsuit. (And I won't be involved, because I'm not sue happy, but I recognize the power of possible class-action suits, which get some lawyers in a tizzy.)

From what I've read, iPads 1, 2 and 3 perform well below a reasonably fast Internet connection's potential. Of course, if you have a lame Internet connection, that's another prob. Personally, I pay for a fast connection and would like to make better use of it on iPad if possible.

Last edited:

Most reactions