What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Infrared remote control

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a XBMC setup, there is an iPad app that allows you to control many of the functions via Wi-Fi. It's pretty cool!

Rich Gibson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using the Re for some time now and not very happy with it. First of all it plugs into the proprietary Apple connector on the bottom of the device so you have to remember to remove it (and lose it?) to keep the device charged and secondly you have to get it up in the air enough to achieve line of sight; it is very sensitive to orientation.

I have opted for iRule and a Global Cache internet controller device ($50 and $150 respectively) It uses RF which means line of sight is not important. The GC has infrared (and RS232) outputs to place on your devices. Further, manufacturers (Denon for sure) have made their receivers internet IP compatible so you don't even need the controller for that device. With iRule you can make a screen (they have easy to follow tutorials for this) which uses the entire IPAD real-estate. Re's only permits the same area as the iPhone/iPod.

nappels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
like this one

Am using the iPad to remote control an soundsystem docked iPod Touch with this:

Tunes Remote

Last edited:

AVGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DemoControlHD app

DemoControlHD iTunes app from DemoPad lets you control anything with your own custom user interface - anything which can be directly controlled via IP, or you can use additional hardware like the Global Cache / Keene range of products - IP to infra red, IP to RS232 etc etc.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a google for a product from Gear4 - it's a funky little IR sender which is controlled via wifi. Pop it in your lounge and control all your devices (any any new ones) from the ipad.

danny montgomery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate too ask but I'm new to all this I need to know if I can use my iphone4s as a remote for my ipad2 thanks!

Most reactions