What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 VS iPad 3

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tomthbomb said:
OK, let's quantify the discusstion please. Which was the largest leap forward?:

a. iPad1 to iPad2

b. iPad2 to iPad3

For me it's easy. I did not buy into the 1 or 2, Because they just were not enough,
but got the 3 on day one. And I am completely happy with my choice.

elau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the 3 because my wife has been wanting an iPad. I struck a deal with her taking my 2 and I buy a 3 with 64G. The 2 only has 16G and I justified it because I use my iPad for work.

As far as the screen is concerned, I really cannot notice the difference. Nor is the speed. I probably won't upgrade for a while even the rumor of 4 coming out by year's end.

I have not noticed the long charging time. In fact, my 3 charges up just as fast as the 2.

elau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No wait!! I take it back. When put side by side, the display of 3 is much superior. And I mean MUCH. Funny I never compared the two till just now.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the 2-3 upgrade was a small bit larger. The 1-2 was about the same improvement in processor gain, but the cameras were not much to write home about. The most significant change was the reduction in weight and thickness. 4G and the retina display are huge leaps by comparison. A lot of it boils down to what is desired by the individual.

Mikekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sold my ipad 2 for 500$ so I put a bit more and got the 3. For me it is justifiable, but it all depends on you.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Largest leap forward is from the 2 to the 3, IMO. 4X resolution screen, 10-20x speed increase on 4G, double the ram, and usable camera for stills and video.

IMO, there is simply no question.

SquiderDragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
c. iPad1 to iPad3. :p

My sentiments exactly as this was my move. There is definately something to be had for having patience to wait for a 2 gen upgrade. I can understand possibly the reason to question and ponder the iPad 2 to new iPad upgrade - yes the screen is excellent - and maybe the upgraded camera on top is a must. I would not forget there is double the on board ram as well - IGb from the 512K for iPad 2. As anyone with a PC or Mac knows extra memory can be one of the best upgrades you can go for. For example I have always maxed out my memory for Powerbook G4 (@ 2Gb), Macbook (@4Gb) and Macbook Pro (@ 8Gb). The battery life for me seems pretty much identical to original iPad and although yes does take longer to charge - an overnight charge makes this a non issue for me personally. But the point is that the upgrade from iPad 1 to new iPad is massive - there is no thinking to be done. Its less compelling for iPad 2 - in particular for those who like the ultra slim design - not a big difference moving to iPad 3 but it is not a massive difference.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, let's quantify the discusstion please. Which was the largest leap forward?:

a. iPad1 to iPad2

b. iPad2 to iPad3

a. iPad1 to iPad2

Faster processor, more memory, it allowed the iPad 2 to perform its functions well. The iPad 1 web browsing famous "checkered" phenomena made browsing unpleasant.
The added webcam allowed it to Skype. Screen shutoff with magnet-equipped covers gave the battery a relief.

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iam still on the fence about either buying the ipad2 or 3. the 3 is way to much money for me. but the thing that is keeping me from not buying a ipad 2 is some people telling me that apple wont support it with firmware updates. i dont know how true it is
but i do like the ipad2 for what i need it for.those prices for the ipad 2 on amazon was way over priced i can get an ipad2 32 gig for 499 from bestbuy​

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iam still on the fence about either buying the ipad2 or 3. the 3 is way to much money for me. but the thing that is keeping me from not buying a ipad 2 is some people telling me that apple wont support it with firmware updates. i dont know how true it is
but i do like the ipad2 for what i need it for.those prices for the ipad 2 on amazon was way over priced i can get an ipad2 32 gig for 499 from bestbuy​

That's total nonsense. The ipad 2 is still an active product for Apple.

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
That's total nonsense. The ipad 2 is still an active product for Apple.

Very true. Many companies (and some governments) are integrating iPads as a productivity tool for their managers, staff, sales force, etc. It is quickly catching on as a cost effective enterprise device. What's interesting is that it's the iPad 2 that's being purchased in mass quantity because of the reduced price. My company just recently rolled out an iPad program to its sales force. About 500 of us have gotten the iPad 2 in the last month or so. For Apple to cease supporting the 2 would not be a sound business decision.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tazz3 said:
but i do like the ipad2 for what i need it for.those prices for the ipad 2 on amazon was way over priced i can get an ipad2 32 gig for 499 from bestbuy

Apple is the only company that still supports 3 year old mobile technology in their past products. I would say the iPad 2 still has a good 2 years of support left. Can't guarantee it but take a look at the history of apple and other companies.

af847

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just went and bought the Ipad 3 yesterday, after having an Ipad 2 for almost 4 weeks. The Ipad 2 was my first Apple device. My Ipad 2 did most of what I needed, but was really disappointed in the camera. I use a business card reader app and I couldn't use the Ipad 2 for it. That was the biggest reason I upgraded to the Ipad 3. The screen is nicer IMO, plus the Ipad 3 seems a little bit faster to me. The camera is great on it, now the business card reader app works and captures the cards great. I only had a few days left to return to best buy, so took the plunge and very happy I did. The only big disappointment to me with the Ipad 3, is the voice dictation on it. I used the Dragon dictation app on my Ipad 2 and it was much more accurate with the words. I still have to play with the Voice dictation more though. Otherwise, I'm glad I bought the Ipad 3.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... The only big disappointment to me with the Ipad 3, is the voice dictation on it. I used the Dragon dictation app on my Ipad 2 and it was much more accurate with the words. I still have to play with the Voice dictation more though. Otherwise, I'm glad I bought the Ipad 3.

If Dragon dictate works for you on iPad2 I don't think you need to stop using it on iPad3.
However, I have found the dictation of feature of the iPad 3 surprisingly accurate even more so than Dragon. Of course if you are using it in a noisy area that could be a problem. If you speak with an accent you may want to try to experiment and try to change the accent slightly when dictating to test the results. Though I have heard it works with a lot of different accents so I am curious in what the problem is.

Most reactions

Latest posts