What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 wont connect to my pc - help

Wanitto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad 2 won't connect to my laptop properly. It used to work fine, I haven't done it in a while (5 months). It charges with usb charger.
When i plug it in, Windows 7 plays the little tune indicating something is connected (tada!), but nothing show up in "My Computer" or itunes. On device manager it shows that Unknown USB Device is plugged in to the usb port and there is some exchange of power. Nothing changes on the ipad (does not display "not charging" at the top right)
When I plug it in to another laptop, it works fine. Other things I plug into my laptop work the way they should. So it's a problem with my computer and the ipad.
On apple support, I have followed all the troubleshooting steps for problems with connecting ipad to itunes. (nothing worked) I've also updated itunes, updated my ipad, reset my ipad and restarted my computer and various other trivial things.

Thanks for your help

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wanitto said:
My ipad 2 won't connect to my laptop properly. It used to work fine, I haven't done it in a while (5 months). It charges with usb charger.
When i plug it in, Windows 7 plays the little tune indicating something is connected (tada!), but nothing show up in "My Computer" or itunes. On device manager it shows that Unknown USB Device is plugged in to the usb port and there is some exchange of power. Nothing changes on the ipad (does not display "not charging" at the top right)
When I plug it in to another laptop, it works fine. Other things I plug into my laptop work the way they should. So it's a problem with my computer and the ipad.
On apple support, I have followed all the troubleshooting steps for problems with connecting ipad to itunes. (nothing worked) I've also updated itunes, updated my ipad, reset my ipad and restarted my computer and various other trivial things.

Thanks for your help

Have you upgraded iTunes on your computer to the latest version?

bamashooter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does it show up in iTunes? Have you tried a different usb port?

Might give this a shot:

open "run" from the start menu, and run "services.msc".
find "Apple Mobile Device" service.
In the "status" column it will tell you if it is started or not, and the "startup type" column will tell you if it will start automatically when windows starts. Set the status to "started" and the startup type to "automatic".
To do this right click on this process, and then click on "Properties"
In the "general" tab find the "startup type" drop-down arrow menu and make sure "automatic" is selected. Select it if it is not.
Also in the general tab check the "service status". If it does not say "started" then click the start button.
at the bottom of the properties window click "apply"

OP
W

Wanitto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does it show up in iTunes? Have you tried a different usb port?

It does not show up in iTunes (nor "my computer", except for the "tada" connection sound when plugged in) and I have tried different USB ports.

Might give this a shot:

open "run" from the start menu, and run "services.msc".
find "Apple Mobile Device" service.
In the "status" column it will tell you if it is started or not, and the "startup type" column will tell you if it will start automatically when windows starts. Set the status to "started" and the startup type to "automatic".
To do this right click on this process, and then click on "Properties"
In the "general" tab find the "startup type" drop-down arrow menu and make sure "automatic" is selected. Select it if it is not.
Also in the general tab check the "service status". If it does not say "started" then click the start button.
at the bottom of the properties window click "apply"

Thanks, I have looked at this. Apple Mobile Device service is started and automatic. I stopped and restarted it, just to be sure. No luck. Other suggestions?

OP
W

Wanitto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you upgraded iTunes on your computer to the latest version?

Yes I have. I will try uninstalling itunes and all apple software, then reinstalling them (but I think that is essentially the same as installing, or upgrading to, the latest version through the prompts in itunes).

UPDATE: I have uninstalled and reinstalled itunes following this procedure (with a restart in between): http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923 and then restarted my computer. The iPad still does not connect to the PC.

Last edited:
OP
W

Wanitto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I FIXED IT!!!!!
Sorry for bothering you guys.

I plugged in the ipad; went on to Device Manager; located which USB port i plugged the iPad into (It showed that "Unknown USB Device" was plugged in); uninstalled the USB port; right-clicked on my computer name at the top; scanned for hardware changes; and BAM!!! my iPad was recognised by the computer.

It's strange that I had to do this because when I tried plugging in an iPhone and another iPad (1st gen), it worked fine. It also worked with a sony ericsson phone (the software for which I had to delete because apparently it might have caused some interference with iPad). Also, I had previously uninstalled and re-installed the USB Ports, but only when the iPad was disconnected.

I will probably never understand computers.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Glad that worked! Never be sorry for posting problems because this is how we all learn how to fix our own problems! I learn more from this forum than from anywhere else! :)

Most reactions