What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 stuck in recovery

MRDOS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a second hand iPad 2 that will not restore.
It is stuck in recovery.
I have tried using redsn0w and TinyUmbrella to get it out of recovery mode but as soon as it reboots it goes right back into recovery mode.
If I try to restore with itunes I get error 9
I have tried 3 different computers and 2 different cables.
If I try to manually make it go into DFU the closest I have gotten is instead of a recovery mode screen I get a low battery screen with the lightning bolt and plug and the red minimal battery. At that point, if I connect it to a wall charger after a few minutes of charging it goes right back into the recovery mode screen.
Any ideas?

OP
M

MRDOS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried the instuctions you sent me to several times.
I think the problem is that I can't get it into DFU mode.
The tutorial you sent me to requires that I enter DFU mode but I cant get it to go into DFU.
I even tried using redsn0w to make a ENTER_DFU ipsw but it is not working either.
How can I force it into DFU mode?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, getting an iPad into DFU mode can be a bit tricky. All I can suggest is to try and try again (maybe use a timer?).

Marilyn

OP
M

MRDOS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I had a lttle success. I finally got DFU mode but I had to mash really hard on the home button.
I tried to restore and it still came back with error 9

OP
M

MRDOS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It happens at Verifying iPad restore with Apple stage.
Error 9 pops up and the ipad reboots into recovery mode

I tried editing my hosts file like this #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com and got error 9
I tried deleting all entries for apple in the hosts file and that gave me error 3194

I swapped out the charging port on the ipad but i'm still getting error 9

If I disconnect the battery for a while would that take it out of the recovery loop?

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know about disconnecting the battery (iPads are not designed to open them up to get at the battery). Have you looked through Apple's suggestions for fixing "error 9" issues? The link is here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694#error9. A couple of things to focus on are de-activating third party security software or trying different USB cables.

Sorry, but I've about run out of ideas. Usually, the link I provided helps. Maybe it's time to take the iPad in to the Geniuses at the Apple Store?

Marilyn

OP
M

MRDOS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I disconnected the battery for about an hour and I'm still getting error 9

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to check: have you fully disabled any anti-virus software (and turned off your firewall)? And, you are trying to install iOS 6.1.3, correct?

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts