What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing PDF drawings as books?

kdryan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I think I'm on the right track here, but it's not working so perhaps someone here can help me out.

I have a series of construction drawings for an airplane I need to study. I have them assembled into a PDF which measures about 36 mb in size and had intended to import them as a book onto my iPad so I could study them as needed and they would be in order as opposed to searching all over for images.

However, when I drag and drop the assembled pdf onto My iPad in iTunes, it hangs up indefinitely. I've waited about ten minutes for it to finish, but it never does. I do get the title, but it's grayed out.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong or maybe a better way of doing it?

Kevin

Ian_NZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I have had no trouble with PDF,s in Books or IFiles.
However if the drawings are in dwg ie Autocad format you may find AutocadWS better. It lets you use layers etc. I have it works well but is a bit slow.
Ian

OP
K

kdryan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I did that. I wonder if the size is an issue. Most ebooks seem to be a megabyte or less, while this is 36. Also, although I don't think it matters if it's in a pdf, the resolution on these is HUGE. We're talking around 12,000 pixels by 10,000...

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I might be asking the obvious, but are you importing the file to IBooks on the iPad?
I have a PDF book of over 100MB in IBooks.

The steps that I follow are below.
1. Connect iPad to Itunes
2. Select Books on "Ipad" in Itunes
3. Select from File Drop down menu "add File to Library"
4. Select file
5. Synch iPad.

Hope this helps

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Amazon's "Send to Kindle" service. You can either email it to a Kindle address, or if you have a PC, install the software and then just right-click on any document or PDF and choose "Send to Kindle" and it shows up in my Kindle Library. Could not be simpler.
Amazon.com Help: Kindle Personal Documents Service

The great thing is then you can read them on any device that supports Kindle and you're not tied to an i-Device like you are with iBooks.

Last edited:
OP
K

kdryan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll give that a shot, but my real goal here is not necessarily to get them imported AS a pdf. If there's another way, I am more than willing to listen. These are not Autocad. They're vintage scans from an antique aircraft and are in jped form, but I can convert them...

Most reactions