What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6: No more street view?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I watched the keynote tonight and was quite pleased by the new features. But it looks like we are gonna loose the "Street View" feature from Google Map, being replace by the navigation feature.

For sure it should be available directly on Google's site, but I really liked that feature as I could see the surrounding of my destination before leaving.

Have I missed something or this what's coming? Too bad if we lose it, but turn-by-turn is also a long missed native feature...

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
You are correct, no Street View since that was part of google maps. Also note that all apps that you have that currently use Google maps will automatically switch to apples maps when run on iOS 6. I have not looked at the new Maps api but 3rd party app makers could always specifically code their app to use Google maps some of them already give you the option to use a variety of maps.

The 3D flyover mode with the 3D buildings is amazing, however they dont have it everywhere, Here in Miami,FL they only have the 3D buildings in downtown Miami.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
yes, it will be curious to see how the usual 'america only club' is varied.

so, if the usual google maps app dissapears, how do we access street view via the google maps web app on the ipad? when i press the google maps w/ street view in the web app it takes me to the resident ipad app. but if this goes......? in other words, will street view still be available?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should be able to download it as an app, or within an app.

marisaB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think so. Today’s WWDC keynote didn’t disappoint those who were looking for news on the next version of iOS, iOS 6. Here’s the details on some of the largest new additions to what Apple calls “the most advanced mobile operating system.â€

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many people will not be happy having no street view. Which also brings up another thing I really dislike about Apple, is them not letting you choose default applications.

My parents most likely will not update to ios 6 if there is no street view. They use it with the contacts list.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like street view, too. Will try to hang onto it if possible.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one has said that Google Maps will not be an option. That is Google's decision to make. If I am not mistaken, part of the issue is that Google made features available on Android that they would not port to iOS. And street view is available through Safari. And Apple does give choices. You are able to pick your search engine, for example.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one has said that Google Maps will not be an option. That is Google's decision to make. If I am not mistaken, part of the issue is that Google made features available on Android that they would not port to iOS. And street view is available through Safari. And Apple does give choices. You are able to pick your search engine, for example.

Apple restrictions on the default browser send you to the native map app when you look up an address, for instance. It's not that Google access will be cut out entirely (because that's not within Apple's reach even if they'd like, lol). It's a matter of a change leading to users having to take extra steps to access what works seamlessly right now.

macuser88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sorry, but this is a complete mistake by Apple in my opinion. Why take away with what works perfectly for everyone. No, now you get to integrate Siri, your mentally disabled guardian to give you turn by turn directions (Common guys, would you trust Siri with your life?! She is not the smartest of gals!) I do not get it. Especially with all the updates from Google Maps.

I am personally loving 3d flyover technology and indoor maps features on GoogleMaps. Oh and the offline maps feature...whaaaaaaatttt!@@ Brilliant. Works seamlessly on my tablet and phone.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Maps Api for apps don't really need street view, and there's always Google Earth.

Sent from K48

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
StreetView is way more useful than a 1000 feet overview of the target area. Maybe we'll still have the buildings and streets available in the same way, but having a real view of the surroundings with trees, lights, parking space is easier to figure out where to go when on target.

I just hope that StreetView will still be available one way or another because it's an amazing feature to validate that the destination pin is actually on the right address street number. Sometimes, the data map have some discrepancies with the real position of the destination.

We'll see in a few months...

sgtbanjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the iPhone 4, we have reduced functionality over google maps as the turn by turn and 3D flyover is not available. Also when using find my friends and selecting 'get directions', my iPad opens Safari with a link to google maps??

Most reactions

Latest posts