What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 7 is now available for download

thunderfootblue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updated the iPad 2 to IOS 7 last night. Also added a copy of the new IOS 7 User Guide from the Apple site to iBooks for reference. So far, so good. I don't mind the new minimalistic interface. As far as I'm concerned, change is good.

RonzoDad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Microsoft has the fortune/misfortune of having rather blasé customers when it comes to updates. People update Windows whenever they get around to it. Hold in mind this isn't a typical update. It's a major iOS version update, like Windows XP to Windows 7 (notice how I skipped Vista?). The minor updates tend to be smoother. While not all Apple fans are 1st day updaters, there are a lot of us. It's not uncommon for over 50% iOS users to update within the first month. If you're frustrated wait a day, or even two. It will go much more smoothly.

The reason Microsoft customers are so "blasé" about updates is simple. Major Microsoft updates cost money whereas, all iOS updates are free. Mac users don't update their OSx every time a new release comes out either.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The reason Microsoft customers are so "blasé" about updates is simple. Major Microsoft updates cost money whereas, all iOS updates are free. Mac users don't update their OSx every time a new release comes out either.

True, though the update on OS X updates also tend to beat Microsoft by a large percentage. I will admit that it's being cheap, usually under $30, and without the complex licensing/packaging that Microsoft can't seem to resist has a significant roll in that. But it's also about enthusiasm and awareness about the product. Windows by being the default operating system ends up with a lot of default users, people who needed or wanted a computer but don't really care beyond that. They'll update when the current computer breaks, because it still works and they can't be bothered to try new features they never needed before.

Are there OS X and iOS users like that? Of course there are. Are there Windows users enthusiastic about upgrading? Yes. Probably more of them than OS X users, in an absolute sense. However, it is the percentage of each type of user that is being measure. Apple has always been good about I attracting (moderately) adventurous people who really care about how their computer works.

Of course both Windows and OS X are eclipsed by Linux users when it comes to pure, raw, upgrade enthusiasm. And yes, free probably has some effect there too. ;)

Peridot16

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cleared off my backup files on the cloud and deleted some apps so I could download iOS 7 last night to my iPad 3. When I woke up this morning I found my iPad with a picture on the home screen of the cable "connecting " to iTunes. I connected it to my laptop and when I went to iTunes the message there said: "iPad is in recovery mode". It suggested I restore to the factory settings. This would dump everything I had stored on the iPad 3 and now I have no backup. I'm pretty upset about this. I'm planning to go visit the so- called geniuses at the store on Monday. I'm back to writing this on my old reliable iPad 1.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I cleared off my backup files on the cloud and deleted some apps so I could download iOS 7 last night to my iPad 3. When I woke up this morning I found my iPad with a picture on the home screen of the cable "connecting " to iTunes. I connected it to my laptop and when I went to iTunes the message there said: "iPad is in recovery mode". It suggested I restore to the factory settings. This would dump everything I had stored on the iPad 3 and now I have no backup. I'm pretty upset about this. I'm planning to go visit the so- called geniuses at the store on Monday. I'm back to writing this on my old reliable iPad 1.

I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like you got some bad information somewhere.

There was no reason to clear the iCloud backup file. Doing so does not free up space on the iPad itself, which is what you probably needed to do to get the backup to work (assuming the iPad was near full).

Having a good backup before doing the update is always the best practice. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I not only make sure my iCloud backup is current, but do a second manual backup on my Mac using iTunes.

With your iPad in recovery mode there is little you can do but restore to factory. But continue with your genius appointment. It's possible (though unlikely) that he/she will have another options for you.

The good news is that all your iStore content and apps can be downloaded again for free. The bad news is that any documents or other data not stored elsewhere is gone.

Good luck.

SunsNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and update in spite of the mix of reviews here and I'm sorry I did. Took over an hour start to finish which didn't really bother me. What bothers me right off the bat is how boring the screen looks now. The icons on my Droid 4 look way better than my iPad now. Regarding the iPad, I hate the way the icons look, I hate the calendar, I hate the background color of my folders, I hate the color of the bar at the bottom. There are a couple of new features that are nice but not earth shattering. If Apple would simply allow the customer to customize their screen, folder colors etc. I'd be happier but overall this upgrade is a major disappointment and I wish I would have left well enough alone.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have ios7 on my iPad for 4 days now, and I am keeping ios6 in my phone, not upgrading that one

London, UK

maria7919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I seriously dont understand all the negativity... Update itunes first then do ur update ... I LOVE the new look and have NO problems at all..

