What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing address book to ipad

limey-g

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I use Thunderbird on my main pc and wondered if anyone has found a way to sync the Thunderbird address book into the Ipad.
Thanks Geoff

Kanga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thunderbird contacts to iPad

My first attempt was to export from Tbird contacts to a CSV file .... install "CSV Touch" on the iPad, then using iTunes, put the CSV file on the iPad and open the contacts in 'CSV Touch'.

It doesn't get the data into 'Contacts' on the iPad but it gets the data to a point where you can email from the iPad.

I have seen another app which can import LDIP files into Contacts ... and Tbird Contacts can export to LDIP .... so that is the next step.

It woul be good if we could simply set iTunes to synch Contacts to Tbird!

Timmah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello there

Here is an easy way to transfer contacts to the iPad. This was formated for the iPod Touch, but will most likely work for the iPad as well.

Requirements - You will need to have:

Windows 7
Mozilla Thunderbird
iTunes
iPod Touch (2nd Gen/ 3rd Gen)

Instructions:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Export your emails contacts from Thunderbird in ".CSV" format.

(Open Thunderbird, click on "Address Book" (Select your Address book)

Go to --> "Tools" --> "Export" --> "Save as Type : Comma Seperated" and save it with a file name of your choice and location (i.e Desktop).

In Windows, click on the Windows Logo (Start Button),

On the search box write "Contacts" and click on the folder with the same name.

In the Folder up on the upper bar that says "Organize -- Include in Library --Share With -- New Contact....etc" click on the button that says

"Import" then choose "CSV" option, click on the "Import" button and "Broswe" the Thunderbird ".CSV" file you exported before and click "Next"

Below the Text field, also select/tick on the "Primary Email" and on the pop-up window titled "Change Mapping" select from the drop down box the "E-mail Address" and click the "ok" button.

Then click "Finish" (Now it should import in vCard format all your email contacts separately in the "Contacts" folder.

Plug in your iPod Touch, and open iTunes (Wait for it to find your iPod Touch)

Then click on your iPod on the left side panel in iTunes under "Devices"

on the right panel window, of your iPod Touch Tabs "Summary -- Applications -- Music -- Movies....etc " click on the last button tab named "Info"

Now where it say's "Contacts" select/tick on the "Sync Contacts With" radio button and select from the drop down box the "Windows Contacts".

Also select/Tick "All Contacts below that"

Click on the "Sync" button to sync your iPod Touch with all your ThunderBird email contacts.

Congratulations!

Let me know if you need any further help.

petervanderweide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you for helping
the problem is I have os xp professional.
it means that step 2 does not work.
Any other solution?

peter

LarryG8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Importing Aol Adress book into Ipad

Mine seems to be a similar problem - Been using AOL since 1987 have over a thousand email address's - just got an Ipad and set up both personal mail from AOL and business which works off an exchange server.
I can read both - THE PROBLEM - when I want to forward an article or email someone and start typing a name I know is in the AOL address book nothing pops up - How can I import all those email address so they do pop up when i start typing a name .......... Many thanks in advance
PS I have the aol address book in a tab delimited text file

MatthewT123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My method for use on XP

In Thunderbird, open the address book, Tools menu, export, save an LDIF file.

Start menu -> accessories -> address book.

menu File -> Import -> Other Address book...

Choose LDIF from the list, and browse to the file saved from Thunderbird.

Now in ITunes, tick "sync contacts with" and select "Windows address book".

macho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IT Works!

Thank you for you instructions on xferring contacts from Tbird on my PC to my IPad2.

It took a little doing as some of the steps were not exactly as described but I worked my way thru it and it worked.

One problem: The 1st time, I accidentally exported ALL my contacts (980) from Thunderbird. I only wanted about 20. I deleted all of the files in the "Contacts" folder and did it over.
This time I got the 20 I wanted. The step to do is to look at the Contacts folder before you sync to the IPAD and be sure you are going to get what you want.

Thanks again.
Macho

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
limey-g said:
Hi, I use Thunderbird on my main pc and wondered if anyone has found a way to sync the Thunderbird address book into the Ipad.
Thanks Geoff

Search app store for thunderbird contacts synchronisation. Download the app and also download free windows program from the developers web site.

Read the help file on the pc.

I use Thunderbird and it worked OK.

KaLaMar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.jimbakkershow.com
Mine seems to be a similar problem - Been using AOL since 1987 have over a thousand email address's - just got an Ipad and set up both personal mail from AOL and business which works off an exchange server.
I can read both - THE PROBLEM - when I want to forward an article or email someone and start typing a name I know is in the AOL address book nothing pops up - How can I import all those email address so they do pop up when i start typing a name .......... Many thanks in advance
PS I have the aol address book in a tab delimited text file

This is simple to do. Go to www . aol . com and log into your email. This is much easier to do from the web interface than the AOL Software interface. Once in, click on the Sync link on the left. Next click on the Mobile Devices button. A new window will open and you will need to login using your aol account information. When logged in you should choose the My device is not a phone link. Next you will see a button that says, iPod Touch. Choose this even if you are using an iPad. Now on your iPad follow the following instructions:
  1. Start App Store (from the home screen)
  2. Select the Search tab
  3. Type Funambol and then Search
  4. Select Funambol ( hint: It is the only app that comes up.)
  5. Click on FREE and then Install
  6. The OneMediaHub client will start to download and install on your device
  7. Wait until installation successfully completes
Step 2: Sync your iPod Touch
  1. Start OneMediaHub
  2. Select Already have an account?
  3. Set Username to your AOL Screenname
  4. Set Password to your AOL Password
  5. Change the default Server address to http: // msync.aol. com/ sync
  6. Press LOGIN to enter the OneMediaHub home screen
  7. Follow the instructions on the display
  8. Press Sync All to start the synchronization
If the setup process takes more than 5-min, you probably did something wrong; however, the syncing process can take quite a while.

lange99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Contacts from Thunderbird to iPad2 ......

Hello there, especially Timmah,

I followed all the steps laid down in Timmah's post, but if I choose "Contacts" under 2. I can not find the option to import data. I also tried "Windows Live Contacts", but I had to install Windows Live first and when I finally found the import option it said my CSV file was no CSV file ... ??!! I am confused. Any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance - lange99

Hello there

Here is an easy way to transfer contacts to the iPad. This was formated for the iPod Touch, but will most likely work for the iPad as well.

Requirements - You will need to have:

Windows 7
Mozilla Thunderbird
iTunes
iPod Touch (2nd Gen/ 3rd Gen)

Instructions:

Export your emails contacts from Thunderbird in ".CSV" format.

(Open Thunderbird, click on "Address Book" (Select your Address book)

Go to --> "Tools" --> "Export" --> "Save as Type : Comma Seperated" and save it with a file name of your choice and location (i.e Desktop).

In Windows, click on the Windows Logo (Start Button),

On the search box write "Contacts" and click on the folder with the same name.

In the Folder up on the upper bar that says "Organize -- Include in Library --Share With -- New Contact....etc" click on the button that says

"Import" then choose "CSV" option, click on the "Import" button and "Broswe" the Thunderbird ".CSV" file you exported before and click "Next"

Below the Text field, also select/tick on the "Primary Email" and on the pop-up window titled "Change Mapping" select from the drop down box the "E-mail Address" and click the "ok" button.

Then click "Finish" (Now it should import in vCard format all your email contacts separately in the "Contacts" folder.

Plug in your iPod Touch, and open iTunes (Wait for it to find your iPod Touch)

Then click on your iPod on the left side panel in iTunes under "Devices"

on the right panel window, of your iPod Touch Tabs "Summary -- Applications -- Music -- Movies....etc " click on the last button tab named "Info"

Now where it say's "Contacts" select/tick on the "Sync Contacts With" radio button and select from the drop down box the "Windows Contacts".

Also select/Tick "All Contacts below that"

Click on the "Sync" button to sync your iPod Touch with all your ThunderBird email contacts.

Congratulations!

Let me know if you need any further help.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
lange99 said:
Hello there, especially Timmah,

I followed all the steps laid down in Timmah's post, but if I choose "Contacts" under 2. I can not find the option to import data. I also tried "Windows Live Contacts", but I had to install Windows Live first and when I finally found the import option it said my CSV file was no CSV file ... ??!! I am confused. Any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance - lange99

See my post above. It transfers Thunderbird contacts without any problems t all.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

lange99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reaction Gtatler,

I just dowloaded and installed the App, but can not locate the free Windows program nor the help file you are referring to. Hope you can help me with further directions ....

Thanks - lange99

Search app store for thunderbird contacts synchronisation. Download the app and also download free windows program from the developers web site.

Read the help file on the pc.

I use Thunderbird and it worked OK.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
lange99 said:
Thanks for your reaction Gtatler,

I just dowloaded and installed the App, but can not locate the free Windows program nor the help file you are referring to. Hope you can help me with further directions ....

Thanks - lange99

Run the app on your iPad. Press the I in the bottom right corner. The resulting text will tell you where to get the PC program and full help file. The site is in German, but just click the download button. The help file is also in English.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts