What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Instagram problem..

DawNikkie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im using ipad mini and when i try to upload photos in my instagram account, just after the photo gets cropped, it would get pixelated and blurry. i need help how to fix it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It sounds like you are cropping too much, so that you don't have enough photo left to display at Instagram's resolution. If you are using photos from the back camera, you'd need to crop them by at least ¼ before seeing significant pixilation in Instagram. However, the front camera has a fairly low resolution, and may appear pixilated after only mild cropping. It's intended primarily for video, and has a far lower resolution.

I could be completely wrong here, but going by what you've said so far, that's all I can think of.

teebee65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there DawNikkie. I am having the exact same problem. Did you find any answers?

teebee65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should probably have given a more detailed account of the problem - and, by the way, when we post with our iPhone we do not have this issue. We shoot the pic (and for sake of argument, lets say its a Heinz ketchup bottle) with the back camera. Looks great. We open Instagram, retrieve the photo, and WITHOUT any actual cropping at all, as soon as we hit "crop" the picture pixelates to the point where we can't read the word Heinz anymore. We use Instagram to shoot and display our products and we are finding it unusable on the ipad mini.

This is the first post that I have found of someone complaining of the same issue. It's obviously not a common problem. Any suggestions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Without any idea of what's going on, all I can suggest are the usual fixes. If those don't work try deleting and re-downloading the app.

----------------------------
The usual fixes:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

Lynnied1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue and have just deleted the app and reinstalled it, shut down the ipad mini and restarted, reinstalled the Instagram app and tried again. The photos still pixelate when the crop button is pushed, even without resizing.

I use both iPhone 4S and ipad mini, and do not have this problem with the iPhone. Most often I post pics from the iPhone, but when I'm on vacation, I load photos from my digital camera to the iPad mini and sometimes post to instagram from there.

When I reinstalled, I noticed that the app is an iPhone app, not an iPad app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . . When I reinstalled, I noticed that the app is an iPhone app, not an iPad app.

That's a good point. I assume you are using the 2X button at the lower right on the screen to view the app at near full screen. This doubles the pixels of the iPhone app, making the entire app look a bit pixilated. I'm not saying this is the cause, but I'm wondering if it is just a display problem in the app, and not the actual picture that's pixilated.

Have either of you finished uploading an Instagram picture from the iPad mini and then looked at it on the iPhone or in a web browser at Instagram.com? If so, is it still badly pixilated there?

I don't normally use Instagram on my iPad, but I uploaded it just to see if I could duplicate the problem. I could not, but I have a 3rd generation iPad, so that may mean nothing, especially since it has the retina display which is a much closer match for the iPhone 4 and 5.

Most reactions