What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Scifan.. - when our son was a teenager, we took him to Europe twice (Scotland/England & Paris/France), so we were probably in London in the late 1980s - he & I went to St. Paul's Cathedral and first climbed to the 'Whispering Gallery' (pic below from the web - scary to look down); then we climbed further to get outside on the viewing roof (suspect a similar view as you show above although some new buildings & attractions have been added). Although as a teen age boy, his favorite attractions there were the London Dungeon, Tower of London, & Madame Tussards Wax Museum - ;) Dave

P.S. I assume that we were on that staircase - any other way to get up there? Can't remember an elevator - :rolleyes:
View attachment 65215
The stairs in my post are from the level of the whispering gallery to the top of the dome. There's no elevator or any kind of handicapped access to the top of the dome, although I believe there is an elevator that goes as far as the whispering gallery.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The stairs in my post are from the level of the whispering gallery to the top of the dome. There's no elevator or any kind of handicapped access to the top of the dome, although I believe there is an elevator that goes as far as the whispering gallery.

Thanks for the info - not sure how we got to the 'Whispering Gallery' but would have had to climb those stairs to reach the top outside - the view was spectacular - I had bought 2 all-day tube tickets and told my son to be careful that his would not blow away; WELL, mine was the one that took off flying across the London skies - still get a chuckle out of that one! :D Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a tough one as spiral staircases go, 311 steps to the top of The Monument. Erected near the site where the Great Fire of 1666 started.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here's a much shorter spiral staircase, located in the Covent Garden Apple Store.
image.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As promised, the other windows:
View attachment 65235
Btw: I forgot to add last time: all of these pictures were taken with my iPhone.

Hi Johanna - beautiful modern artsy stained glass windows - thanks!

For those who like stained glass windows and might be near or visiting Washington, D.C., then I would recommend a trip to the National Cathedral (two pics, outside & inside below from the web) - there are over 200 windows with varied subjects, some traditional, and others related to world religions, nations, history, etc. - added some examples (all images from the web) - even one dedicated to the Confederate general, Stonewall Jackson - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-06-06 at 4.01.08 PM.png
The_National_Cathedral.JPG
StonewallJackson.JPG
Stained_glass_window_Washington_National_Cathedral_2012_06.JPG
SpaceWindow2.jpeg
Screen Shot 2015-06-06 at 3.23.44 PM.png
Clerestory_window_-_North_Nave_02_-_National_Cathedral_-_DC.JPG

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When we flew to Prague, we flew Aeroflot, and the flight attendants actually looked like this poster - it was straight out of the 1960s!

Hey Bob - reminds my of a flying experience - back in the late 1980s, my colleague & I got the chance to fly from Kennedy Airpot in NYC to Paris and back on the 'baby' shown below - MACH 2+ @ 60,000 ft - 3 hours to Paris - paid for by two companies in which we had a competing $3 million deal to settle on X-ray equipment - who to chose?

The stewardesses where gorgeous French gals who serve us the best food that I ever had on an airplane (yes, better that peanuts and a drink) - now just a memory for me & the plane - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-06-07 at 10.02.03 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Bob - reminds my of a flying experience - back in the late 1980s, my colleague & I got the chance to fly from Kennedy Airpot in NYC to Paris and back on the 'baby' shown below - MACH 2+ @ 60,000 ft - 3 hours to Paris - paid for by two companies in which we had a competing $3 million deal to settle on X-ray equipment - who to chose?

The stewardesses where gorgeous French gals who serve us the best food that I ever had on an airplane (yes, better that peanuts and a drink) - now just a memory for me & the plane - Dave :)
View attachment 65272
Concorde actually flew to Regina, Saskatchewan once when it brought the President of France for a visit.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Concorde actually flew to Regina, Saskatchewan once when it brought the President of France for a visit.

Curious how the 'sonic boom' issue was handled over land? When we took off from Kennedy Airport, the 'after burners' (may not be the right name) were activated over the ocean and you could feel the thrust as the MACH meter went above one and finally to 2+, then of course coming over land in Europe the plane slowed down - just curious if the Concorde was flying sub-sonic to Regina - have no idea, sorry? Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Curious how the 'sonic boom' issue was handled over land? When we took off from Kennedy Airport, the 'after burners' (may not be the right name) were activated over the ocean and you could feel the thrust as the MACH meter went above one and finally to 2+, then of course coming over land in Europe the plane slowed down - just curious if the Concorde was flying sub-sonic to Regina - have no idea, sorry? Dave :)
They had to fly at subsonic speeds all the way across Canada. Very fuel inefficient, even for Concorde. I don't think any countries let Concorde fly at supersonic speeds over land. That's what killed it in terms of long term sustainability.

Most reactions

Latest posts