What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.3

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wen do people this in update will happen? I've been hearing reports that it is coming out Thursday. But I think it is more likely it will be announced on that day, but will be available to download before Xmas and/or early in the new year.

What dies everything think? Given that it is only going to be a minor update to the app store for subscription based apps, there's nothing for developers to really test, thus it could drop at any time...

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the mags are saying it will be released on Thursday. The big change in this version is that it will allow subscription billing for magazine apps. According to CNet --

"Unlike 4.2, which introduced a host of new features (like AirPlay and AirPrint), 4.3 will include just one major addition: subscription billing, which would allow content providers to charge weekly, monthly, or annually for subscriptions."

And no, it will not include a change that allows the user to decide what to use that switch on the side for!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like I'll stick with the old version 3.2.2. That rotate lock switch wasn't broken. Why did they have to "fix" it?
So because of that one feature alone, you are going to stay stuck in the past?

(I knew I should have left that last line out of my first post!)

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like I'll stick with the old version 3.2.2. That rotate lock switch wasn't broken. Why did they have to "fix" it?

How do you know they won't change it back after reading all the complaints?

or maybe it was an accidental change! :p

I've been reading around and heard it should come out early 2011.

The switch still hasn't grown on me, the quick volume decrease was perfect.
Double tapping home and locked the orientation takes to long, imo. lol

Davidmacpherson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was aghast (well that might be a little strong... but I was certainly unhappy!) at the prospect of losing the rotation lock switch function as I used it often.

Now a couple of weeks after the upgrade I find I have NEVER used the orientation lock "soft" switch! Guess old dogs can be taught new tricks! Being able to create folders was a feature that, for me at least, over-rode the loss of the orientation hard switch.

There are many other things I'd rather see in the next release than returning the orientation control to the side switch.

David

Last edited:

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now a couple of weeks after the upgrade I find I have NEVER used the orientation lock "soft" switch! Guess old dogs can be taught new tricks! Being able to create folders was a feature that, for me at least, over-rode the loss of the orientation hard switch.

I use it constantly, so I find the new method tedious. I do everything but reading in landscape mode, but I read a lot it affects me more.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Nope. I just haven't seen anything in the update that makes it worth losing the screen lock switch. Also, problems with the CCK and other things in the update just tell me to not fix what ain't broke; and there's no "stuck" about it.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some day Apple will force you to change or leave the Apple world ( or least pay for future upgrades)If the old version works for you then use it however using the orientation key as a reason to remain in the past is not good enough.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

*facepalm* you aren't going to update because of that? LOL. Just update and jailbreak if it bugs you so much.

Making that switch to a system mute switch is actually a great feature in my opinion. Now I can have the volume up without having to hear all the annoying taps from the keyboard and beeps and whatever else. I just hear my music.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some day Apple will force you to change or leave the Apple world ( or least pay for future upgrades)If the old version works for you then use it however using the orientation key as a reason to remain in the past is not good enough.

I guess you didn't read my last message.

1.) There are no new features in the update that interest me.
2.) The screen lock key change is a negative.
3.) Reported problems with the CCK and other things are also negatives/

There are three reasons right there. 3.2.2, for me, ain't broke; so, for me, it doesn't need fixing.

As far as future updates for pay are concerned, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. If all goes as planned, I probably will never get there; as I will almost certainly have moved on from the iPad.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I guess you didn't read my last message.

1.) There are no new features in the update that interest me.
2.) The screen lock key change is a negative.
3.) Reported problems with the CCK and other things are also negatives/

There are three reasons right there. 3.2.2, for me, ain't broke; so, for me, it doesn't need fixing.

As far as future updates for pay are concerned, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. If all goes as planned, I probably will never get there; as I will almost certainly have moved on from the iPad.

The multitasking/history bar and background audio are HUGE improvements! Even the rotation/mute is better suited in my opinion. In meetings it's just like my iPhone flip the switch...done. You don't have too go hunting for the rotation lock depending on how your holding your iPad..its always in the same spot right side up in the bar!

nooris

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes, that one feature alone is tremendously important. I will stay stuck in the past until they fix that button. If they don't I will gladly dump the iPad all together.

Most reactions

Latest posts