What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iMovie for iPad2. How to crop video?

HJS1974

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hy,
I need to crop a video for editing it with photo in iMovie.
The photo and the video were taken with iPhone and when in iMovie they have different aspect ratio.
There's a way to crop the video, or the photo with iPad? Some app for video manipulation?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can't crop the video. You can't really crop the picture, but you can do a few other things.

Once the picture is in the time line select its clip. The larger display window will now have three buttons; Start, Stop, and Done. These are used to set the Ken Burns effects. Tap Start if it is not grayed out. Zoom (pinch gesture) and drag the picture in the window until it looks the way you want it to at the beginning of the clip. Tap End and set the way you want it to look at the end of the clip. Once it is set the way you want tap Done.

Play the clip and see it move from one state to the other. You can of course try (it's tricky) to use the same start and end positions for a still picture.

The picture can not be shrunk further than the screen screen size.

Last edited:
OP
H

HJS1974

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This does not solve my problem.
I need to crop video in such a way to mantain correct aspect ratio, and to fix a 4:3 video to HD resolution of iPad.
The only way is to crop video and than to resize it.
For resizing I've find OneVideoEdit an iPad application.
What I need now is another app that can crop video, this will help me.

You can't crop the video. You can't really crop the picture, but you can do a few other things.

Once the picture is in the time line select its clip. The larger display window will now have three buttons; Start, Stop, and Done. These are used to set the Ken Burns effects. Tap Start if it is not grayed out. Zoom (pinch gesture) and drag the picture in the window until it looks the way you want it to at the beginning of the clip. Tap End and set the way you want it to look at the end of the clip. Once it is set the way you want tap Done.

Play the clip and see it move from one state to the other. You can of course try (it's tricky) to use the same start and end positions for a still picture.

The picture can not be shrunk further than the screen screen size.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All I have is iMovie. I can't help you much beyond that. Hopefully someone else can.

There is another movie editing app for the iPad that other forum members use; ReelDirector, I think. I have no idea if it will do what you want.

OP
H

HJS1974

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This does not solve my problem.
I need to crop video in such a way to mantain correct aspect ratio, and to fix a 4:3 video to HD resolution of iPad.
The only way is to crop video and than to resize it.
For resizing I've find OneVideoEdit an iPad application.
What I need now is another app that can crop video, this will help me.

Have you ever try some converting tools? As I have ever used ifunia, found it have crop function. You could get and try the free trial version to see if it can crop.

I need an app for iPad, not for Mac.
I want to do all the work on iPad without need of a Mac.

Daniel448

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ran ito the same problem, Try using "video editor for free" it allows you to crop videos

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iMovie 11 is the OSX version. It does not run on iOS devices. iOS and OSX are not the same operating system and require different apps.

Apple has a version of iMovie for the iPad. You will find it in the App Store.

Most reactions