What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 8.0.2 or MAC OSX 10.6. What is the latest for the I-Pad Mini ?

Julian702

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - I need some help, please. I have just a bought a new I Pad Mini (yes, I now know I should have waited - i have just found out that there is a new one coming out soon - oh well, hey ho !) and I also bought Microsoft's Office 365 as I am very familiar with Word and Excel spreadsheets and want to use it on the I-pad. I have registered my purchase on the Microsoft site and it tells me that I cannot use Office 365 as my Mac operating software is not up to date. It says I need MAC OSX 10.6. I check in Settings on my I-pad and it says I am running IOS 8.0.2 and that my software is up to date. So can you tell me what is going on here ? I am fairly new to Macs. What is the difference between MAC OSX and IOS ? Should I never have been sold Office 365 to run on the I-pad mini?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At the moment your software is up to date. The next software update is expected within the next few hours - or minutes...

To use Microsoft, you need the apps that work with Words and Excel. Go to the App Store and search for "Microsoft", and you'll get these as results as well. Just make sure they are from Microsoft. They are free, but you can't do a lot with them except perhaps view your files. To edit files, you need a qualifying Office 365 subscription. You'll find in the app's description what's meant with "qualifying Office 365 subscription".

The difference between OSX and iOS - iOS runs on iPhones, iPads and iPods. It's a mobile operating system. The software isn't capable of everything a computer does. OSX works on Macs and iMacs. It's a desktop operating system.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I believe Office 365 has web apps. There is a good chance those will work on your Mac, provided Safari is up to date. If not, see if Chrome will work.

BTW, if you're Mac is new enough to handle them, both OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) are free. Many older Macs are. Mine is a 2009 and is handling Yosemite well enough, if not as spritely as it did the OS version it came with when new.

Most reactions

Latest posts