What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5 Safari Question

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Irst of all I'm really loving Safari for ios 5 so much better and faster with tabbed browsing. My only problem, is that when I'm typing something to search for in the google bar, it only searches find on page. For example, when I type "disable find on page in safari iOS 5" it doesn't google it, it tries to find it on the page. Is there any way to disable find on page?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Weird. Have you tried the usual, close the app, restart, and reset?

Other things I would try, if the above failed.

Go to Safai in Settings and clear the cache and history, then go to the Advanced settings, Website Data, and clear out any mention of google.com or the entire thing.

You could also try temporarily switching to one of the other search engines.

All in all, it sounds like you aren't getting the Google search at all, wich is why you only get the local results.

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did all of the above with no luck. I can start out typing something and it will show search suggestions, then it will switch to find on page only.

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, still does the same thing. Can anyone else on iOS 5 confirm this behavior?

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried typing " disable find on page in safari" to see if it does it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I think I see what is happening. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. :)

You're typing until all the Google suggestions disappear and the only think left is the On The Page options. If you select/touch that, of course it only searches on the page. But have you tried just tapping the Search button on the touch keyboard instead? When I do (using your example) it goes to the google search just as expected.

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried what twerppoet said, I get the same thing. You just hit search on the keypad and it'll do the Google search properly.

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're right. It does search properly. It was just weird that no more google suggestions came up and the find on page box was at the bottom above the keyboard.

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was just an odd behavior. I rarely used safari before iOS 5 and don't remember it ever doing that before. Thanks for the help though! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

I just tried your long search in Safari on the iMac. It does the same thing, only it's not as obvious because the remaining list is Recent searches, and not On This Page. I bet other browsers to the same thing. After all there has to be a limit to how many suggestions vs. search queries Google keeps handy. If you type long enough you're bound to run it against it's limits.

Most reactions

Latest posts