What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet via Ethernet on iPad 2

jpp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Complete noob to the MAC world so go easy on me guys.

I've been searching for solutions to use a wired Ethernet connection to the Ipad 2. The apple store has no such accessory, but I do have a USB to Ethernet dongle. I've ordered the USB dongle for the iPad, so theoretically I should be able to use that to make an Ethernet connection.

Reason I'm looking for this connection method, is that in some hotels I've been in recently, the only Internet connection is via wired Ethernet.

So, has anyone tried this out yet, and if so, does it work much like a PC where you select DHCP and let the hotel's server do its things wrt IP address and DNS settings?

At a more basic level, does the iPad even allow you to use its USB connection as a means to connect to the outside world as if it's a Wi-Fi connection? I have ordered the 3G model btw, so can go that route, but it's an expensive way to connect to the Web.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Complete noob to the MAC world so go easy on me guys.

I've been searching for solutions to use a wired Ethernet connection to the Ipad 2. The apple store has no such accessory, but I do have a USB to Ethernet dongle. I've ordered the USB dongle for the iPad, so theoretically I should be able to use that to make an Ethernet connection.

Reason I'm looking for this connection method, is that in some hotels I've been in recently, the only Internet connection is via wired Ethernet.

So, has anyone tried this out yet, and if so, does it work much like a PC where you select DHCP and let the hotel's server do its things wrt IP address and DNS settings?

At a more basic level, does the iPad even allow you to use its USB connection as a means to connect to the outside world as if it's a Wi-Fi connection? I have ordered the 3G model btw, so can go that route, but it's an expensive way to connect to the Web.

The USB interface on the iPad has very limited capabilities and, for sure, a USB-Ethernet dongle will not work. The only way to utilise an Ethernet connection in a hotel that doesn't have WiFi (they still exist??!!) is to take a small wireless router with you and use that to set up a small WiFi hotspot. Several members have had the same problem and the wireless router solution seems to be the only way forward.

Tim

OP
jpp

jpp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim, I was afraid of that. Guess I'll start hunting for a pocket sized Ethernet to WiFi dongle. If anyone has found such an animal, I'd be pleased to hear about it. And yes, non WiFi hotels/motels etc still do exist - lots of them in Europe and some here in Australia too :).

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most members have used Apple Airport Express - but it's $99....:(

Tim
Thanks again Tim. Just been surfing the net - tons of dongles to choose from starting at $32 AUD - e.g. this one from ASUS. If it's MAC compatible, does that mean that it's automatically compatible with the iPad?

No - there are no USB-Ethernet dongles compatible with the iPad - even MAC compatible ones won't work. Don't be tempted - they most definitely will not work!!

Tim

OP
jpp

jpp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No - there are no USB-Ethernet dongles compatible with the iPad - even MAC compatible ones won't work. Don't be tempted - they most definitely will not work!!

Tim
Yep, sorry, realised that I was searching for the wrong product as soon as I made the post so I deleted it - but you got to it before I deleted it :). Now searching for alternatives to the Apple product.....

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim
Yep, sorry, realised that I was searching for the wrong product as soon as I made the post so I deleted it - but you got to it before I deleted it :). Now searching for alternatives to the Apple product.....

OK - no problem. There are lots of (pocket sized) Ethernet - WiFi routers out there, so no need at all to get the Apple one!!

When you find one that suits, let us know, because several members have been posting about this recently.

Tim

Reaction score
There are other small wifi routers on the market, but the reason why I would choose the Airport Express is, that it has the charger inbuilt. You really only have one device, whereas with other wifi routers, you will have the wifi router, as well as a seperate charger. If the price is too high, you could always buy a refurbished APE from Apple, or buy a used one.

Anyway, here is another small wifi router with fairly good reviews:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-300Mbps-Wireless-N-Travel-TEW-654TR/dp/B002G1CLS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305713501&sr=8-1[/ame]

OP
jpp

jpp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, here's a list of some that I've come across. I'll add to it as I find them.

