What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Increasing Volume ? And, Cable Extending Question ?

Robert11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

What a great Forum.
Would be totally lost without all you folks willing to take the time to help me out !
Much appreciated.

Showing my age, again, I guess.

Hearing not the greatest anymore.

Regarding Volume on my iPad3: is there any way to get a "bit" more after pushing the volume button on the side of the case
many times to its presumed maximum ?

And,

I would like to increase the cable length between the wall charger and the iPad by another foot or so.
The cable length included with the iPad cable sure isn't very much.

Seems to me the simplest, and cheapest, would be to simply find a cheap USB "extension" cable and use it between the
USB end that now exists, and the wall charger.

Seems like a much cheaper approach than buying one of the extension cables that picks up the thin rectangular plug that normally goes right into the unit.

Any caveats to my doing it with the USB extension cable approach as described above ?
Would it work (well) for charging ?
Would it work (well) also for plugging into my PC ?

Thanks,
Bob

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Under Settings there is an accessibility option for mono sound. I don't know how that helps but you can try it. You should also make sure you don't have a max volume set.

I use USB extenders on most of my chargers. I get the ones from Amazon that say they are similiar design for Apple products. I am not sure what the max length is for USB cords but I am fairly certain it is much longer than 5 feet.

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a good quality 2 mtr USB extension cable but found it doubled the charge time I also found if I carried on using the iPad while plugged in it wouldn't charge. It could be because the new iPad has a bigger battery and it loses some power on the longer length cable, not sure.

Vinnie110

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find if I put it on to charge at night the cable length isn't a problem.
USB extenders aren't good for power as already mentioned.

A better solution is to buy a 3rd party iPhone/iPad cable which is longer. This is what I did for the car when i run mapping software on the iPad as its a battery killer.

KevStorr WM06 WA039

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
saphire said:
I bought a good quality 2 mtr USB extension cable but found it doubled the charge time I also found if I carried on using the iPad while plugged in it wouldn't charge. It could be because the new iPad has a bigger battery and it loses some power on the longer length cable, not sure.

I think if it were taking twice the charging time I would have noticed it. I don't use a stopwatch but I have not noticed any appreciable difference in charging time. I have a hard time believing that a 2 meter cable could provide enough resistance to make any difference. The 3 charges super slow without the extender while it is being used depending on settings and what you are doing it may not charge at all.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vinnie110 said:
I find if I put it on to charge at night the cable length isn't a problem.
USB extenders aren't good for power as already mentioned.

A better solution is to buy a 3rd party iPhone/iPad cable which is longer. This is what I did for the car when i run mapping software on the iPad as its a battery killer.

KevStorr WM06 WA039

If you buy a charger with a longer cable the only thing you take out of the equation is the male to female connection. While this does create more resistance it should be all but unnoticeable at these short lengths.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a 6 foot usb extention and have no issues, been charging that way for overa year and half with ipad1, and now on ipad3

Sent from my iPad using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For louder sound, I run a stereo cable from the 3.5 mm headphone jack to the similar input on my Logitech speaker control unit. That sends the sound out thought my computer main speakers, so the sound is then amplified and I can get any volume I want. You can buy an external powered speaker designed to take a headphone input any play it though it's speakers the same way I'm doing. Lots of companies sell speakers to use with the iPad, just make sure it gives you enough volume.

As for the cable, I bought two six foot iPad compatible cables off amazon for $10. They worth great. Will post a link when I get home if no one else has done so.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UHDUNI/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts