What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imessages to Samsungs

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A friend has an iPhone and can use it to send iMessages to a Samsung friend. She also has an iPad with cellular capability but it does not appear to be able to send messages to that person. Is this correct or are we missing something? I should think that it would be able to send imessages over the cellular connection if she, the iPad owner, is in contacts with her phone number but ...?

If not correct, what would be a good app that can do this?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose she sends SMS or MMS to the Samsung friend. It's not possible to send iMessages to other devices than iPod, iPad and iPhone.

Here's the difference between these features: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3529

If the Samsung friend has an Android, it's possible to use Google's Hangouts. It works on iPads as well.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Update: iOS 8.1 allows iPhone users to send SMS and MMS from their iPads. Which means that she'd be able to send these messages to devices other than Apple from her iPad, if both devices (iPhone and iPad) are up to date.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Update: iOS 8.1 allows iPhone users to send SMS and MMS from their iPads. Which means that she'd be able to send these messages to devices other than Apple from her iPad, if both devices (iPhone and iPad) are up to date.

Just to confirm, I would need an iPhone to be able to do this, correct? No way to just use iMessage and text directly from my iPad to non apple device owners, right?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to confirm, I would need an iPhone to be able to do this, correct? No way to just use iMessage and text directly from my iPad to non apple device owners, right?
Right. You can't do this without an iPhone.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In iOS 8.1 you can set up Text Message Forwarding using your iPhone and then send SMS text messages from your iPad using iMessage.

Most reactions