What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 24 bit audio capabilities

mr_fork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,
I recently purchased my first iPad. Got the new iPad or whatever it's now called and I'm loving it. Part of the reason I bought it was it's upcoming music creation capabilities. So here's my question. On most audio interfaces they specify a bit depth and sample rate it's capable of and for all my desktop interfaces I have no issues finding the information. I have been tempted to buy a DAW for my ipad and was looking at the Alesis IODock and the Behringer iStudio (which isn't out quite yet). Both seem to be solid but I have looked everywhere for an answer to what they're recording bit depth and sample rates are. I've even contacted Alesis but they aren't responding to the question. Since I'm working in 24 bit in ableton live 8 on my desktop there's no reason for me to get these items if they can't handle the 24 bit 48 sample. Who knows maybe I'm asking a stupid question but I just can't find the answer. Is the iPad itself a device that is capable of the 24/48 recording and playback quality. That's the only reason I can think of that these stats wouldn't be displayed somewhere. Along with this I'll be picking up Auria app which is a software capable of 24bit/96 sample (as soon as that comes out). I've seen a lot of questions answered on this forum so I thought I'd ask if anyone knows anything on this.

Thanks

anthonyalves

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is 24 bit/48khz capable

The new iPad should record as high as 96khz if the supported hardware will allow. Focusrite UCX claims these specks and is iPad compatible. For sure you can obtain the 24bit 48khz right off but the problem begins when you want to remove the audio from the iPad as the mixdown could become a 16bit 44/48khz format. Most of my masters from the ipad end up as 16bit 48khz but that should change with apps like Auria who will likely allow you to cjoose your bit export or import which all the other apps dont. Soon all audio apps will have some kind of control over the sample rate much like in your ProTools or Logic and Cubase. Good luck.

OP
M

mr_fork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer anthony. Actually that information was extremely helpful but I may have asked the question incorrectly. The quality of the recording as you say is restricted by the hardware that's doing the recording. As far as I am aware the audio interface you purchase bypasses the internal sound card to give you a different recording quality and sound playback (whether for better or worse). I have not found any hardware by Focusrite called the UCX but there is a company called RME that has a UCX. It's a nice piece of hardware. The RME interface bypasses the internal sound card and gives you 24 bit recording and playback capability because of it's own hardware. This is where the alesis is different. After spending an hour on hold I finally talked to an alesis rep and the reason those specs aren't listed is because it works off the internal converters and sound card built into the ipad. So you're only going to get whatever quality the ipad's system allows (at this point 16 bit/ 48 according to the alesis rep). I do plan on getting auria when it comes because, as you say, most of the software on the ipad restricts to 16 bit probably due to ipad hardware limitations. Auria I believe will change a lot in the mobile recording world. I'm looking forward to it. For now though if I'm looking for a 24 bit recording interface it sounds like I need to stay clear of the alesis iOdock and the behringer iStudio as they just rely on internal hardware which at the moment won't do the trick.

Cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts