What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

imovie/youtube/sign in

Davidjking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgive me if this issue has been raised before but I am getting desperate and haven't had time to trawl the forum.
I have just bought an iPad Air and so this is my first venture into the Apple world and I am unfamiliar with the technology having been used to Windows since its creation.
My problem is that I have created a video using iMovie and have reached the stage where I am ready to upload to YouTube. My YouTube account, Creator Studio and Channel are ready but when I go to upload to YouTube I am presented with the 'Sign in to YouTube' tab which I complete correctly and 'enter'. The tab disappears as if to sign me in but then re-appears blank as if to invite me to sign in again and again and again! Clearly then I have not been able to upload my video.
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE WHICH LEADS ME TO OVERCOME THIS PROBLEM.
As an alternative I have signed into my YouTube account separately on the iPad and from the 'My Channel' page I have gone to 'Videos' and pressed 'upload'. This takes me to 'Camera Roll' which only presents me with the actual videos which I have taken and not the iMovie edited version.
IF THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO MY FIRST PROBLEM I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE WHICH OVERCOMES THIS SECOND ISSUE.

ALTERNATIVELY PLEASE ADVISE ANY OTHER SOLUTION BEARING IN MIND THAT I DO NOT HAVE AN IPHONE OR A MAC. MAY BE ABLE TO USE SOMEONE ELSE'S IPHONE HOWEVER.

iOS 8.1.1

I will be so grateful for any help offered. Many thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've had this problem before. What I do is export the movie to Photos first, then I open the YouTube app and upload the movie from there. That almost always works.

I suspect my problem is with Google's two-step authentication, which I have enabled. You need an app specific password for most of Apple's native apps when adding a Google account. I haven't created one for iMove to find out, and I'm not sure whether it would stick, or whether I'd have to generate a new one each time.

So, until I have time to experiment, I just use the above workaround; which works well enough as long as you're not short on storage.

OP
D

Davidjking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet. Problem solved though, as I have been able to call upon good old Windows to solve the problem. I have connected my iPad to my PC using the USB end of the charging cable and them configured the device to the PC. this in turn has allowed me to synchronise the content. This was a tortuous experience as it didn't all happen at once but I prevailed and eventually I was able to search my computer and relieved to find the video had been captured. Thereafter it was a straight forward exercise to upload via YouTube on my PC.
Maybe this is exactly as you have described as exporting your movie to photos!
Any way it is done now but Apple really need to resolve this issue.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm glad you managed a solution.

It is, however, not what I described, or at least not what I meant to describe.

One of the export options in iMovie is Save Video. This saves the video to the Photos app. Once it is in the Photos app the YouTube app (on the iPad) can be used to upload the file. You select My Channels and use the Upload option.

The YouTube app is free. The only downside to downloading it is that it becomes almost impossible to watch YouTube videos in Safari, as they will almost always re-direct and open in the app instead.

Most reactions