What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Insert Video into Keynote

davidgoodwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have recently bought an Ipad2 for presentations and have keynote. My desktop is windows 7 with Itunes installed but am a beginer with Apple products. I have been able to sync photos that are on my desktop with Itunes and then with my Ipad. I can view this is the Photo app and also see them on the Keynote drop down tab and insert them into a Keynote presentation. I have also been able to sync a couple of short movies that I am trying to add to the Keynote presentation. These movies can be viewed on the Ipad using the movies the movie app that comes with the Ipad. But these movies do not appear on the Keynote drop down tap and can find absolutely no way of either moving them into the photo file on Itunes or moving them on the Ipad.

I am probably missing something very easy and obvious and would really appreciate a step by step guide. I have scoured the forums to find a solution but have not fouind anything that works. I have shared the the movie files with Keynote in Itunes.

With thanks

David

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have recently bought an Ipad2 for presentations and have keynote. My desktop is windows 7 with Itunes installed but am a beginer with Apple products. I have been able to sync photos that are on my desktop with Itunes and then with my Ipad. I can view this is the Photo app and also see them on the Keynote drop down tab and insert them into a Keynote presentation. I have also been able to sync a couple of short movies that I am trying to add to the Keynote presentation. These movies can be viewed on the Ipad using the movies the movie app that comes with the Ipad. But these movies do not appear on the Keynote drop down tap and can find absolutely no way of either moving them into the photo file on Itunes or moving them on the Ipad.

I am probably missing something very easy and obvious and would really appreciate a step by step guide. I have scoured the forums to find a solution but have not fouind anything that works. I have shared the the movie files with Keynote in Itunes.

With thanks

David

I'm sorry to tell you that you've not missed anything. :(

Keynote can import a PowerPoint presentation with an embedded video (i.e. not linked, but embedded) and that will play just fine. But you cannot insert a video into a PowerPoint presentation from within Keynote - this must be done on a PC and the presentation then re-imported into Keynote.

Frustrating - you, bet - but there's no other way that I'm aware of....

Tim

OP
D

davidgoodwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim Thamks very much for your help. I am not trying to import a Powerpoint presentation into Keynote, only gave that as an example. I am trying to import a MP4 movie into a Keynote presentation but cannot see it when I go to the insert tab in Keynote. I can see and play the movie from the Ipad via the Video app that the Ipad came with so have been able to sync the Ipad with Itunes and got the movie onto the Ipad.

Any thoughts?

Cheers David

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you sync the movie via the Photos app (a limited number for formats) you can insert it into Keynote presentation just like you to a picture.

To do this create a specific folder for the Movies in the master folder that you use to sync photos, then select the folder along with the other photo folders you want to sync in iTunes (actually I use iPhoto, but this should work too). Basically any method you can use to get a photo in the the Photos app can be used to transfer a movie. The trick is getting the movie into a compatible format first.

By experience I've had some .mov (quicktime) and .m4v files work. I'm not sure what other formats will work. Everything I've exported from iMovie on the iPad works as well.

OP
D

davidgoodwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Thanks for your help - it works! I thought I had done this before but clearly not. The only probelm now is that the video has lost it's soundtrack so will repeat it but I note that that it was compressed when syncing or opening in Keynote -can't recall.

Cheers
David

OP
D

davidgoodwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Does anyone know how to insert the video without losing the sound? During insertion of the video it gets compressed.

Many thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The two formats I mentioned, and used, kept their sound. However both of those movies were created using iMovie, either on the iMac or the iPad, so that's to be expected. I'm afraid you'll just have to experiment with the audio settings when the movie is created/converted.

Here are the specs (what I can get from the file info) of two formats that worked for me. I don't know how much help they will be.

Attachments

• Movie_Prof_Keynote.jpg
    Movie_Prof_Keynote.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 760

lastdance

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have all my ppt and videos on my dropbox. Is there a way to import the videos from dropbox to my iPad and then using keynote insert video into ppt?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts