What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iMessage messages go to both ipad AND iphone

ChristianaR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure there's any easy face palm answer to this, but when I iMessage my mother, she intermittently also gets the same thing sent to her iPhone. How can we stop this? I've tried to replicate it on my iPad and iPhone, but have no idea what she's done in her settings! And she's in another city, so I've kinda got to remotely fix it. Lol.

OP
ChristianaR

ChristianaR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm signed in on both my iPhone and iPad, and I don't get them coming through on both. My iPad (and mums) have email addresses on the iPad, and phone numbers for the phones.

Plus, it only started doing this about 2 weeks ago. Never did it before that, so it's to to be in the setup.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have my iPhone set up to receive messages from both the number and my email, my iPad just my email. If my kids message to my number only my phone gets the message, if they send to my email, my iPad and phone get the message. So maybe your mum has her phone set up to receive by number and email, and this will depend which one your using to message her.

OP
ChristianaR

ChristianaR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sound exactly what it is... So how do we change it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I spend a considerable amount of time adding removing iMessage from my iPhone and iPad so that it would have the same messages on both devices. I'm still not sure what obscure combination worked.

However, if you want to keep them separate it is simple enough. Go into iMessage settings on the iPhone, tap the Receive At option then tap the Apple ID and sign out. This should remove the Apple ID email address, but leave the phone number.

I'm almost certain this will work. I just finished fiddling with FaceTime and that is how it works. However, if it doesn't, just sign in with the Apple ID again to be back where you started, which is working at least; if not the way you want.

Edit: this will stop the iPhone from receiving both by phone number and email (as Leelai described).

Last edited:
OP
ChristianaR

ChristianaR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, that looks like it is where it can be turned off. Thanks for all your help!

Most reactions

Latest posts