What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 Cases ???

Noodles118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GRiffin SURVIVOR case for IPad

:ipad-front: I bought the Survivor "Military" case for the new IPad, and even though I love the case as a whole, the only "issue" I have with the case is due to the fact that because the unit gets a bit warm to the touch after a while, combined with the fact that it's completely encapsulated within the Survivor, the IPad screen seems to develop small "pockets" of an oily residue on the screen. Not oily in the true sense of the word, but rather a type of residue whereby the unit has to be taken out of the case to be wiped down, then re- inserted. Possibly, the cause of this may be due to the fact that I have a ZAGG protective shield on the IPad screen itself, in addition to the clear protective shield of the case. Maybe it's too much protection vs the amount of heat the unit radiates from within. Not a problem whereby it blocks your viewing pleasure of games, movies, etc, just aggravating. Any other Survivor case user here notice a similar type issue with their case? Thanks, in advance, for your reply/feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

iPhoNettie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Noodles118 said:
:ipad-front: I bought the Survivor "Military" case for the new IPad, and even though I love the case as a whole, the only "issue" I have with the case is due to the fact that because the unit gets a bit warm to the touch after a while, combined with the fact that it's completely encapsulated within the Survivor, the IPad screen seems to develop small "pockets" of an oily residue on the screen. Not oily in the true sense of the word, but rather a type of residue whereby the unit has to be taken out of the case to be wiped down, then re- inserted. Possibly, the cause of this may be due to the fact that I have a ZAGG protective shield on the IPad screen itself, in addition to the clear protective shield of the case. Maybe it's too much protection vs the amount of heat the unit radiates from within. Not a problem whereby it blocks your viewing pleasure of games, movies, etc, just aggravating. Any other Survivor case user here notice a similar type issue with their case? Thanks, in advance, for your reply/feedback.

I had Clear Coat on my screen and had the "oil slick" going on with the Otterbox Defender case. It's a common issue with those zagg shields and clear coats.

Noodles118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks For the info, Nettie. At least now I know it's a known issue and not just me! After watching a video link posted by another member about a similar product ( http://www.fommy.com/view-full-page.php?skuno=93510), I noticed that the shield attached to the Survivor front cover looks as if it would pop right out. Maybe...just maybe, the "oil slick" issue could be resolved a bit with the omission of this shield which would also then take full advantage of the new retina display. I will just have to take a closer look to see if the device would still fit snug enough - as in the fommy video - so that the iPad doesn't slide within the case.

Last edited:

huayangnianhua

iPF Noob
Reaction score
may be many a people have the same question, i think it's depends on ur personal preference, which kind of style cases do you want for you iPad 3, Smart Covers? Sleeve Case? Pouch Cases? Bags? or iPad 3 keyboard cases, leather cases? first you should make it clear, and then to choose the iPad 3 case fit you most...

iPhoNettie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Noodles118 said:
Thanks For the info, Nettie. At least now I know it's a known issue and not just me! After watching a video link posted by another member about a similar product ( http://www.fommy.com/view-full-page.php?skuno=93510), I noticed that the shield attached to the Survivor front cover looks as if it would pop right out. Maybe...just maybe, the "oil slick" issue could be resolved a bit with the omission of this shield which would also then take full advantage of the new retina display. I will just have to take a closer look to see if the device would still fit snug enough - as in the fommy video - so that the iPad doesn't slide within the case.

I took the clear coat off of my iPad and no longer have the oil slick stuff going on. I figured with the built in screen protector in the case, I don't need it anyway.

dwiltzee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got a MoKo Slim-fit portfolio stand from Amazon. Twenty bucks. It's some kind of faux leather; you'd never mistake it for real leather but it has a nice texture. Reviewed very highly by Amazon users. It's well padded and as the name implies, slim. Has three stand settings in landscape, for a portrait stand you have to remove the iPad and sort of prop it up. It also folds all the way back and has an elastic hand strap for one-handed reading. Since its the only one I've used I can't compare it, but I'm very satisfied -- and the price was definitely right.

dwiltzee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, the MoKo does have the auto sleep-wake switch. I don't know how it works but it does.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been looking at the Deft swivel case. There is a You Tube video review that gives it good marks, but I also want one that is nicely padded. Can anyone with the Deft comment on this? Thanks.

Noodles118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPhoNettie said:
I took the clear coat off of my iPad and no longer have the oil slick stuff going on. I figured with the built in screen protector in the case, I don't need it anyway.

Late last night, after my previous post (and the appearance of yet another -ugh - oil slick), I attempted to remove the clear cover from the Survivor case. Since I still have the ZAGG HD clear shield on the unit itself, I decided to roll the dice and give it a shot!