1. http://au.billion.com/product/datasheet/new/bipac3100sn.pdf
    This one is still a little large for my liking though. But, it does have the power supply as part of it.
  2. http://dstore.com/buy/netgear-wnce2...source=nextag_AU&utm_medium=cpc&ref=nextag_AU
    If the iPad USB dongle has the 5V supply line that is normally present on USB ports, this is can be powered without an external Power Supply. Can someone verify that the iPad does carry the 5V line and that it's capable of the normal 500mA supply current? Note that the iPad's USB port would only be used to supply power - not data.
  3. http://gizmodo.com/5482659/netgears-universal-wi+fi-internet-adapter-connects-consoles-and-tvs-alike
    Also capable of being run from a USB port.
  4. http://store.apple.com/us/product/M...nes?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg&mco=MTA4NTc4MTE#overview
    For completeness, the Apple Airport. Thus far it's the best on the list. Audio output as well as a USB port and built-in PS. By the time I import one from outside of Australia, it may well be the best buy in terms of cost and value.

Last edited:
Reaction score
jpp said:
If the iPad USB dongle has the 5V supply line that is normally present on USB ports, this is can be powered without an external Power Supply. Can someone verify that the iPad does carry the 5V line and that it's capable of the normal 500mA supply current?

The wifi router cannot be powered by the iPad. The current is limited to 10mA, which is way below the required 500mA. So an external power supply is necessary.

However, you might be able to connect the wifi router to the iPad wall charger.

Last edited:
OP
jpp

jpp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jpp said:
If the iPad USB dongle has the 5V supply line that is normally present on USB ports, this is can be powered without an external Power Supply. Can someone verify that the iPad does carry the 5V line and that it's capable of the normal 500mA supply current?

The wifi router cannot be powered by the iPad. The current is limited to 10mA, which is way below the required 500mA. So an external power supply is necessary.

However, you might be able to connect the wifi router to the iPad wall charger.
Good idea as I've ordered the extra Power Supply which is supposed to output heaps of current.

OP
jpp

jpp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Game over I think. The clincher was/is the Audio output of the Airport. It was the next project I was going to tackle - connecting the iPad wirelessly to my Audio System, and here it is already - at no extra cost. Pretty impressed so far with all the hardware functionality that Apple offers.

GulfcoastGeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heres a great solution. I just returned from a trip to Europe and many hotels there do not provide a wifi connection only an in-room ethernet connection. I carry a Cradlepoint CTR500 router with me when I travel. It has just about any kind of connectivity that you need. It has ethernet, a usb and express slot for cellular data cards of just about any kind. It is a full featured router with failover to to get to the internet through any of the connected gateways. It has just about any kind of security you can think of builtin. It is powered by an included a/c adapter which works well with power from 120-240 volts. I went to radio shack and bought a cigarette lighter adapter and power it in my truck. I have an at&t express wifi card that I use in my truck and have a nice wifi hotspot using the device. I had my own wifi network in the hotels in Europe using their ethernet connection. Just a thought.

SageBrush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also want to set up a personal wireless network when I am staying in a hotel that has an ethernet connection, regardless whether the room also has a weak wireless signal. The problem I *think* I am running into is the hotel server require me to click on an agreement to terms button before an internet connection is established.

The router cannot click the button, and I do not see the page on my client computer. I am guessing the way to handle this problem is to have the router act only as a bridge, but I'd love suggestions!

Re: the apple express, does it act as a DHCP server for the LAN, or only act as a passthrough ?

GulfcoastGeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Connecting wireless router to hotel ethernet

The cradlepoint ctr500 as does my linksys travel router passes the hotel authentication through to the client ipad/iphone and when you launch a browser it should present the hotel wired network authentication to you on your client device. I use this all the time at many different hotel properties and it works fine.

Most reactions

Latest posts