What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iMessage

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,
You know with iMessage on your iPhone u can choose to receive the messages to your mobile number or your email address? I use to receive my iMessages on my iPhone to my number, before I got my iPad, but now I have set iMessage up on my iPhone i am guessing you can only now receive messages at your email address for both devices?

Just looking for someone to confirm this for me please & thank you :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nfs said:
Hey guys,
You know with iMessage on your iPhone u can choose to receive the messages to your mobile number or your email address? I use to receive my iMessages on my iPhone to my number, before I got my iPad, but now I have set iMessage up on my iPhone i am guessing you can only now receive messages at your email address for both devices?

Just looking for someone to confirm this for me please & thank you :)

You should be able to send and receives messages to your cell phone, using the Messages app. When communicating with apple users, you can send using iMessage, which is separate from your phone plan (this works using the email addresses that you associate with the Messages app in settings). If the other user has an iOS 5 device, you will see the word iMessage in the text box when typing your message. Otherwise, it just says Message. If it says Message, then you are texting and that is based on your cell phone plan. I don't think you can do that on an iPad or an ipod but you can on an iPhone.

Anyway, I think this is how it works. :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can have multiple contact information to receive iMessages. For example, on my iPhone, I have it set up to receive messages via two e-mail addresses and/or my phone number. On my iPad, I have it set up to receive iMessages via two e-mail addresses.

The phone doesn't care which you use for iMessages, phone number or e-mail. However, I keep the e-mail address as the primary because then any/all responses get derived to my iPad.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What will happen is if someone messages your email address through iMessage (from another idevice) you will receive the message on both your iPhone and iPad. If someone messages your phone number through iMessage, you will only receive it on your iphone.

The good news is that with ios6, you will be able to receive messages to your iphone number on any idevice.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you all see your own picture in an iMessage chat? I cannot see mine.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Padinator said:
What do you mean with "phone"??

I meant picture. At the side with your message.

Attachments

• image-3129962827.jpg
    image-3129962827.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,878
Last edited:
OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replys guys, but when I go into settings for iMessage on my iPhone, when I go to set up where I want to receive my messages it has changed it to my email address, and I am unable to choose my phone number, it is greyed out and it says error beside it. Anyone know anything of this?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nfs said:
Thanks for all your replys guys, but when I go into settings for iMessage on my iPhone, when I go to set up where I want to receive my messages it has changed it to my email address, and I am unable to choose my phone number, it is greyed out and it says error beside it. Anyone know anything of this?

You don't need to put a phone number in there. A text message sent to your number will be handled by your carrier. It will go to messages but may not be an imessage. All you need to put in are email addresses and these are used by iMessage, an apple iOS device only service provided by Apple.

Frankly, I think apple as made a mess of things by mixing iMessage in with text messages like this. It seems this is very buggy and hard for people to understand.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nfs said:

The number is supposed to be greyed out, but no error. Googling this, I found some results. Try this:

"... navigate to Settings > Messages and turn iMessage off and then back on. Wait for 5 minutes and the phone number in the 'My number' field will be updated ..."

Or

"I solved this by logging out of my apple ID at the Settings->Messages->Recieve at->Apple-ID->Log out. Then I Switched iMessage on and off and waited for a sec and then it worked"

Let us know if it works or not.

AQ_OC said:
You don't need to put a phone number in there. A text message sent to your number will be handled by your carrier. It will go to messages but may not be an imessage. All you need to put in are email addresses and these are used by iMessage, an apple iOS device only service provided by Apple.

Frankly, I think apple as made a mess of things by mixing iMessage in with text messages like this. It seems this is very buggy and hard for people to understand.

I think what he is saying is that he CAN'T receive iMessages from his phone number on his iPhone. If people want to iMessage him, they have to use his email. For some reason his phone number is not being accepted by iMessages

Last edited:
OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score

But before I got my iPad I was able to receive my iMessages at my mobile number now this is no longer a choice, that's what I am saying here..

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think what he is saying is that he CAN'T receive iMessages from his phone number on his iPhone. If people want to iMessage him, they have to use his email. For some reason his phone number is not being accepted by iMessages

Yes this is what I am saying but I am a she lol :) thanks I will try your suggestions

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nfs said:
But before I got my iPad I was able to receive my iMessages at my mobile number now this is no longer a choice, that's what I am saying here..

iPad only received iMessage, iPhone not the case. Can get both text and iMessage.

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad only received iMessage, iPhone not the case. Can get both text and iMessage.

I know this.. No one is understanding me :( its ok thanks for your help..
Sonicrobby has solved my problem anyway, thank you!

Most reactions

Latest posts