What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 1 stuck in tethered (i think) boot cycle

reverendalc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just received an ipad 1 that won't turn on. it was jailbroken, and tethered i believe. i don't have any background information on the ipad at all, other than it shows a potleaf during bootup. i'm not sure if that's indicative of a tethered jb solution, or just a custom boot logo that was added by the owner. when powered on, it shows the apple logo for a bit, then does the pot leaf animation, then the little spinny circle appears, spins about once or twice, then it freezes.

the ipad won't charge; as soon as it collects it's minimal charge, it attempts to turn on, crashes out, and repeats until complete exhaustion of the battery. it begins charging, and the process repeats indefinitely. i can enter recovery mode sometimes, but the device isn't recognized via usb on anything. i've tried three cables, three win7 pcs, and a macbook.

i've extensively (in the last 24hrs since receiving the ipad) researched the matter on google and this forum alike, but can't seem to make sense of it. many folks suggest using this tool, or that tool. but i can't, because no pc will recognize the device to allow any tool to operate on it. i'm not entirely sure if i'm entering DFU mode properly or just regular recovery mode, because i cannot get the device to power off in order to commence the DFU sequence.

i've had every iphone, and jailbroken all of them, but i've never done a tethered jb, so my expertise in this exact context is seemingly lacking. do i sound correct in assuming that this ipad IS in fact on a tethered jailbreak? if that's the case, how can i get out of this cycle?

i'm unable to get any information from the ipad such as os version, etc.

any help is greatly appreciated, but please note the following:

i've tried resetting the ipad, the pc, and reinstalling itunes. i've tried a multitude of cables (all original apple, as several iOS devices exist in my home). i've tried iReb, fixrecovery-win, and a handful of other tools (all cannot connect to device). i've inspected the dock plug with a magnifying glass, and all looks as it should.

thanks!

EDIT: i'm trying to get this ipad serviceable for my wife, so it needn't be jailbroken, but it's ok if it is. as long as it turns on and does facebook lol.

Last edited:
OP
R

reverendalc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try it and please, let us know how you get on.

i have tried, and would love ever so much to do that, however i can't seem to get into DFU mode. the device has only three states: battery too low for anything, turning on, or crashed. i'm unable to have the ipad fully on or fully off to start the DFU sequence.

if i can (which i can) get it into restore mode (showing the connect to itunes screen) does that mean i CAN in fact get into DFU mode, i just need to try harder/more? i'm not entirely sure when to start the DFU sequence.

during powerup, i see:
apple for a few seconds
brief black screen
apple for another second
change to pot-leaf animation
spinny circle start
CRASH /-;

is there a particular stage wherein i should commence the DFU sequence?

thanks!

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
reverendalc said:
i have tried, and would love ever so much to do that, however i can't seem to get into DFU mode. the device has only three states: battery too low for anything, turning on, or crashed. i'm unable to have the ipad fully on or fully off to start the DFU sequence.

if i can (which i can) get it into restore mode (showing the connect to itunes screen) does that mean i CAN in fact get into DFU mode, i just need to try harder/more? i'm not entirely sure when to start the DFU sequence.

during powerup, i see:
apple for a few seconds
brief black screen
apple for another second
change to pot-leaf animation
spinny circle start
CRASH /-;

is there a particular stage wherein i should commence the DFU sequence?

thanks!

You don't need the iPad to be off to start DFU. Just pretend it is. Start the process at any time, pressing both buttons together and start the count to 10. Once in DFU, leave it charging on the black / blank screen for hours to get sufficient charge in it. Use the wall charger if possible. Leave it overnight if on USB. It WILL charge in DFU mode.

OP
R

reverendalc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well that certainly is nice to know. i've read a wealth of DFU related information, and everybody says (some insist) that the device must be off or on. somebody should put a sticky on GOOGLE!!! lol

please forgive me for my request of redundancy; i find being exhaustively informed is the key.

as soon as my ipad shows the apple, i can start the DFU sequence? (also, does the ipad have to be plugged into the computer to enter DFU mode?)

i've left it on the wall charger overnight in recovery mode. will that charge too?

thanks guys!!!!

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well that certainly is nice to know. i've read a wealth of DFU related information, and everybody says (some insist) that the device must be off or on. somebody should put a sticky on GOOGLE!!! lol

please forgive me for my request of redundancy; i find being exhaustively informed is the key.

as soon as my ipad shows the apple, i can start the DFU sequence? (also, does the ipad have to be plugged into the computer to enter DFU mode?)

i've left it on the wall charger overnight in recovery mode. will that charge too?

thanks guys!!!!

You need to use Redsn0w to reboot the iPad.
So, after charging like f4780y said, plug into your computer, download the latest redsnow from here: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.10b4.zip?attredirects=0&d=1
and make sure you run it as an Admin if you have Vista or 7.

Then click on "Extras" and click the "Just Boot" box. Then follow the instructions on how to get into DFU. (to answer your question, the iPad can be in any state and enter DFU mode)

OP
R

reverendalc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure i'm in DFU mode, the screen is black and it doesn't show the battery when i tap the home button. i have redsnow 0.9.10b4 but it says "no device detected" when i try to boot. i'll just let it sit in DFU mode and charge for a bit, but when it's charged up i still don't know what to do /-;

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure i'm in DFU mode, the screen is black and it doesn't show the battery when i tap the home button. i have redsnow 0.9.10b4 but it says "no device detected" when i try to boot. i'll just let it sit in DFU mode and charge for a bit, but when it's charged up i still don't know what to do /-;

You need to leave it overnight on the WALL charger then. I guess USB isn't working for you at the moment.
The next morning give it a try, doing DFU like redsnow tells you to. See what happens.

Most reactions

Latest posts