What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6 And Updating Apps

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When updating apps already installed on my iPad 3 and iPhone 4S, why is it that the iPad does not require a password but the iPhone does?

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happened to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Maybe you had logged off you Apple ID?

I use my ID for certain Apps on my wife's and daughter's phone ("family sharing" of apps) and sign out afterwards. Every update I have to enter the password again.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have iOS 6, it does updates without requiring password authentication. If both have iOS 6, then it may be in the settings.

OP

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I checked the iPad and phone's Settings>iTunes & App Stores, there is no option there to require a password or not for app updates. Both are running iOS 6. I am continuously logged in to both iTunes and the App Store. There's got to be a reason that one device requires a password and the other doesn't. No big deal though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happened to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I only have an iPad 3, and have never signed out of my account. Since updating to iOS6, sometimes the App Store asks for my ID to update free apps, sometimes not. It seems to be 50/50, at random. <shrug>

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5er driver said:
I checked the iPad and phone's Settings>iTunes & App Stores, there is no option there to require a password or not for app updates. Both are running iOS 6. I am continuously logged in to both iTunes and the App Store. There's got to be a reason that one device requires a password and the other doesn't. No big deal though.

Do you have pass codes on both devices? I know that outside the 15 minute window I was required to enter my password on my phone every time, even for updates until I reenabled the pass code on my phone.

OP

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I have pass codes turned on for each device. Does anyone else have to enter a password to download app updates on their iPhone running iOS 6 but not on their iPad? I download updates on the iPad without having to enter a password. As soon as they have installed, I then tap to download the same updates on the iPhone and have to enter a password before the downloads will begin.

Last edited:

Most reactions