What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In-car GPS/Enterainment

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwt873 said:
...The iPad sits nicely out of the way. See photo below:

Looks like a stock dealer photo. Can you show the actually mount, how it's connected and whatever else is visible BEYOND the iPad?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will be traveling this weekend and my iPad 3 will be my navigation device. This should a good test of the charging ability. I've found that my iPad 3 keeps and gains a charge while using it for Navigation, but I've so far only done trips of about an hour. Over the next couple of weeks, I will make two six hour drives and two 7-8 hour trips.

I strongly disagree with anyone who says an iPad is too big for car nav. The fact is, it is much easier to see at a glance. Navigon works as well as any software on a dedicated GPS device.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like a stock dealer photo. Can you show the actually mount, how it's connected and whatever else is visible BEYOND the iPad?

He said he's closing the glove box with his iPad cover jammed into it. There's no mounting involved. I doubt that's Hyundai's or any automaker's stock photo, lol.

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
He said he's closing the glove box with his iPad cover jammed into it. There's no mounting involved. I doubt that's Hyundai's or any automaker's stock photo, lol.

LOL. That's a much clearer way of describing it!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whether iPad is too big or not is just a preference, so it doesn't matter what others say, as long as it works for you.

For my uses, iPad is impractical to carry around all the time, and isn't as convenient as my standalone GPS, which can take a beating and never has a charging issue, because it charges from its base. I've never needed more screen size than that, so I find no need to use my iPads for GPS.

When I do use my iPads in my car, while my husband drives, I want them accessible to me for surfing and such, not serving as a GPS.

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Whether iPad is too big or not is just a preference, so it doesn't matter what others say, as long as it works for you...

Yeah seriously. Have you seen the factory touchscreen on the Tesla Model S?

tesla_model_s_dashboard_touchscreen-580x383.jpg

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Whether iPad is too big or not is just a preference, so it doesn't matter what others say, as long as it works for you.

For my uses, iPad is impractical to carry around all the time, and isn't as convenient as my standalone GPS, which can take a beating and never has a charging issue, because it charges from its base. I've never needed more screen size than that, so I find no need to use my iPads for GPS.

When I do use my iPads in my car, while my husband drives, I want them accessible to me for surfing and such, not serving as a GPS.

I don't to carry it around all the time, just use it for long trips. Can use phone or nuvi if/when I find a unexpected need for gps. On long trips, iPad plays music, audiobooks, podcast in background while nav is on foreground. As I am alone in car, don't need iPad for other stuff while I'm driving. And it charges fine, ime.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I don't to carry it around all the time, just use it for long trips. Can use phone or nuvi if/when I find a unexpected need for gps. On long trips, iPad plays music, audiobooks, podcast in background while nav is on foreground. As I am alone in car, don't need iPad for other stuff while I'm driving. And it charges fine, ime.

Plus, if I'm out and have a problem or I need to search for gas station I can just open yelp and find what's nearby via lte. Better than using stale maps, too.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I seem to remember you or someone else mentioning charging probs, but I would imagine that would depend on trip length.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plus, if I'm out and have a problem or I need to search for gas station I can just open yelp and find what's nearby via lte. Better than using stale maps, too.

My GPSs have lifetime updatable maps, but maybe others don't.

I have Yelp access via phone, phablet or iPads, whichever I happen to bring along. I just don't care to have iPad as GPS.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I seem to remember you or someone else mentioning charging probs, but I would imagine that would depend on trip length.

Yes, we were discussing this in this thread. It could depend on trip length, but my iPad gains charge on 1-hour trips, so I'm not sure why it would do differently on longer trips. Part of the reason I posted is because I intend to investigate the issue more on this trip. The problem could be screen brightness or even the charger used on the trip, as they are third party.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My GPSs have lifetime updatable maps, but maybe others don't.

I have Yelp access via phone, phablet or iPads, whichever I happen to bring along. I just don't care to have iPad as GPS.

My Nuvi have lifetime makes too, but frankly with a phone and an iPad, I don't see much need for it anymore. However, I bought it well before I had my first iPad and smartphone. I'd rather have fewer devices than more, even though I keep the Nuvi around since I bought it and I don't really need the space in my car. It's my backup GPS. When I get my Nexus 7, it will become my GPS! :) (well, I'll have to make that decision after I see how I like using its 7-inch screen for Nav.)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Nuvi have lifetime makes too, but frankly with a phone and an iPad, I don't see much need for it anymore. However, I bought it well before I had my first iPad and smartphone. I'd rather have fewer devices than more, even though I keep the Nuvi around since I bought it and I don't really need the space in my car. It's my backup GPS. When I get my Nexus 7, it will become my GPS! :) (well, I'll have to make that decision after I see how I like using its 7-inch screen for Nav.)

I had two Garmins before iPad, and have since iPad 1 and 2 replaced one of the Garmins. I'll keep buying them as needed, as long as they keep making them. I have a Garmin in each car in each state where I have homes, and my husband does as well. We leave them in the cars, so it doesn't matter what other devices we might carry.

I used to use maps -- never saw the need for GPS, but I was converted by a gift Garmin.

Most reactions

Latest posts