What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 Mail Problems with gmail

garrymiethe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a new user of both this forum and the iPad. I have a 3rd generation iPad. I have 3 mail accounts in iPad Mail - Chariot, TPG and gmail. I can receive and send on all accounts. I have Chariot set in the iPad settings as my default email account. This is the only one that I use especially for work and the others are for backup and entering competitios etc. The order of my accounts in settings, mail, contacts, calendars is from top to bottom iCloud then gmail, then TPG and finally Chariot.

My problem is that whenever I send an email using my Chariot account and the email is responded to by hitting reply, the email in response comes to me in my gmail inbox. When I look at this email I see the persons response to me and below where I see my original email where it says "reply to" it states my gmail address. I tried turning off gmail in my iPad settings (but not deleting it) and then from my iPad I sent myself an email from my Chariot default using my Chariot default email address. This arrived in my Chariot inbox as it should but when I reply to this email I see above my original email "On 15/04/2012, at 4:14 PM, Garry Miethe <my gmail email address]> wrote:". I then went to my own email information in my iPad "Contacts" and deleted the gmail email address and composed a reply again to my own email but the same thing happened.
I have tried to find the answer by ringing the Apple iPad help line but they are stumped. I tried to find the answer at the gmail forum but it wouldn't let me post there even though I registered. I couldn't find the answer on the gmail website.
I suppose that I could delete my gmail account on my iPad but even that may not solve the problem because I have already turned it off. I would like to avoid deleting the gmail account if there is another way around it. Does anybody have any idea what is going on here or any suggestions. Cheers, Stumped and Confused.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Sit tight and someone will be along who can answer your question, in the meantime:

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you are composing the email on the iPad, what does the From box say? You can tap it and see what account it says it is sending from.

mnr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
When you are composing the email on the iPad, what does the From box say? You can tap it and see what account it says it is sending from.

The from box is the name of the acct I deleted.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
?

Are you a new poster, or the OP using a new member name?

At any rate, that is the root of the problem. You can change the From manually this way, by selecting your other account, but that's bound to get tedious.

Some suggestions.

Make sure the you have the proper default account set under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calenars, the Mail section. You said you did, but it won't hurt to make sure.

Make sure you are in the All Inbox, the desired account's Inbox, or in the Account itself when composing or replying to emails.

Go ahead and delete the GMail account from the iPad and see what happens. Then add the account again and see if it comes back. You won't hurt anything by doing this.

Also, if you have not done so, try these usual fixes, especially the one about clearing the app from RAM.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

mnr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a new member and just checking all this out. I did all the suggestions you gave and still my email 'sends' out from the account I deleted. I get an email to my correct hotmail account and if I reply to that, it goes out in the wrong email, a live.com. The hotmail account is the only one currently on the ipad as an active account. I will delete it and re-add tonight when I get home and see if that works.

OP
G

garrymiethe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear Twerpoet,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I am a new poster and a new member. It's taken hours and hours but I've finally fixed it. Hooray! To cut a long story short, it was in the mail settings. I went to the gmail outgoing mail server SMPT settings and turned all "other smpt servers" to OFF and left it's primary server ON. I could then send and receive from Chariot and TPG email addresses but not gmail. I changed something in gmail trying to get that going and then Chariot wouldn't work saying I needed to enter a password. Somehow, magically it seemed, all including gmail started to work properly after I restarted my iPad. Now when I send from one account, it actually does send from that account and not from gmail unless I send it from there. It's strange how sometimes all it needs is a restart. In the beginning I tried restarting as you suggested but that didn't work. I was really reluctant to delete my mail program as I feared I would lose everything, mail and all the settings. I love the fact that complete strangers are giving of their time time to help others. Many thanks again. I am ecstatic to have it all working as I would hope.

Most reactions