What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 mic not working

TechnoDaze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please forgive my very poor technical knowledge.
My early iPad 2 is on ios 7.1.2. The internal mic stopped working, (not after update or any other change.)
I've tried hard and soft restarts, checked mic and app permissions, and tried cleaning the mic extenally. Tested by recording a video and it has no sound. The main problem for me is that others can't hear me on Skype.
I connected my iRig external mic, which worked to pick up the sound, but because this cuts out the iPad speaker, I need to use earphones.
BUT, my major use for Skype calls requires me to be able to move around freely while talking and listening.
The iPad is too old to justify expensive repairs. Is there any way to solve this, or is my case hopeless? The trouble with knowing so little is that you don't know when to give up.
icon_e_smile.gif

Grateful for any advice.
Bee

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums, Bee!

There are a few more things you can try to get the microphone working again.
First, try resetting all settings. That's done in the Settings app, in General - Reset - Reset all Settings. This will revert the settings back to default. Try using the microphone afterwards.

If that doesn't help, erase your iPad completely (Settings - General - Reset - Erase All Content and Settings). This will remove every information on your iPad. Make sure you have a most recent backup, and also turn off Find my iPad before erasing your iPad.

If both of these suggestions don't help with your problem, your microphone isn't working because of a hardware issue.
Use a small vacuum cleaner and move it over the microphone port, and blow into the port, if vacuuming doesn't help.

There's nothing else you can do by yourself. A visit at the Apple Retail Store would make sure it's a software or hardware issue.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As always, Genius Bar appointments at an Apple Store are free. If the iPad needs repair, they'll tell you so and quote a price which would almost certainly be more than the iPad is currently worth.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any reputable 3rd party repair shop should be able to replace the mic. The part itself is only a few dollars, the real cost would be the labour of installing it.
Considering how well the screen is glued down, there's also the risk of breaking the screen while attempting to remove it.

OP
T

TechnoDaze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums, Bee!

There are a few more things you can try to get the microphone working again......If that doesn't help, erase your iPad completely (Settings - General - Reset - Erase All Content and Settings).........There's nothing else you can do by yourself. A visit at the Apple Retail Store would make sure it's a software or hardware issue.

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply JA. I'll try the resets you suggest, and i didn't realise i could ask in the apple store to help analyse the problem without necessarily leaving it for repair. Very helpful.
Many thanks also to both Brian244 and Scifan57 for your helpful suggestions. I feel now that i at least know enough to form a plan of action. :) Hopefully I'll suceed in getting it going. and hang round this forum now i've found it to learn a bit more about the ipad.
cheers. Bee

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for such a comprehensive reply JA. I'll try the resets you suggest, and i didn't realise i could ask in the apple store to help analyse the problem without necessarily leaving it for repair. Very helpful.
Many thanks also to both Brian244 and Scifan57 for your helpful suggestions. I feel now that i at least know enough to form a plan of action. :) Hopefully I'll suceed in getting it going. and hang round this forum now i've found it to learn a bit more about the ipad.
cheers. Bee
You're welcome. Let us know what happens.

Most reactions

Latest posts