What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ios 9 the Pro & WiFi direct

Duffman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Picked up a Brother HL-3170CDW wireless.
Have the it and the Pro are on the same wifi network and the Pro sees and prints to it.
But man is it slow. Having to spool through the router is painfully slow.

Manual suggests for faster printing to do a WIFI direct connection between the printer and iPad.
I don't see where or how to set this up in the iPad.
ios9 allow this?

Thanks,

Duff

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Duff - I'm not sure about your printer topology, i.e. is the Brother printer setup as a wireless printer or cabled to a computer or router via USB or ethernet - might help to know?

Check this Apple AirPrint Support Article - your printer is listed as AirPrint compatible, so should be able to print directly to your Brother machine over the same Wi-Fi network w/o an intervening exchange w/ your router. If not familiar w/ this Apple printing technology, please check HERE - also, I'm sure that the Brother website will have useful information. Let me stop here to see if these links may help solve your printing issue. Dave :)

OP
Duffman

Duffman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
giradman,

Thank you for the response. Links helpful!!
I do have the iPad printing to the new printer, via airprint.
In the "advanced setup manual" they talk about using "wi-fi direct" for faster printing.
Supposedly you are able to connect to the printer direct via wireless without having to go through a router.
AH, I see they have an app in the "store".......Hmmmmm

Will let you know what I find out...

Duff

OP
Duffman

Duffman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After some research, no Apple products support Wi-Fi Direct.

Duff

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After some research, no Apple products support Wi-Fi Direct.....

Hi again Duff - I own three devices (AirStash, File-Hub, & a Canon camera w/ Wi-Fi built in) - all have apps which are on my iPad - to connect, I need to go into Settings -> Wi-Fi and then select the 'personal' Wi-Fi network setup by the device I am using (assume the connection is Wi-Fi Direct) - now, I don't know about the Brother app but check in your settings to see if there is a network you need to switch to for the iPad to print? Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts