What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 8.1.3 to 12? Any Chances?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been asked by a library patron to help update her Ipad Air (A1474) as she wants to use messenger in facebook. To my horror it appears she has never updated it. I am now backing it up but there seems no way to update it via a Win 7 laptop. I have Itunes 12 for my Ipad, Iphone and Ipod, but I cannot see a way to update this relic. When trying to update through the Ipad, it just asks to connect to Itunes on a computer. When I do so, the Ipad says it may not function with the laptop. Itunes 12 can see the files in the ipad, but is not recognised as a connected device. The devices menu is all greyed out.

Any help would be appreciated

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. No, on the IpadI get this image
IMG_0150[1].PNG
This shows the need for an update
IMG_0149[1].PNG
As She is on IOS 8.x
IMG_0151[1].PNG
This is the screen I get on win 7, iTunes12 when I connect. The only thing I can see is the DCIM folder on file explorer
upload_2019-4-24_20-6-41.png

I wonder if a copy of itunes 9, 10, and 11 would help?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That last screen is what you see after you've restored an iPad. Everything on the iPad has been erased and iTunes is asking if you want to set it up as a new iPad or from a backup from last June. Unless she has a more recent backup on her own computer all her data has been lost.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi Thanks for your help, I the backups were my own Ipad, even though I was logged into her account on Itunes. She has never backed up. I will have to explain that she will need a full reinstall.
Many thanks for your help Scifan, I do appreciate it :)
Cheers
Adrian

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Thanks for your help, I the backups were my own Ipad, even though I was logged into her account on Itunes. She has never backed up. I will have to explain that she will need a full reinstall.
Many thanks for your help Scifan, I do appreciate it :)
Cheers
Adrian
I hope everything going forward is without further incident.

Most reactions