What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5?

qaddodi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You think the UI would be more "desktop" like ? or will it be stuck with the icons based OS?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the programmes on my desktops, windows and mac, have icons for the programmes and have had for years?

The Archangel

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the others have suggested, there will be a convergence of Mac and iOS UI's and although some desktop elements may make their way to iOS devices, just the opposite will be true for the most part. (Even MS is following the leader.) Here's a shot of my iMac's OS X 10.7 (Lion) desktop:

v3nerd.jpg

Icons will be the way of the future...although I'm sure with an app or two folks will be able to modify things to their liking.

Last edited:

htowngator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the others have suggested, there will be a convergence of Mac and iOS UI's and although some desktop elements may make their way to iOS devices, just the opposite will be true for the most part. (Even MS is following the leader.) Here's a shot of my iMac's OS X 10.7 (Lion) desktop:

v3nerd.jpg

Icons will be the way of the future...although I'm sure with an app or two folks will be able to modify things to their liking.

Icons will be the way of the future, huh?

I guess Microsoft was WAY ahead of their time?

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because there is nothing like having to minimize every window to launch a new program on your desktop. No thanks to that. Desktops are simple enough as it is now, no further need to dumb them down.

nappels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope they include an option to kill all running apps at once. Sometimes it just takes a minute to close all (suspended) running apps.

ColemanLee09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nappels said:
I hope they include an option to kill all running apps at once. Sometimes it just takes a minute to close all (suspended) running apps.

Doesn't take me a minute but I do think this feature would be very helpful!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice thread. Hope apple are watching. I do hope they allow page 1 to be customisable with widgets (dare I say it...learn from android). Icon based pages are great but I would love to be able to see my calendar, the weather, liveprofile messages, iPF updates the moment I turn on my device and not have to open each program individually.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

htowngator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice thread. Hope apple are watching. I do hope they allow page 1 to be customisable with widgets (dare I say it...learn from android). Icon based pages are great but I would love to be able to see my calendar, the weather, liveprofile messages, iPF updates the moment I turn on my device and not have to open each program individually.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Yes, live widgets would be a huge hit for Apple users. I played around with the Xoom and I must say that turning on the screen and having my gmail list, the music player, and the weather map all displayed was nice.

I still went with iPad 2 though because I wanted better media playback. Honeycomb, as it stands now, can't compete with iOS in that regard.

hamletpri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My hopes for iOS 5

I'm really excited for iOS 5, I definetly think it will bring some improvement to the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. I do love iOS but there are some areas that it does seem to be falling behind a bit almost, and I hope apple can pick up in them. You can read my full iOS 5 wishlist on my site at the link bellow, high up on my list of course is a redone notifications system (as I said, I love iOS but seriously, the notifications are an attrocity), and widgets.
Edit of advertising URL - moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score

That would cut into their app revenue for apps like xsysinfo that does that for you.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

snocown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 5 for y'all

ios 5 actually does have what someone on the first page said, there is something called the notification center that u can customize with widgets and stuff, and it posts messages u get and all notifications u get I'm there, which is customizable as well

and I upgraded to beta 4 and never made a call until today, and man it was horrible, there was a major glitch where I accidentally clicked a number, and it called, my screen went gray and it just kept calling, so I pressed the home button, and tried clicking the phone icon, no luck, and then when I tried pressing the top button that says press to return to call, the notification center came down, and I was ****ed, but if u put ur face to the phone, u can end ur call lol

thesoundsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.thesoundsmith.com
I'd be happy if I can just create a playlist in the iTunes player AND SAVE IT without having to go through my computer. And to do this with my other music performance apps. To edit an audio file and save to Music.

But it seems they are trending the opposite direction. Using iCloud means putting all your music preferences, purchases and all that entails into a hackable, marketable and auditable cyberspace. Do you really want your personal tastes to be flagged for advertising? To sell you more, and bind you to your pigeonhole more tightly? (Think about this - if you only ever hear your two favorites bands and their Genius links, how will you discover other styles of music and grow as a listener?) Having choices made for you based on previous choices is not how to become better or more interesting, it just makes you more as you were...

And of course if you download music from outside sources - or create your own content...

And then they want you to pay $25/year (minimum) to store your own music.

Seems to me they really ARE trying to push Android...

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thesoundsmith said:
But it seems they are trending the opposite direction. Using iCloud means putting all your music preferences, purchases and all that entails into a hackable, marketable and auditable cyberspace....
Although it probably won't meet everyone's requirements or expectations it would probably be worthwhile to read up a little more about the iCloud service. I agree with some of what you said, however a number of "facts" in your post are speculation others conjecture and still others are just incorrect.

Bottom line is that no one has to use iCloud to enjoy iTunes and ultimately Apple isn't for everyone. I am all for competition as it generally improves products, spurs innovation and drives the market to a better user experience. Options are good and this one doesn't sound like it's for you.

Most reactions

Latest posts