What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 RAM

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Let's put it this way. PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 have about 512MB. Look what those machines are capable of when people use the systems potential. Memory may be a problem but in iPad's case I doubt it will have any issues specially with 512MB.

This. Discussion closed xD

Kassad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
can we then assume....

Can we then assume that because of the CPU/GPU improvements from iPad 1 to iPad 2 that watching .avi or mkv hi-def videos will be improved? Right now it's a no-go with my iPhone 3gs and vlc media player. I can only watch small avi files.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Very good explanations of ram. I also believe that more ram is not necessarily as important on a tablet, than it is on a Desktop or laptop pc with spinning hard drives. The Ipad has solid state storage.

Not technically true, applications and OS can only run in RAM so RAM is required regardless of which type of storage is used. More RAM is required to run larger applications or a higher number of concurrent applications but extra RAM can also be beneficial in caching data from storage if it is likely to be required by the cpu. The type of storage doesn't have an impact on the amount of RAM required although can still have an impact on performance depending on access time and throughput of the storage used.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can we then assume that because of the CPU/GPU improvements from iPad 1 to iPad 2 that watching .avi or mkv hi-def videos will be improved? Right now it's a no-go with my iPhone 3gs and vlc media player. I can only watch small avi files.

I read one of the reviews of the iPad 2 which stated that large AVI support was improved in OPlayer over the original iPad so I would assume VLC would show improvement too.

iPad 2 Review - SlashGear

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ram will help everything go smoother. The 256mb in the ipad 1 was just not enough - especially when they added their version of multi-tasking. All those problems where apps wont start unless you reboot the iPad are memory related. I think 512mb will make a huge difference but wish it was even more. Guess they had to save something for the iPad 3 :)

Most reactions

Latest posts