What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Increase Storage Using iFile and CCK

Salman2027

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please tell me how to increase the memory i have a jailbroken ipad 3 16gb
i saw there is a way to increase its memory using a app ifile and a camera connection kit help please

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. it's good to see you and I hope you enjoy your visits.

First, two administrative things:

(1) Since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section.

(2) I deleted your other thread you started today on this same topic. Making more than one post not only fragments the conversation and makes it hard to follow - it's against the forum rules. Please keep any follow-ups, discussion or updates on this topic to this thread; do not start another. Thanks for your understanding.

Now, your question...

Yes, you can use the jail break tweak iFile ($4.00, USD, in Cydia) and the Apple Camera Connection Kit (CCK) to access an SD card on which you've got movies, files, music, etc.

t's a very simple matter in that all you need is iFile. Once you have iFile, connect the SD card to the iPad with the CCK and open iFile. It should automatically load the card as an external drive (it will show in the Home section, on the left, in iFile). Then, you browse to h]the file you want to open and select it to get the "Open In..." option. Pick the app that will run/open the file and that app will open. Done.

Do note that the file will be transferred to your iPad in order to play - so make sure you have enough storage for the file. Once you have finished viewing it, you can delete the file.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how you get on and if you need more assistance.

Marilyn

SoloPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that my Mini has been broken out of "Applesonville" and I will be putting iFile on it, it seems to me that I can connect the factory USB cable to a powered USB hub, then connect external drive, USB pen drive, etc to the hub rather than buying the CCK . . .right . . ?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that my Mini has been broken out of "Applesonville" and I will be putting iFile on it, it seems to me that I can connect the factory USB cable to a powered USB hub, then connect external drive, USB pen drive, etc to the hub rather than buying the CCK . . .right . . ?

Huh. Never tried or looked for that. But, my first thought is, no, that won't work. The CCK is designed to interact with the iPad in the way it does (what with the way the connector pins are set up). And it probably has some sort of chip that tells it how to work. A regular USB cord won't have that coding.

And......

I just tried it and it doesn't work. I've a USB stick in a powered USB hub. Open iFile = no affect.

Sorry. But, I didn't think it'd be that easy. :) You need the CCK....

Marilyn

SoloPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But a USB stick or USB external drive WILL work, with the CCK?

My problem is that my primary computer runs Suse Linux, but I'm not a Linux expert and can't load the Gtkpod program which would load the iPad. My one Windoze machine is older, short on storage space (so I can't load all of the stuff on it that I want on the iPad) and mission-critical, so I can't just take it out of service to make space, load the iPad then reload the other stuff back on the Toughbook, especially when I have files to load or shuffle every few days.

I don't know anyone else with an iPad, to use their computers to do this, so I'm stuck with my own resources, such as they are, and between contracts I'm on a very tight budget.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ever since Apple changes the power requirements for the 30-pin connector (back on iOS 4, I believe), people have found that USB sticks don't work we'll with the iPad. There's just not enough power at the connected to get the iPad to recognize the USB stick.

So, my advice is to use an SD card. I've successfully used up to a 32GB SDHC card. It mounts easily and I file (with the CCK sees it just fine.

Hope that helps/clarifies.

Marilyn

SoloPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It clarifies, but doesn't help much. ;)

I'm about disgusted enough to organize the villagers and go march on Cupertino with torches and pitchforks.

The day that WingX makes their Android version match the feature set of the iPa(i)d version (or if someone else beats them to it), I'll sell this thing and never buy another Apple product. The "Up yours, we're your only source" attitude is why I sold my Mac 512 back in 1987 and have avoided them for 25 years. The combination of WingX and the Mini lured me back into the swamp a couple of months ago, but never again. The platform is overpriced, underfeatured and way too cumbersome in relation to the competition.

Most reactions

Latest posts