Although there were moments of uncertainty ( a few oops moments as well as whoops) during the procedure, in the end, it all worked out fantastic. With the omission of the plastic shield on the survivor case, the colors on the retina display really come ALIVE, while eliminating the oil slick issue completely! If by accident, the unit is placed face down on a table, or any other surface for that matter, the silicone case is thick enough whereby it doesn't allow the actual screen of the ipad to come in contact with the surface itself. Glad to see this fairy tale ended with all "parties" involved living happily ever after! LOL

iPhoNettie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Noodles118 said:
Late last night, after my previous post (and the appearance of yet another -ugh - oil slick), I attempted to remove the clear cover from the Survivor case. Since I still have the ZAGG HD clear shield on the unit itself, I decided to roll the dice and give it a shot!

Although there were moments of uncertainty ( a few oops moments as well as whoops) during the procedure, in the end, it all worked out fantastic. With the omission of the plastic shield on the survivor case, the colors on the retina display really come ALIVE, while eliminating the oil slick issue completely! If by accident, the unit is placed face down on a table, or any other surface for that matter, the silicone case is thick enough whereby it doesn't allow the actual screen of the ipad to come in contact with the surface itself. Glad to see this fairy tale ended with all "parties" involved living happily ever after! LOL

Awesome! The oil slick look was no bueno. Lol

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Targus+...Blue/2319133.p?id=1218320822777&skuId=2319133

I bought it only because I needed a day one case after upgrading to iPad from ipad1. Purchased at best buy and sold under Targus brand name which is embossed on the case. I've seen the same case throughout this thread unbranded and it appears, and I presume it to be, identical with the exception of the stylus holder on the Targus case.

In any event I've come to like the case because it is somewhat rugged while maintaining a nice appearance. In landscape stand mode it works well. Portrait is useless if you are tapping away at the screen as it is too top heavy. If using portrait to view only it is okay. Personally I stopped using the stand for portrait mode but honestly never had much use to do so anyway.

It cleans easy enough, is durable, and the felt like material cleans up well unlike my old Phillips padded easel case which was functionally great but the material was garbage that attracted and retained dirt, hair, and any other type of airborne particles.

My major needs are protection from drops....knock on wood haven't done so to date with either my old or new iPad, and landscape stand mode for viewing. This Targus stand seems to fit my needs nicely.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Targus+-+Rotating+Case+for+Apple&%23174%3B+iPad&%23174%3B+2+-+Black/Blue/2319133.p?id=1218320822777&skuId=2319133

I bought it only because I needed a day one case after upgrading to iPad from ipad1. Purchased at best buy and sold under Targus brand name which is embossed on the case. I've seen the same case throughout this thread unbranded and it appears, and I presume it to be, identical with the exception of the stylus holder on the Targus case.

In any event I've come to like the case because it is somewhat rugged while maintaining a nice appearance. In landscape stand mode it works well. Portrait is useless if you are tapping away at the screen as it is too top heavy. If using portrait to view only it is okay. Personally I stopped using the stand for portrait mode but honestly never had much use to do so anyway.

It cleans easy enough, is durable, and the felt like material cleans up well unlike my old Phillips padded easel case which was functionally great but the material was garbage that attracted and retained dirt, hair, and any other type of airborne particles.

My major needs are protection from drops....knock on wood haven't done so to date with either my old or new iPad, and landscape stand mode for viewing. This Targus stand seems to fit my needs nicely.

Thanks for the nicely organized report. According to the YouTube video, the Delft and Targus are much the same, but the reviewer seemed to feel that the Delft had nicer fabric and said the Targus had a strong chemical odor. I sorta' got the feeling that portrait orientation might not be very stable.

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the Targus VersaVue and the sleep magnet is placed so I have to twist the cover to make it put the Ipad to sleep. It works....but is useless. I took it back to Best Buy and they had 2 there that did the same thing. I emailed customer service at Targus and asked about this.......they didnt even have the decency to answer me. Last Targus product I will ever buy!!!

Anybody recommend another 360 case or one that does a good job of vertical and horizontal orientation?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hivoltage said:
I bought the Targus VersaVue and the sleep magnet is placed so I have to twist the cover to make it put the Ipad to sleep. It works....but is useless. I took it back to Best Buy and they had 2 there that did the same thing. I emailed customer service at Targus and asked about this.......they didnt even have the decency to answer me. Last Targus product I will ever buy!!!

Anybody recommend another 360 case or one that does a good job of vertical and horizontal orientation?

It's inexpensive, not a fashion statement but functionally the best rotating stand I've found.

http://www.target.com/p/Philips-Padded-Easel-Case-for-iPad-Black-DLN1720-17/-/A-13106859

I've seen it as low as fifteen bucks at some sites. It has a Velcro strip and the pouch that holds the iPad itself is detachable and rotatable. My only complaint was the felt material seemed cheap to me but again...functionally it served...and still serves, as what is now my son's iPad1 case.

This new fangled iPad thingie sure is cool.

Most reactions

Latest posts