What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8 Adoption Lagging Significantly Behind iOS 7

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
screen-shot-2014-10-06-at-10-26-31.png

According to fresh report coming from analytics firm Fiksu, a few good days after iOS 8 has been out in the wild, it still can't match the adoption rates of the previous, iOS 7 operating system.

After twelve days, both iOS 6 and iOS 7 had crossed the 50% mark for iOS usage, but iOS 8 is yet to hit the 40% mark, according to Fiksu’s measurements. Mixpanel's research also says iOS 8 is closer to 50%, but it is still far behind iOS 7’s rate of uptake.

It's good to know, though, that iOS 8 is ahead of iOS 5 in terms of usage, but that was expected, since iOS 4 users looking to upgrade to iOS 5 had to plug in to iTunes to update.

The report didn't specify how many iOS 8 users are iPad owners and how many own an iPhone. But what's worth pointing out is that iPhone 6 adoption is record-setting. 17 days since release, the iPhone 6 has touched the 4% level, whereas the combined share of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c was about 3% in the same period.

Source: 9to5Mac

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iOS 8 is still mid-beta at best. There was significantly less work done on iOS 8 beta testing than iOS 7 from testing. The attempt to try to incorporate so many new features with limited testing is what's dragging down iOS 8 significantly in my biased opinion. It's a great attempt, but ultimately it's still just an attempt until possibly iOS 8.1+ assuming it's being released before Christmas season.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To be fair-ish, while iOS 7 was a big change in appearance, not much changed under the hood. There was a lot less to test than with iOS 8, which is mostly under the hood changes; a lot of big changes.

Still, Apple's habit of having the iPhone hardware and software cycle tied together is starting to show some cracks. iOS is getting too complex to be rushed to market.

Or so the speculation goes. Who knows what actually happens inside Apple.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Being in software makes this issue hit home! It's obvious that they sorry of rushed it out to coincide with the iPhone event. Poor planning and not enough resources towards the QA effort is likely what caused this. I've seen it happen before. ;)

I also think a lot of users are now happy to wait out at least a few iterations of an OS before upgrading. It's no longer a release day thing for people. iPad users are especially content to sit tight and wait, it seems.

That being said, I'm on 8.02 and haven't had any trouble at all.

Most reactions