What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 is an expensive brick - Apple refused to send password to unlock it

NCOT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not even my iPad: it belongs to my mum's friend. I'll try to keep a long story short. She's had her iPad 2 for about three years. In the last year or so, it's been getting steadily buggier - couldn't download updates, connect to the internet, and so on. Between myself, her son and her grandson, the Apple ID password must have been reset about 20 times. The problems kept on coming back.

The friend took her iPad into an Apple store only to be told she would have to make an appointment. She never did this. As the weeks passed, it seemed like she was never going to do it. Eventually I offered to do a factory reset and, slightly to my surprise, she agreed. This was a few weeks ago.

Well, the factory reset went okay. It's been everything else since that's been a disaster. Basically you cannot get past the set-up screen. At some point it asks for your Apple ID and password, and there is no getting beyond that. I knew the Apple ID but not the password. I even set up iTunes to try to reset the password, but no dice.

I phoned up my local Apple store. (I could expend a paragraph ranting about how I had to wait 90 minutes to speak to a human being, but I won't.) The guy who eventually picked up was helpful and agreed to call my mum's friend at noon the next day. I spoke to the friend and emphasised she must give Apple a valid email address. She agreed to use her husband's email address.

I thought even they couldn't mess that up. They messed it up. Somebody from Apple phoned at noon as promised, but somehow they couldn't find her husband's email details - don't ask :confused:

There was nothing more I do. The Apple guy had been insistent they could only deal with the iPad owner; they wouldn't even agree to talk to her husband (not that he's much better...)

Anyway, a couple of days ago the husband emailed my dad. Apparently he and his wife have spoken to Apple again since, but Apple have refused to send them the unlock password because, in the husband's words, "there was not enough details on the sales receipt I gave them.". He attached a printout of the sales receipt, along with Apple's response to it, which was to basically say they can't do anything without more info.

This is nuts. They're basically an elderly couple with a 3-year-old tablet. The sales receipt shows their adddress, the husband's first name (he was the one who purchased the iPad), product name and order number. It's not even clear to me what the extra info is that Apple want.

Is there anything left this couple can do to get their iPad back? Thanks.

Most reactions