What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 only produces music to left external speaker

TitanJeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a pair of Logitech external speakers I use with my Macbook Pro and it works very well. I tried it with my iPad and only got sound from the left speaker.

Sound is fine (and in stereo) when I plug in the ear buds.

Should I be getting stereo sound from externals? Thanks.

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a pair of Logitech external speakers I use with my Macbook Pro and it works very well. I tried it with my iPad and only got sound from the left speaker.

Sound is fine (and in stereo) when I plug in the ear buds.

Should I be getting stereo sound from externals? Thanks.

That's...weird. Is the jack the same size for both the earbuds and the speaker?

OP
T

TitanJeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Size? Yes. They look identical. The jack for the speakers has two black stripes and the ear buds three.

That's the only difference I can see.

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Size? Yes. They look identical. The jack for the speakers has two black stripes and the ear buds three.

That's the only difference I can see.

Try wiggling it around, and pulling it out about a MM or so. Sometimes that makes all the difference with finicky jacks.

OP
T

TitanJeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wiggling is the first thing I tried. Here are some other "symptoms"

The sound goes way down when the externals are plugged in. I have to turn it way up just to get anything from the left speaker.

When I unplug, the internal speakers do not come back on. I have to quit iPod and relaunch.

Thanks for the suggestions.

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wiggling is the first thing I tried. Here are some other "symptoms"

The sound goes way down when the externals are plugged in. I have to turn it way up just to get anything from the left speaker.

When I unplug, the internal speakers do not come back on. I have to quit iPod and relaunch.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, just because procrastinating sounds more fun than, well, work, I decided to test it with my logitech desktop speakers. The internal speakers came back on, I have stereo. I do share one problem with you, however: at volume x, the iPad speaker is significantly louder than my twin speakers and subwoofer, which is ridiculous. Certainly an eye raiser...

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, I see something under general settings entitled "mono sound." Is yours turned off? :)

OP
T

TitanJeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did check that and have "mono audio" off.

The ear buds are in full stereo. I know my speakers are good.

Does the iPad push out enough watts for stereo sound on all types of speakers?

OP
T

TitanJeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: After much tinkering, I did determine the problem was with the speaker jack and not the ipad.

*whew*

Most reactions

Latest posts