What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introductions

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm Allyson and I've been an Apple fan since about 1993.

I bought my iPad2 32GB with Wi-Fi + Verizon 3G almost 3 months ago because once I started using my MacBook Pro in the NYC subway system and in the classroom (I teach), I began to crave a more portable device.

I learned the hard way (I have an iPod Touch) how frustrating and limiting it can be to have a Wi-Fi only device. The value of the 3G version became immediately clear when I used my time on the MetroNorth train one day to email myself my handwritten meeting notes from Penultimate to typed format and then emailed the minutes to all meeting members less than 2 hours after the meeting had ended.

I downloaded Quickoffice Pro thinking it would be convenient to be able to have my essential and idential laptop folders on my iPad. It is, but I find myself using iAnnotate PDF and Pages so much more often.

iAnnnotate PDF is invaluable because it can be used as a fragment of my desktop as well. It's not as elegant in appearance as iBook, but since I can not only annotate but organize my PDFs in folders like I can on a laptop, I scanned and transferred all the books and textbook sections I use for work into this app. This is especially important to me as I'm in my fifties and I have to walk up and down some very long subway stairs. My back does not miss the extra weight of all those books.

I never expected to use Camera for taking pictures or shooting video, but at a family function, since I don't have a digital camera, I picked it up and started using it. It's great for outdoors and the photography apps have been quite helpful for correcting the limitations of Camera.

When I noticed I was using Pages and my MacBook Pro dock for quick access to important email and typed notes, I consolidated all notes in Evernote, an app I never thought I'd use.

The iPad2 has quickly replaced my laptop for almost all tasks except heavy duty ones involving a lot of window switching ever since I bought the Apple wireless keyboard. There's only one software program I need from my laptop and I'm experimenting with Logmein Ignition to access it remotely.

I'm sorry for the length of this post. I'm quite enthusiastic about my iPad.

Allyson

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Allyson - welcome to the forum - :)

Appears that you're already an EXPERT and can provide some valuable posts to a number of threads here - looking forward to your contributions! :D

OP
Asharp

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind welcome, Giradman.

I've been studying some of the posts and the information in this forum for a couple of weeks. It's helping me to think of how to use the iPad in different ways.

Allyson

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
If logmein doesn't work out for you I recommend Splashtop

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
Asharp

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you Mountainbikermark!

I am curious about Splashtop. I'll check it out.

Allyson

OP
Asharp

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you, Tim.

Thank you also for pointing out the search button function for this forum. It hadn't crossed my mind to use it but I just did and it makes finding advice and opinions on specific apps much more efficient.

Allyson

Reaction score
Thank you Mountainbikermark!

I am curious about Splashtop. I'll check it out.

Allyson

May I also suggest an app called appshopper? It is very helpful on finding apps, which are free, discounted, etc and can be set to alert to price changes. It really made app shopping much better for me

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
May I also suggest an app called appshopper? It is very helpful on finding apps, which are free, discounted, etc and can be set to alert to price changes. It really made app shopping much better for me

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

+1 on Appshoper, great app for tracking sales on apps you want to buy.

OP
Asharp

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice about App Shopper. It is very useful, especially the wish list function.

Allyson

Most reactions

Latest posts