What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 3 dual-core or quad core?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a suspicion, based on what I see being leaked, is that the iPad 3 may have a dual core processor that is just a bump up from the A5. But, by going to the 28 nm process, adding more RAM, and maybe even better graphics, it will be a lot more powerful than the iPad 2

thesoundsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.thesoundsmith.com
I have just seen a number of reports - and an image - of the iPad3 MB with an A5X dual-core processor. Given that they have to drive 4 times the display pixels, this seems like a disappointing turn. I was hoping for an A6 - but then, I want to eliminate my laptop and two of my desktop PCs, and I need horsepower for music somposition/performance. Battery life is important, but not as much as power, for my needs. YMMV...

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of the constant posts and debates on hardware specs which greeted the first iPad.
The main arguments were about how android would swamp iOS due to better hardware, faster chips and more ram, numerous ports etc..

Whatever chip iPad3 will have it will be more than enough for it's task. Apple has always been concerned with the user experience first, rather than hardware for hardware's sake.

That said I've had a quadcore pc for years and there's very little software I use that needs more than two. For my graphics stuff ram has had the biggest impact. Usually monitoring will show one core at near to 100% and next at 50 and the other two idle.....ofc ymmv as I'm not into 3d modelling, music creation or such like.

Still double resolution with retina screen has me firmly in the buy camp regardless of cores.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A lot of Tech sites are reporting this. iPad-3 is slated to have a A5x Processor. I have not gone through much of the other info here. But is it equivalent of a quad-core processor or what ?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When the iPad 2 was announced and they found it had a dual core processor, all the tablet makers were bragging about their quad core units, they had more RAM, etc. The iPad 2 smoked them in actual performance. I think the only way that performance on the iPad will ever be beyond issue is when they bring out the Cortex A7 paired with the A15. It may appear on the iPad 4, but only time will tell. Look at the difference time makes. Compare the specs on the iBook and the MB Air. Same price, but that is all.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Buzz going on right now is perhaps the iPad-3 will have a A6 Quad Core Processor and the next iPhone-5 and iPod Touch may will have a A5x Processor.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The word I am hearing is that Apple was testing the A5X which is a upgraded A5, and the A6 right up to the final decision to begin production. Until the first models reach the public and iFixit does a tear down, we may not have any idea. No matter which chip they use, it will have positive and negative qualities. I would say the testing was mostly to determine the best balance of speed and battery life.

sun0000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My guess is that the A5X is for the ATV3 and
The A6 for the IPad3 and a lower clocked version for the iPhone5.

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the reason why we will probably see dual-core on iPad 3. Battery life is one of priorities that Apple wants to keep for iPad. 50% more powerful dual core processor & 1 Gb or RAM sounds good to me.

My expectations became reality LOL

Most reactions

Latest posts