What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 processor (iPad 2 owners only)

anonchi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the biggest limitations of the first iPad in my opinion was the fact that apps would have to reload completely when switching between apps. I couldn't start loading a webpage and do something else in the interim, as the website would have to reload all over again once I switch back. Also, atomic browser (which has true tabbed browsing, all open and working at the same time) couldn't handle more than 4 tabs due to limited memory. Basically my question is this. For those of you who have iPad 2s, to what extent has this been improved? If I'm loading a youtube video and want to play some flight control while its doing so, would it allow me to do that? Can I have 3-4 apps open without having each one reload every time I reopen it?

funforums5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I'm not multitasking on my iPad that much.. but I've noticed that the iPad 2 is keeping apps open a lot longer than they were on the first iPad. That's a good and a bad thing though, because if you don't close the apps manually (double tap home bottom>>hold down on app>>click small, red, -) then it'll drain the battery...

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
single vs dual processors

TUAW provides this brief explanation:
"the iPad lists the six most recently-used apps while in portrait orientation and seven while in landscape".

"Apps that "multitask" on the iOS are "suspended." GPS receivers, music players, etc. -- those that will operate in the background even as you perform another task in the foreground -- are running while suspended. Apple aims to keep as many apps running as memory will allow.

Otherwise, apps pick up where you left off the last time you used them. While waiting for you to return, those apps are suspended, living in a saved state for immediate return to the screen you were on when you switched to another app. If your iOS device runs out of memory, suspended apps that haven't been used in a while are purged from their suspended state. That decision isn't up to you, so you've got to trust Apple."

Apple provides this paragraph:
"Multitasking ... Run all your favorite apps — and switch between them instantly — without slowing down the performance of the foreground app or draining the battery unnecessarily".

Last edited:

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
youtube loads faster ,apps muli tasking runs smooth , and its a plus knowing your previous apps will still be running .I loved that with my ipad 2 but this cheap ipad 1 is good enuff for what I do.

D_LA_ROC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can truly say the iPad 2 multitasking is So much better. I can go back 5 apps and it will still be running!

Freebo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me it's like the iphone4 just keeps working. I love it

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the biggest limitations of the first iPad in my opinion was the fact that apps would have to reload completely when switching between apps. I couldn't start loading a webpage and do something else in the interim, as the website would have to reload all over again once I switch back. Also, atomic browser (which has true tabbed browsing, all open and working at the same time) couldn't handle more than 4 tabs due to limited memory. Basically my question is this. For those of you who have iPad 2s, to what extent has this been improved? If I'm loading a youtube video and want to play some flight control while its doing so, would it allow me to do that? Can I have 3-4 apps open without having each one reload every time I reopen it?

What you are describing isn't an issue of processor (well to some degree it is), but the issue of limited RAM. iOS in general suspends apps running in the background, you come back to it right where you left off. The good news with the iPad 2 is that if you multi-tab browse, Safari isn't constantly dumping pages if you switch between tabs.

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be honest, coming from the Android world, multitasking seems like a great idea, but in honesty, at least for me, was horrid. Battery drains and slowing down the processor made the OS come almost to a stand still. I like the idea of limiting the applications running. The suspended state is a much better concept.

What good is multitasking if you phone/tablet is dead. :p

Most reactions