What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iMessage Issues

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad Air, iOS 7,1, 128 GB

Having issues with iMessage that I am still troubleshooting. I have to get back to my daughter and find out exactly what devices my iMessages are showing up on on her devices and have her iMessage me back so I can see exactly where hers are showing up on my end.but this is what has happened so far that I am sure about.

Yesterday she iMessaged me twice and I did not receive either, even though they said they were received, which caused her to worry because I always respond quickly. I iMessaged my other daughter two days ago and it said it was received, but I never got a response back. Wasn't an important message, so I just ignored it. Now I am wondering if she really got it.

The issue I am going to get more specifics on is that when I iMessaged someone with more than one iPad/iPhone device before the message showed up on all devices and the message also showed up on all my devices, not just the one I used to send it. Now, it is not happening. I am a little unsure of if it is not showing up on all my devices when I receive and send, or if it is just showing up on one of my daughter's devices, but until I find out (she is working right now), does anyone else have an issue similar and how did you deal with it? Figured I would check settings while I wait to be able to contact my daughter. Sometimes it takes a while to get responses back from her. Maybe after not getting two back from me, she will reconsider that practice. LOL

Yes, we are using iMessage and they are iMessage devices. Yes, machines have been turned off and on. Yes, the messages used to work and settings had not been changed before this happened, although I did fiddle with them last night after the issue of not receiving my daughter's two messages surfaced. Anything I can look at at my end until I can contact my daughter would be helpful. I looked at instructions for iMessage and I seem to be set up properly, but I could be wrong. Thanks.

Contra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadjunkies.net
I just wish the imessage wasn't just for the ios system
but for any system

I have "TabletTalk" for my Android phone and tablet, it sends messages via my phone (via Bluetooth) and any phone can receives them, Apple needs to come up with something similar too

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@caq:

What are your settings for iMessages (on all your idevices)? Sometimes, they can get messed up - or there are too many settings - or messages just don't work as we expect.

I put the last bit there cause, TBH, I'm a little confused by iMessage. Once I've got it set, I leave it alone cause I, too, have messages that do or don't show up.

So, to start off on the trouble-shooting trail, in Settings, please list your iMessage settings, like I have here:

y4unu7eb.jpg

Be sure to blur them out (as I've done) or use fake info...

Hopefully, we can help figure this out.

Marilyn

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marilyn,

Here are my settings. I have used Skitch and labeled them to show which is the pad setting and which is the phone setting. I pixels them but left enough to show which are email addresses and which are phone numbers.

My iPad will not allow me to,use my phone number. I figured it was because it is not a phone, or I am doing something wrong.

image-1289227820.jpg

I can't add my phone number to settings on the iPad Air, although in contacts the little text bubble icon shows up beside the phone number beside my contact info. Clicking to add another email, is just that. It will only allow me to add another email address.

image-3849403537.jpg

Other than the phone being on the phone and not on the pad, they are the same.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found the answer to my iMessage issue. Rather than put the solution at the end, I will put it here and then the explanation after so if you need to just fix your iMessage you don't have to read this whole thing unless you want more info.

If your iMessage is no longer using your cell phone number, or simply not working properly, go to Settings/iMessages. Click the Apple ID Box that has the email address and sign out. Exit out and go back there and sign back in and follow the prompts. For more info read on. This is the quick and dirty explanation.

My thinking was, if it isn't working to just start over. It worked.

Apparently, when it was updated, or when I changed the password to my Apple ID, the settings for the iMessage were changed because it is now back to what it was when I had started from the get go. I figured I would start over from scratch. Here is what I did.

I went to the iMessages in Settings. Clicked the option for send and receive list. I then clicked my Apple ID account section and signed out. I then closed settings and went back into settings. Then I signed in and entered the information to sign in. I was hoping it would ask for the information as to how I wanted to be contacted by others and start a conversation. It did not. Furthermore, there was no option to go back or to continue. Basically no way to exit that screen so I pressed the home key.

I went back into settings. I selected the iMessage and then to add the send and receive info. It asked me for my Apple ID info, which I did. All of a sudden, my phone number was there with the check mark and so were the email addresses. I didn't have to re-enter them.

Take note: It seems to default to your iCloud address for starting a new conversation every time you do anything (or at least updating or signing out/in), so I changed it to what I want to use. If you ever make changes to the iMessage or update your phone, as a precaution, check your iMessages to see if the option for how you want to start a conversation has changed. I then checked my iPad and lo and behold, it is back to where it was from the get to. My phone is listed as an option to receive with along with some email addresses and all are checked. The phone number is also the option that is checked for starting a conversation.

Last edited:

Most reactions