What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 Mirroring via AirPlay

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question or has been asked before, but with the announcement of iOS 5, I thought it was pretty cool the iPad 2 could mirror to a tv via Apple TV and AirPlay.

Is there anyway I could get that to work on the original iPad. Like is there a jailbroken app I could use to get that to work wirelessly (on 4.3.3 of course)? I saw there is a way to do it with wires....but not without.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
At the moment, there is nothing you can do to wirelessly mirror the iPad on an HDTV.

I'm hoping that when iOS 5 is released - and is jailbroken - that "they" will figure out what allows the iPad2 to connect wirelessly and then "they" can figure out a way to get a jailbroken iPad1 to do it, also.

We'll just have to wait and see if anyone can do this (cause it sure aint' me! :D).

Marilyn

heckelda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would love to see this feature introduced. If someone can figure out how to jailbreak and add this feature can someone please post it here. I know some of the supposed issues with this feature are the graphics processing capability of the iPad1, but if it can send movies via airplay I'm not sure I understand why it couldn't display the desktop. I have the suspicion that Apple jsut wants people to upgrade to the iPad2. Bad Apple!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I have read, the new mirroring does not work as well as using individual apps that have built in AirPlay. So I for one am not missing it on my iPad 1 however, TVout Genie seems to work quite well for me when I have needed it.

The Archangel

heckelda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I did the non-jailbreak method to get gestures and I thought this procedure also said it would alow airplay mirroring. I have since read some posts that say it doesn't work for that. I have not gotten it to work. When connected to my apple TV the airplay option shows up in the quick launch bar at the bottom, but no slider selection for mirroring, which i believe is supposed to be there to enable this function. Anyone else have any experience with this? Is there a jailbreak method to allow mirroring? This seems like a sweat feature, I'm almost considering an iPad 2 if I can't get it to work on the original.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I did the non-jailbreak method to get gestures and I thought this procedure also said it would alow airplay mirroring. I have since read some posts that say it doesn't work for that. I have not gotten it to work. When connected to my apple TV the airplay option shows up in the quick launch bar at the bottom, but no slider selection for mirroring, which i believe is supposed to be there to enable this function. Anyone else have any experience with this? Is there a jailbreak method to allow mirroring? This seems like a sweat feature, I'm almost considering an iPad 2 if I can't get it to work on the original.
You are correct, although the original LifeHacker non-jailbreak method (also found here) to enable Multitasking Gestures on the original iPad also mentions that it will enable true AirPlay Mirroring, it does not.

I do believe the only way to accomplish this at this time is to jailbreak your iPad. Have a look in our Hacking area to see what you can find...

iPad Hacking

Most reactions

Latest posts