What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 Retina vs Ipad mini

tjlee119

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Ipad 3 16 gig I love. But just got a new Air. I now primarily use my ipad to surf the web and read. I am intrigued by the size of the mini and have an opportunity to trade for a 32 gig mini straight up! What do you think I should do?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tjlee119 said:
I have a Ipad 3 16 gig I love. But just got a new Air. I now primarily use my ipad to surf the web and read. I am intrigued by the size of the mini and have an opportunity to trade for a 32 gig mini straight up! What do you think I should do?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I suggest you keep the iPad 3.Because I guess apple will soon launch ipad mini 2nd gen with retina display.And the iPad 3 is quite fast ten the mini.

scudder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would trade! I take the ipad mini everywhere, and I mean everywhere and the size is perfect. The smaller screen (only by a half inch all round) is hardly a compromise and the weight and size make it much more suitable for on the go surfing. Holding the iPad now feels like a beast and with all that black edge wasted. I used to think I could drop the iPad anytime, it just did not feel balanced in one hand whereas the mini just feels right. OK, retina display would be nicer but only marginally as the mini has the same resolution of an iPad 2 in a smaller format. Looks great to me.
Decisions, always tough but hope this helps. Try it for a couple of days and see.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I prefer the mini > my ipad 3. But i dont think its worth a trade just yet. If possible, Look to see if there is a buyer for your 3, hold the money until march/April when the mini with retina display is rumored to be out, then buy that one. This way you won't be kicking yourself for giving away the gorgeous retina display for a non-retina, and it becoming outdated in a mere 2 months.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have both...and I love both (as well as my android tablets). The answer, I think, comes down to what you value the most and thus dictates your needs. The portability of the mini cannot be denied, but the retina screen is also a winner. It's almost a given that a retina mini will appear, and I for one will have to have that one too. I'm not yet sure if I would keep this one or get rid of it. And when you add the mini to a data plan, wow!

I think this is personal choice. To thine own self be true.

I will say one last thing.....game play on the mini bets out game play on the larger iPads, due to the overall experience. That weight makes the difference.

OP
tjlee119

tjlee119

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you

I appreciate all the well thought out feedback and opinions, I've decided to make the switch!

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like you've already made your decision but, having both the iPad 3 (two of them, wife and self) and the iPad mini, I would definitely not trade the 3 for the mini. If you can have both, do so, reading your books may be more comfortable on the mini. But, surfing the web, watching videos, and even typing emails is all easier on the iPad3. And, as someone said above, the mini2 is just around the corner which will have your Retina screen if we are to believe the rumors. To me, the screen on the mini is clear and sharp, just too small for some uses.

edjrwinnt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to wait for the second gen but I had to use up a Best Buy gift card, plus there was an open box mini at Best Buy for $307 minus the 10% discount they are offering on open box items this week.

I am very happy with the mini and won't be using my iPad 3 at all until a jailbreak comes out for ios6. I mostly do reading on the mini, which is what I mostly did on the iPad3 before I got the mini.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But, surfing the web, watching videos, and even typing emails is all easier on the iPad3.

It's obviously a personal decision because I don't find any of this to be true. In fact, I find all of those easier to do on the mini. The iPad 3 is, IMO, better to look at and is clearly the stronger device in terms of CPU/GPU.

amylyn1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my iPad mini. Previously had an iPad 2 but because of the size & weight I sold it. So glad I got the mini. I've used it way more than I ever used the iPad 2. Now I can carry it in my purse. Much more convenient!

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 2 and the mini... I prefer the mini because it is thinner/lighter more portable and has a slick design. Also all I ever do really is read, all the time! If anything I might watch some youtube or a movie but mostly I just read... web, email, facebook, twitter ect. Sometimes ebooks but I prefer my N7 for that. But the screen on the mini is adequate for reading in my opinion. I have tested out ebooks on it alot and even small text is better than the iPad 2 and very legible. I can't speak for the iPad 3 with Retina but would be interested in the OP's opinion and comparison in that regard as well as how they are enjoying the mini... but if I had to choose based on size and design, i would go fir the mini everytime! :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've finally got used to typing fairly accurately with an iPad 2 after almost 2 years, and I found it a challenge. At this point, I just couldn't see myself switching to typing on an even smaller device and I have small hands. While I do a lot of reading on my device, I do almost as much typing. I will get a later generation iPad, but a Mini will be in the distant future.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wouldn't have traded MY iPad 3, but it's because I've got the 64GB 4G. From a 16 gig 3 to a 32 gig Mini I believe I would have in a minute.

Most reactions

Latest posts