Ipad Now

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I seriously dont understand all the negativity... Update itunes first then do ur update ... I LOVE the new look and have NO problems at all..

What do you mean update iTunes first? Can't I just go into my settings and update ota?
Thanks

saholz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had major problems with IOS 7 on my iPad 3. The download and install went perfectly, and I started using IOS 7 with no problems at all. That was Friday night. Saturday morning it was still fine. I tried to use it Saturday night and the device was totally dead, even though it was left with a 75% charge showing. I plugged it into the AC charger and got the empty battery icon with a red line through it, as well as the lightning icon. After about an hour, the screen came back on showing a 2% battery charge. I called Apple and they suggested resetting the device through the Settings/General menu, but not until the battery level reached 10%. That took over an hour, at which point I reset the device. I tried reconnecting to my wifi network, but it would not do it. At 20%, it finally was able to connect with no problem. All seemed fine, so I left it plugged in and tried it this morning. The battery was at 100% but the device now seemed very unresponsive. I could not change the wallpaper because it didn't respond to the controls. Set for automatic detection of the time zone, it could not find my time zone.

I shut the device down and all seemed to return to normal, with no delay in keyboard strokes. It still wouldn't detect my time zone, and I had to change that to the manual setting to get an accurate time. The other thing that worries me now is the battery level. It seems to be moving way too slow, still showing a 94% level after nearly two hours of use. I'll wait and see what happens here before calling Apple support again.

I'm fine with the new interface and features, although I did disable the passcode feature which was driving me nuts. IOS 7.0, IMHO, is not quite ready for prime time. It has lots of great features, and I'm getting used to the simplified icon scheme, but what a mess of issues. There's already an IOS 7.01 update for the iPhone, so I'm hoping some fixes for the iPad will be available very soon. As of right now, I am very disappointed and sorry I didn't wait for the first bug fixes before I did this irreversible upgrade.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had major problems with IOS 7 on my iPad 3. The download and install went perfectly, and I started using IOS 7 with no problems at all. That was Friday night. Saturday morning it was still fine. I tried to use it Saturday night and the device was totally dead, even though it was left with a 75% charge showing. I plugged it into the AC charger and got the empty battery icon with a red line through it, as well as the lightning icon. After about an hour, the screen came back on showing a 2% battery charge. I called Apple and they suggested resetting the device through the Settings/General menu, but not until the battery level reached 10%. That took over an hour, at which point I reset the device. I tried reconnecting to my wifi network, but it would not do it. At 20%, it finally was able to connect with no problem. All seemed fine, so I left it plugged in and tried it this morning. The battery was at 100% but the device now seemed very unresponsive. I could not change the wallpaper because it didn't respond to the controls. Set for automatic detection of the time zone, it could not find my time zone.

I shut the device down and all seemed to return to normal, with no delay in keyboard strokes. It still wouldn't detect my time zone, and I had to change that to the manual setting to get an accurate time. The other thing that worries me now is the battery level. It seems to be moving way too slow, still showing a 94% level after nearly two hours of use. I'll wait and see what happens here before calling Apple support again.

I'm fine with the new interface and features, although I did disable the passcode feature which was driving me nuts. IOS 7.0, IMHO, is not quite ready for prime time. It has lots of great features, and I'm getting used to the simplified icon scheme, but what a mess of issues. There's already an IOS 7.01 update for the iPhone, so I'm hoping some fixes for the iPad will be available very soon. As of right now, I am very disappointed and sorry I didn't wait for the first bug fixes before I did this irreversible upgrade.

i dp feel sorry for you, i have an ipad 3 and none of the problem you mention have happened, hope it all work out for you, obviously a software issue given your ipad was working fine with the previous ios6

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to close out the apps on iOS 7??

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions

Latest posts